Texas A&M

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Has anybody that received phone calls gotten their packets in the mail yet?
received mine today as well

Members don't see this ad.

yeah got my packet yesterday. also got ahold my immunization record. apparently i already got my hep b stuff done so meningitis and im good to go! :cool:

I'm trying to decide between TX Tech and A&M... This is so hard! :(

Members don't see this ad :)
I am also deciding b/t tech and a&m..i have to come up with a decision soon, this is stressing me out more than it should haha

Oh man, looks like there's quite a few of us on this boat! atxprepharm, I think that it is especially stressful since a&m's deposit is a hefty $500, so you are right to be stressed out though I know that prob doesn't help. Where are y'all from?

Oh man, looks like there's quite a few of us on this boat! atxprepharm, I think that it is especially stressful since a&m's deposit is a hefty $500, so you are right to be stressed out though I know that prob doesn't help. Where are y'all from?

Im from Houston. I think I'm leaning towards Texas Tech.

Where are you from?

Im from Houston. I think I'm leaning towards Texas Tech.

Where are you from?

I am from Houston as well. I keep switching back and forth between leaning toward Tech and leaning toward A&M...

I am from Houston as well. I keep switching back and forth between leaning toward Tech and leaning toward A&M...

I'm from Houston too. At first I was leaning towards Tech but now leaning towards A&M now because of numerous reasons. But Tech is such an awesome school! Too bad its in the middle of storm central.

I'm from Houston too. At first I was leaning towards Tech but now leaning towards A&M now because of numerous reasons. But Tech is such an awesome school! Too bad its in the middle of storm central.

What are your reasons, if you don't mind sharing?

What are your reasons, if you don't mind sharing?

Sure, I like A&M mostly for it's location (only 3.5 hr drive from Houston vs. 9 hr drive to Amarillo). I love hot weather, so Kingsville is obviously the better choice. It's also cheaper, not by that much though but hey, it's a perk. Also I don't have to take economics as a pre-req for A&M. I like the housing options that A&M offers; you can walk to school if you live close to campus. And I have a couple friends that already go to this school too.

One of my concerns about this school is that it is relatively new; the first graduating class was in ~2006. Also, the NAPLEX scores for graduates are lower than Tech's. The minimal requirements to be considered for A&M is lower than Tech's (minimal PCAT score is 40% for A&M, 50% for Tech/ 2.75 GPA vs. 3.0 GPA). Also comparing both interview processes, I really liked Tech's over A&M. Tech was more welcoming and even though it was in such a desolate area, they made me feel at home. Not that A&M didn't make me feel at home, Tech was just a little better.

It's a really difficult decision for me because I'm basically deciding the next 4 years of my life and I want it to be the right decision. I have already turned down 5 other schools up to this point which has made me think about what could have been if I had gone to any of those other schools. I know, I shouldn't think that way but hey, I can wonder right?

Last edited:
Does anyone know when the next invites are going out?

Members don't see this ad :)
Tech was more welcoming and even though it was in such a desolate area, they made me feel at home. Not that A&M didn't make me feel at home, Tech was just a little better.

This makes me a bit sad considering most people say they choose our school because they felt more welcome than anywhere else. :( Myself included. Well, of course I hope you choose A&M because I would not change my decision if I had to do it again, but best of luck to you wherever you go. :)

I am also deciding b/t tech and a&m..i have to come up with a decision soon, this is stressing me out more than it should haha

lol....I feel for you all. I was in the same boat two years ago. Trying to decide between TX Tech & TX A&M. You just have to pick the school that you feel is a better fit for you. Good luck!

Sure, I like A&M mostly for it's location (only 3.5 hr drive from Houston vs. 9 hr drive to Amarillo). I love hot weather, so Kingsville is obviously the better choice. It's also cheaper, not by that much though but hey, it's a perk. Also I don't have to take economics as a pre-req for A&M. I like the housing options that A&M offers; you can walk to school if you live close to campus. And I have a couple friends that already go to this school too.

One of my concerns about this school is that it is relatively new; the first graduating class was in ~2006. Also, the NAPLEX scores for graduates are lower than Tech's. The minimal requirements to be considered for A&M is lower than Tech's (minimal PCAT score is 40% for A&M, 50% for Tech/ 2.75 GPA vs. 3.0 GPA). Also comparing both interview processes, I really liked Tech's over A&M. Tech was more welcoming and even though it was in such a desolate area, they made me feel at home. Not that A&M didn't make me feel at home, Tech was just a little better.

