Texas applicant chances and future plans.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Noctis

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I was wondering what my chances are for getting into medical school this time around. This was my second time applying and I only applied to Texas schools. I recently graduated from Baylor University this past May with a B.S. in Chemistry. I am currently working full time as a lab tech in a non medical environment. I am also continuing to shadow doctors and volunteer on a weekly basis.

Here are my stats.
I submitted my TMDSAS app on June 4th with secondaries soon thereafter.
TMDASA calculates my GPAs as :

GPA:
Overall GPA: 3.59
Overall BCPM GPA: 3.39
Undergrad GPA: 3.59
Undergrad BCPM GPA: 3.39
Undergrad Non-BCPM GPA: 3.84

MCAT Scores:
04/24/2014 (VR)-6 (PS)-10 (BS)-10 Total - 26
08/09/2013 (VR)-5 (PS)-09 (BS)-10 Total - 24
05/23/2013 (VR)-7 (PS)-10 (BS)-08 Total - 25

Research:
Spent 2 1/2 conducting inorganic chemistry research, Over 1000 hours.
2 - second author publications

Shadowing:
Roughly 250 Hours shadowing two different infectious disease doctors both in the clinic and hospital settings.

Volunteering:
Only about 150 hours of volunteering while in college and currently adding more.

Extracurriculars:
Was part of the Baylor Rowing club for 2 years and held a leadership position for 1 year.
Was also part of multiple multicultural organizations during all 4 years of college.

Other than suggesting my chances, I would also like some advice on what else I can work on to improve my chances if I don't get in this time either. I was thinking I needed to retake the MCAT and improve my Verbal score. That and I was considering applying to the Masters program at UNT to boost my GPA.

Feel free to ask for any clarifications or mention something I may have missed. Any advice is welcome.
Thanks in advance.
-Noctis.

Members don't see this ad.

Did you apply to the DO school? Your MCAT and GPA are on the low side for the other Texas schools.

Reactions: 1 user
26 is a 10th percentile score for most of the Texas schools and assuming you're a Texas resident and applied to all 9 Texas schools, there is a 30-40% chance that you will receive interview invites from any school. The problem is that your entire application (MCAT score, GPA, ECs) is mediocre. If you have to re-apply next year, improve MCAT score and consider a post-bacc or SMP program.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
As above, you should apply to DO schools. You still have a minimal chance of getting into MD schools in Texas, but I wouldn't bet on it (remember, interview does not equal acceptance).

I did apply to the DO school in Texas. Other than trying to improve my mcat and doing a post bac program, what else should I try improve?

The only thing that can be improved is your volunteering.What is your volunteering in? Is it clinical? If not, you should have some as shadowing isn't enough. The rest of your extracurriculars are fine. The main thing that would hold you back is your GPA and MCAT. Try to get one of them higher to stand a chance in MD schools. You are around the median MCAT and GPA for the Texas DO school.

Alright, thanks for the advice everyone. I will prepare to retake the MCAT in January then.

I do have another question though. Assuming that I won't get in this cycle, would there be a significant enough change for me to try and apply next cycle if I do improve my MCAT score? Say to a 29 0r 30? I would also would have been working full time and a low increase in both shadowing and volunteering (around 200 hrs each?) During this time I would also be applying to a SMP program that starts in May. Should I apply next June, or wait till after my SMP program to apply as a reapplicant?

Thanks again