Texas Applicant 3.9 uGPA, 2.8 gGPA, 3.4 cGPA, 39 MCAT, weak ECs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ZPakEffect

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
uGPA: 3.9
sGPA: 4.0
gGPA: 2.8 (law school)
TMDSAS cGPA: 3.4

MCAT: 39 (12/13/14)

No volunteering yet. Trying to get started at a couple of places.

Full time ED scribe. Scribes at our hospital are VERY involved and quite possibly do more than scribes at any other hospital in the country. We not only document history, ROS, and PEx, we also input lab and radiology orders for doctors to review and approve, carry their phones and/or Voceras to answer calls from nurses and pages from the front desk, prepare all patient discharge documentation, and much more.

150 hours of genetics research.

Editor on the law review of a top 14 law school.

Extensive work experience from fast food in high school, to cashier/photo tech at CVS and material handler in a factory in college, to legal research assistant during law school, to pharmacy technician and now ED scribe during post-bacc years.

Obviously, my app has very strong points, but also very weak points. I didn't have any student organization participation in college due to working almost full time while attending school. I have no volunteering as of now. I hope to have about 120 hours of volunteering by the time I apply.

1st generation immigrant; ORM.

What are my chances at all the Texas schools? I would strongly prefer MD as I am very skeptical of the usage of OMM/OMT as a therapeutic technique. I would like some input as to whether I can get away with leaving out TCOM.

Thanks for your help in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

If you apply early (Like first half of May) I'd be willing to bet money you get interviews nearly everywhere. The only hard part of your application is explaining why you want to switch from law school as many adcoms have stated on here they think it appears law grads are trying to leave a dying field. @Goro has specifically stated his school won't even look at law school gpa's.

Reactions: 1 user
Stick with the TX MD schools and I think you'll be fine. Throw in next door Tulane as well.

BTW, I've had OMT done on me and the effects are near miraculous. Don't be so blasé as to write it off. If Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center can devote a full webpage to OMT, turning up your nose at TCOM might be not a wise choice.

Reactions: 1 user
What are my chances at all the Texas schools? I would strongly prefer MD as I am very skeptical of the usage of OMM/OMT as a therapeutic technique. I would like some input as to whether I can get away with leaving out TCOM.

I highly recommend that you don't leave TCOM off your list, very few patients are going to care if you are an MD or DO. TCOM has a great reputation and produces excellent physicians.