Texas Applicant, advice please

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JJArms22

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, with match day just a little while away, I was wondering if I could get some advice. I'm from Texas and applied only in Texas. I interviewed at 4 schools: UTMB, Southwestern, Paul Foster, and UTSA. Anyways, I've pretty much narrowed my number 1 ranking to either being UTMB or Paul Foster. I got pre-matched to UTMB. However, I'm from El Paso (Paul Foster is located here in case you didn't know) born and raised. On the one hand I would like to go to UTMB because it'd be different and I could "expand my horizons." But I can't help wonder what it'd be like to just go to medical school at home. I know it'd be less expensive, and I'd have my family for support, but I'm not sure this is enough to outweigh going to UTMB. I feel like Paul Foster is a good school, but then I'd also feel like I took the easy way out because I didn't want to take a risk. I do like that the class size is small at Foster, but I also like many things from UTMB as well. If I had to wager I'd say UTMB is the better school simply because it's more established, but like all the Texas schools, the margin of difference is low. I apologize if this seems like one big rant. I'm just very confused right now. If anybody has an opinion please feel free to reply. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Make yourself a list of the pros and cons of each option. I'd suggest a 5-point scale, with 5 being 'much better than' the other school, 3 being 'same as' and 1 being 'much worse than', and see how things shake out. Be brutally honest with yourself, and acknowledge if you find yourself 'tipping the scale' -- That's a valuable clue to what you want. Also rate the importance of each decision factor.

On your list, do include the practical life advantages of 'staying home' (the easy availability of good home-cooked food,household supplies, logistical and emotional support when you need it) and the 'seeing something new' advantages of going elsewhere. (Have you ever lived elsewhere?) Consider differences in the weather (dry heat and a real winter vs. tropical humidity, which can be over-bearing and lethargy-inducing if you're not used to it). Students seem to love both schools, so that might be a wash.

Acknowledge the 'what other people think' factor, because it's clouding your judgement. In fact, I'd suggest you give it its own category so you can split it out and separate your internal motivations from your influence factors. UTMB does have a well-established reputation, and Foster is generally regarded as the 'easiest to get into' school...

but then I'd also feel like I took the easy way out because I didn't want to take a risk.

Is this how you'd perceive yourself? Or how you'd be afraid others might perceive you? How much truth is there to this? ARE you afraid to take a risk? What would you do if no one was looking and/or judging?

Ultimately, this has to be your own decision. And frankly, I don't think there's a bad decision here. Odds are good you'd be really happy at either school --