Texas Applicant with only 1 Interview Invite and early app?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PreMed015

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Needless to say, I am in full-blown panic mode at this point. I have only received one (July) interview invite to a Texas school (UTHSCSA), and complete silence from the rest with an application transmitted on 7/1. I understand it takes only one acceptance to become an MD, but at what point should I start considering a re-app? Texas schools generally stop interviewing well before other schools (Match on 2/3) and we are already in mid-late September.

My stats aren't that incredible, which understandably might be a reason why I have not received much correspondence:

3.35 cGPA/3.45 BCPM
32 MCAT (1st attempt)
Decent EC's with a good amount of Research and Shadowing
African American male
Top 15 US News School

I also recently submitted applications to about 5-7 OOS (most complete in mid-late August) due to my lack of Texas interviews.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Needless to say, I am in full-blown panic mode at this point. I have only received one (July) interview invite to a Texas school (UTHSCSA), and complete silence from the rest with an application transmitted on 7/1. I understand it takes only one acceptance to become an MD, but at what point should I start considering a re-app? Texas schools generally stop interviewing well before other schools (Match on 2/3) and we are already in mid-late September.

My stats aren't that incredible, which understandably might be a reason why I have not received much correspondence:

3.35 GPA
32 MCAT (1st attempt)
African American male
Top 15 US News School

I also recently submitted applications to about 5-7 OOS (most complete in mid-late August) due to my lack of Texas interviews.

Remember that the interview season goes until mid-December for some schools and mid-January for the others. I wouldn't worry, but I'd probably take steps to enroll to take classes in the spring to improve that gpa just in case.

3.35 cGPA/3.45 BCPM
32 MCAT (1st attempt)
African American male
Top 15 US News School

I am also a Texas resident and have only received one II after submitting my app on 7/15! I completely understand why you're panicking…but I keep telling myself not to worry, because there is still time!! Even with the Match going on, I know people who have interviewed in December last year and have gotten into medical school. When did you turn in your secondaries for the other schools? PM me if you want, but don't lose hope!!

Members don't see this ad :)
I am also a Texas resident and have only received one II after submitting my app on 7/15! I completely understand why you're panicking…but I keep telling myself not to worry, because there is still time!! Even with the Match going on, I know people who have interviewed in December last year and have gotten into medical school. When did you turn in your secondaries for the other schools? PM me if you want, but don't lose hope!!

I completed my secondaries at the other schools in the last two weeks of August, so I'm not expecting any correspondence from them just yet. I would think that I would have hope for the HBCU's (Morehouse/Meharry) and some of the lower-ranked MD programs...

I should also point out that I never completed the secondary for TCOM, and I recently (within the past week) sent off the secondary to El Paso. I don't know. When I got the San Antonio interview -- my top choice -- I kind of neglected my other apps. Not a smart decision at all.

Should I also submit apps to DO schools?

Last edited:
I completed my secondaries at the other schools in the last two weeks of August, so I'm not expecting any correspondence from them just yet. I would think that I would have hope for the HBCU's (Morehouse/Meharry) and some of the lower-ranked MD programs...

I should also point out that I never completed the secondary for TCOM, and I recently (within the past week) sent off the secondary to El Paso. I don't know. When I got the San Antonio interview -- my top choice -- I kind of neglected my other apps. Not a smart decision at all.

Should I also submit apps to DO schools?

Well, honestly I think you should finish up all your Texas secondaries and send them out within the next week. Being a Texas resident, I feel that your best chance is in state…and your stats are not bad, especially your MCAT score. What schools did you apply to out of state? I don't think you should apply to DO schools OOS just yet..especially if you haven't finished applying to TCOM.

I would finish the TCOM secondary and hold tight. It's still fairly early. I know of some people who received II's in November even after pre-match, so no need to push the panic button! Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
I would finish the TCOM secondary and hold tight. It's still fairly early. I know of some people who received II's in November even after pre-match, so no need to push the panic button! Good luck!

But the majority of these applicants probably submitted in late-August/September. :(

But the majority of these applicants probably submitted in late-August/September. :(

I wouldn't necessarily say that. I know someone who submitted early June and then got an interview for 2 other TMDSAS schools after prematch :)

It's too early. You have to wait.

My friend submitted in June last year and interviewed at UT Southwestern and UT Galveston in December. It sucks but they usually interview top applicants/students who they think are perfect fits for their school first, then other applicants who they are still considering!

Last semester I had a death in the family prior to finals. As a result, my university allowed me to take my exams upon my return in the fall. The transcript I submitted to TMDSAS had 'Incomplete' for all of my Spring 2014 courses. I took the finals a couple of weeks ago, and the grades should post in a few days (hopefully). When I emailed TMDSAS in May, they told me not to worry but to try and submit my transcript as soon as the grades are posted.

Do you think this could have impacted my interview offers?

My friend submitted in June last year and interviewed at UT Southwestern and UT Galveston in December. It sucks but they usually interview top applicants/students who they think are perfect fits for their school first, then other applicants who they are still considering!

Fingers crossed...but hopefully I can just receive a San Antonio pre-match on November 15. I will take that and run. :)

Are you applying OOS?

Last semester I had a death in the family prior to finals. As a result, my university allowed me to take my exams upon my return in the fall. The transcript I submitted to TMDSAS had 'Incomplete' for all of my Spring 2014 courses. I took the finals a couple of weeks ago, and the grades should post in a few days (hopefully). When I emailed TMDSAS, they told me not to worry but to try and submit my transcript as soon as the grades are posted.

Do you think this could have impacted my interview offers?

Did you tell any of the schools about this? Or include it anywhere in your application? It could be the hold-up.

You're lucky to get such an early interview at UTSA. It's a great school, and I'm sure if your interview went well, you have a good chance of pre matching!

I applied to a few OOS schools, but I really want to stay in Texas..My top choice is TCOM!

Did you tell any of the schools about this? Or include it anywhere in your application? It could be the hold-up.

You're lucky to get such an early interview at UTSA. It's a great school, and I'm sure if your interview went well, you have a good chance of pre matching!

I applied to a few OOS schools, but I really want to stay in Texas..My top choice is TCOM!

It's not mentioned anywhere on my application, but the grades show as incomplete on my TMDSAS transcript (which they view). I wonder if any of them are turned off by this and/or waiting for an update?