It's a really difficult decision for me because I'm basically deciding the next 4 years of my life and I want it to be the right decision. I have already turned down 5 other schools up to this point which has made me think about what could have been if I had gone to any of those other schools. I know, I shouldn't think that way but hey, I can wonder right?

These are basically the same reasons why I'm leaning towards Tech. Texas tech has better numbers: NAPLEX, GPA, and higher ranking. If I'm going to choose the school that will be most beneficial for my future, I think that graduating from a more known school with a higher rank will be more beneficial in terms of landing a job later on. Not that A&M won't do the same but like you mentioned, A&M is a relatively new school.

Yeah A&m is closer to houston but, it's only four years. I'm making a decision that will affect the rest of my life, so I don't want to let factors like location and who I already know at the school affect that outcome. And since the price difference b/t the two schools is really not that much, I think the edge goes to Tech. Also I don't want to drive to a different city for rotations. I hate driving for more than 2 hours.. If I go to tech I'll probably fly. Plane ticket will be cheaper than gas expense.

Housing! I am so pumped about getting in that I haven't focused on anything else lol... Anybody looking for a roommate?

These are basically the same reasons why I'm leaning towards Tech. Texas tech has better numbers: NAPLEX, GPA, and higher ranking. If I'm going to choose the school that will be most beneficial for my future, I think that graduating from a more known school with a higher rank will be more beneficial in terms of landing a job later on. Not that A&M won't do the same but like you mentioned, A&M is a relatively new school.

Yeah A&m is closer to houston but, it's only four years. I'm making a decision that will affect the rest of my life, so I don't want to let factors like location and who I already know at the school affect that outcome. And since the price difference b/t the two schools is really not that much, I think the edge goes to Tech. Also I don't want to drive to a different city for rotations. I hate driving for more than 2 hours.. If I go to tech I'll probably fly. Plane ticket will be cheaper than gas expense.

I am leaning more towards Tech too now, for the same reasons as y'all mentioned. I love that we can do P3 and P4 in Dallas. Even if the commute to rotations might be more, I think that I will still prefer to go to Dallas. Plus, it is closer to Houston than both Amarillo and Kingsville are. Even though at A&M you could potentially get Houston for P4, you're still in Kingsville for three years. . .
atxprepharm, you know that for anatomy labs we have to drive to Lubbock, right? I hope that students carpool for those. I didn't like the laptop requirement at Tech, but whatever.

I really liked that ILRCOP was next to TAMUK though, because it made it seem like a fun/lively campus to be on (unlike Tech). They have more eateries on campus too which is always a plus...and a gym and library. And I loved the warm weather. I guess those will have to be sacrifices if we choose Tech.

I was in the same boat. I narrowed my choices down to two schools TT and A&M.
It took me a long time to figure which one I wanted, but I know I made the right choice in picking A&M.

I did a lot of pros and cons list and asked a lot of people for advice I even talked to people from both schools.

TT is a higher rank, BUT A&M is still new and we already shot up and tied with UH in rankings. I have no doubt that A&M will continue to rise and keep on improving.

I also picked A&M because of the distance from home which is in Houston. I go back 1-2 times every month and it's only a 2-3 hour drive. The drive to TT was horrible for me and I would have to fly every time I wanted to go back and flights can be a tad expensive also not being able to go back any weekend I wanted would have been a bummer.

The thing that won it for me though was the hospitality and how welcomed I felt at the school. Everyone at the school genuinely loved the school. It was the only place where everyone I asked about and talked to would say that picking A&M was the best choice they ever made. This was something important for me because I would be there for 3 years.
Also the weather and smell is whole lot better than TT.

The thing that won it for me though was the hospitality and how welcomed I felt at the school. Everyone at the school genuinely loved the school. It was the only place where everyone I asked about and talked to would say that picking A&M was the best choice they ever made. This was something important for me because I would be there for 3 years.
Also the weather and smell is whole lot better than TT.

You said 3 years. Where do you go P4 year?

You said 3 years. Where do you go P4 year?

Anywhere you want---for the most part. I will be in Houston for my 4th year next year. 85% of my class or so got their 1st choice in location. The rest got their 2nd choice, no one got worse than that.

I just got accepted into TT today and i will most likely choose Tech since I'm from Dallas and i have the option to come back for the last 2 years... Although i really liked the option of having the recreation center right next door in kingsville... Most likely i will give up my spot at A&M once the deadline approaches...
anybody else choose A&M over Tech and in a similar situation??

