Texas applicant DO school list

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

swivelj

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Sorry for adding to the abundnace of these presently.

Stats:
MCAT 30(11,10,9)
GPA 3.7 with retakes should be 3.8

EC's
~9,350 hrs healthcare experience (100hr Shadowing, 8,500 Medical lab Scientist, 750 Clinical Rotations)
325 hrs community service
two management positions through past work experiences.
DO LOR

Background:
Non-URM, Disadvantaged applicant, old (29 yo), from small rural farming town pop. ~4000

I really think if I end up going out of state that HPSP would be something I strongly consider. So beyond cost, big concerns are that I prefer a smaller town (easy commute ; lower cost of living) and strong clinical affiliations.

Current List
A.T. Still
KCU
MSU
Oklahoma State
PCOM
LECOM
DMU
Rocky Vista
TCOM

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Take MSU off the list not only because their out of state tuition is more than $80,000 a year but also because the winters in Michigan are brutally cold.

Reactions: 1 user
You look like a great applicant. Good luck this cycle.

Members don't see this ad :)
Take MSU off the list not only because their out of state tuition is more than $80,000 a year but also because the winters in Michigan are brutally cold.

Ok I can agree with the cold weather, not a fan. However, if you had your tuition paid for, would the cold weather be enough to keep you from attending? Is East Lansing an ok place to live? All this considering the strength of the school and university affiliations.

You look like a great applicant. Good luck this cycle.

Thanks! And good luck to you as well my friend!

Your app looks great! Agree with taking off MSUCOM

Don't know why everyone is advising you to remove MSUCOM from your list, especially if you're considering HPSP. You're an excellent candidate and MSUCOM has so much to offer. It's your call whether or not Michigan climate is something you're willing to tolerate, but I don't really think it's a great reason to eliminate a school from your list. Several other schools on your list are in locations with harsh/cold winters, as well.

I'd say your chances look great at any of the TX state medical schools (I am assuming you are applying to those as well), and I am sure that TCOM is going to send you an interview invite. I foresee you having a very successful application cycle. Good luck!

I'd say your chances look great at any of the TX state medical schools (I am assuming you are applying to those as well), and I am sure that TCOM is going to send you an interview invite. I foresee you having a very successful application cycle. Good luck!

Thanks! And I am applying in Texas as well. I just want to give myself the best possible chance of practicing.... I can see myself doing that in another state and as a DO or MD as well.

Ok I can agree with the cold weather, not a fan. However, if you had your tuition paid for, would the cold weather be enough to keep you from attending? Is East Lansing an ok place to live? All this considering the strength of the school and university affiliations.

It is not that the Michigan winters are a dealbreaker by themselves. However, the $80,000 tuition plus the brutal winters can add up to convince someone not to even bother applying there. However, if your tuition is paid for, then MSUCOM is a great school with outstanding clinical rotations and excellent residency placements. Also, Michigan is a very friendly state towards osteopathic physicians.

It is not that the Michigan winters are a dealbreaker by themselves. However, the $80,000 tuition plus the brutal winters can add up to convince someone not to even bother applying there. However, if your tuition is paid for, then MSUCOM is a great school with outstanding clinical rotations and excellent residency placements. Also, Michigan is a very friendly state towards osteopathic physicians.