Just got a call and I've been accepted. WOOOOOO!!!!!!:):):):):):):):)

Anywhere you want---for the most part. I will be in Houston for my 4th year next year. 85% of my class or so got their 1st choice in location. The rest got their 2nd choice, no one got worse than that.

Oh that's pretty awesome. Well now I think I am going here after all. :)

I just got accepted into TT today and i will most likely choose Tech since I'm from Dallas and i have the option to come back for the last 2 years... Although i really liked the option of having the recreation center right next door in kingsville... Most likely i will give up my spot at A&M once the deadline approaches...

Yup, that's me. I was accepted into Tech first and recently got accepted into A&M so that's most likely where I'll be going.

I got my acceptance call tonight at 8:20!!! Beyond excited! SEE YOU CLASS OF 2017! :D

I'm like some of the others and still deciding between schools. Can someone talk about the cirriculum, tests, and how you study (...lectures? books? slides?). I remember hearing about tests every other week? Also touch on the benchmarks? Some other schools I'm considering don't have the same scheduling and I think that's what the decision is going to come down to. Thanks in advance. :)

Me. I'm probably going to give up my seat at A&m and accept TT also.

I'm like some of the others and still deciding between schools. Can someone talk about the cirriculum, tests, and how you study (...lectures? books? slides?). I remember hearing about tests every other week? Also touch on the benchmarks? Some other schools I'm considering don't have the same scheduling and I think that's what the decision is going to come down to. Thanks in advance. :)

Your testing can vary from class to class, so your schedule can be anything. The school does set your exam schedule so you dont have more than one test a day and you have at least one day off between every test. I've attached what the P1 fall test schedule looked like for them this year (it changes from year to year depending on how the professors decide to run the class)

Attachments

• Core Recitation Schedule P1 F12.pdf
    19.8 KB · Views: 93
Does anyone have information about a possible tuition increase in the near future and how much it will be?

That's one awesome thing about our school...tests are spread out. You will not have 2+ tests on the same day. Also, another perk you might want to consider...my class (2014) will be the first at our school that will graduate with an Medication Therapy Management (MTM) certification. We are the 2nd in Texas to do this and only like 25 or so programs in the country offer this upon graduation. Another great way to market yourself.

Does anyone have information about a possible tuition increase in the near future and how much it will be?

The Dean just told Student Council that tuition will not increase for the coming year. We are still one of the cheapest, yet high quality, programs out there.

The Dean just told Student Council that tuition will not increase for the coming year. We are still one of the cheapest, yet high quality, programs out there.

Ok thank you!!:)

I still did not receive any phone calls. Do you guys think that all the seats are filled by now? I feel so sad:( Thanks.

HI! Long time lurker, first time on here. I got on to encourage everyone that is still waiting. After seeing all the acceptances going out first round, I didn't let that get me down, but once second round of calls had been going out, I almost gave up. I created this to tell those waiting not to give up. I just received a call this evening. Hang in there!

Sorry if this has been brought up already in this thread, but is there another roll call thread for the class of 2017?

me too! It's definitely tough, but I am trying to stay as positive as possible :)

When does the academic calendar come out for 2013-2014? Pre-orientation last year was on June 1st. I'm wondering if it'll be May 31st this year or June 7th.

When does the academic calendar come out for 2013-2014? Pre-orientation last year was on June 1st. I'm wondering if it'll be May 31st this year or June 7th.

It's May 31 according to current students.

Hey guys, does anyone know if A&M allows you to drop classes? I'm currently taking prereqs for another school, which aren't required for A&M.

Hey guys, does anyone know if A&M allows you to drop classes? I'm currently taking prereqs for another school, which aren't required for A&M.
Yes. I was in the same boat. I was just taking one class this semester that was not a requirement for a&m. I got accepted so i dropped the course. I called and made sure it was ok first.

Yes. I was in the same boat. I was just taking one class this semester that was not a requirement for a&m. I got accepted so i dropped the course. I called and made sure it was ok first.

Great! Thanks :)

May 31st on the Student Affairs Calendar at our school. Role call on the facebook group (except half of them are current students lol)

Have there been any more calls? :(

The deadline to accept/decline the most recent batch of admission offers was 04/02. They did allow an extension to complete the immunization forms...for me at least. So I'd probably give it a week or two before they settle everything down and any further calls are made.

just declined my offer of admissions. I hope my spot goes to someone well deserving for such a great school. Best of luck guys.