Texas Applicants! UTMB & TWU

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Nerdd13

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
anyone applying to UTMB (University of Texas Medical Branch--Galveston) or TWU (Texas Woman's University--Houston campus)? anyone accepted into either program? I think both these programs are raising the bar each year as more and more applicants apply into the program. Any thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

I applied to UTMB, missed the deadline for TWU. Haven't heard back yet, their enrollment services are very slow IMHO. I'm sure I"ll know either way by the end of the month.

I applied to UTMB, missed the deadline for TWU. Haven't heard back yet, their enrollment services are very slow IMHO. I'm sure I"ll know either way by the end of the month.

hope things go well for you. have you called the enrollment office? I'm guessing they might have been slow this yr b/c of IKE.

Members don't see this ad :)
hope things go well for you. have you called the enrollment office? I'm guessing they might have been slow this yr b/c of IKE.

I'm not sure if it had to do with IKE or not, I think they're just slow in general. They don't send information through as soon as it's received, they do it in batches. I had an interview last week, they told me I'll know either way in a few weeks. I'm not holding my breath, you never know what they're actually thinking despite what they tell you.

Did you apply for the upcoming fall?

I'm not sure if it had to do with IKE or not, I think they're just slow in general. They don't send information through as soon as it's received, they do it in batches. I had an interview last week, they told me I'll know either way in a few weeks. I'm not holding my breath, you never know what they're actually thinking despite what they tell you.

Did you apply for the upcoming fall?

I have some pre-reqs to finish up. so hopefully next yr. How did your interview go? what did they ask/do? long process? What did you think overall?
I'm looking at San Antonio, Texas Tech also. I think Texas Tech only takes in about 20-something students?

I have some pre-reqs to finish up. so hopefully next yr. How did your interview go? what did they ask/do? long process? What did you think overall?
I'm looking at San Antonio, Texas Tech also. I think Texas Tech only takes in about 20-something students?

I thought I did fairly poorly. However, I did get excepted. I think UTMB takes about 40, tops. I believe this was their largest pool of applicants to date, but I'm sure most programs have seen a spike in applicants. IN any event, I was just basically asked what I know of/think about/perceptions of the field of OT. Then wrote about my understanding of OT and why I chose to pursue it. So, basically they just set you up to write what you initially said.

i am beginning to apply this august and i am very anxious. I will be applying to UTPA, UTMB, and TWU.. I have many questions so any advice would be greatly appreciated!

i am beginning to apply this august and i am very anxious. I will be applying to UTPA, UTMB, and TWU.. I have many questions so any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Get all your stuff in EARLY, even if you haven't completed all the pre-reqs. Have at least anatomy I. If you get it in early, it will show that your are prepared, eager and on top of things. I have a friend that goes to TWU and she told me, the top 60 (it may vary each yr) gets interviewed and they only take in 40. with UTMB, I know they take 40 students but I don't know how their interview process goes. Both schools, from what others have said, you have to write an essay.

And my friend said anatomy is killer! not the same in what you learned in pre-req Anatomy I & II in undergrad. it goes MORE in depth and you have to know your muscles dead on.

Get all your stuff in EARLY, even if you haven't completed all the pre-reqs. Have at least anatomy I. If you get it in early, it will show that your are prepared, eager and on top of things. I have a friend that goes to TWU and she told me, the top 60 (it may vary each yr) gets interviewed and they only take in 40. with UTMB, I know they take 40 students but I don't know how their interview process goes. Both schools, from what others have said, you have to write an essay.

And my friend said anatomy is killer! not the same in what you learned in pre-req Anatomy I & II in undergrad. it goes MORE in depth and you have to know your muscles dead on.

Well after this semester I will have all my pre-requisites done except for biomechanics, I am going to wait and take it in the summer if i do not get into UTPA, since they do not ask for it. I have already completed anatomy I and II and passed, but I am retaking them to get A's. I have already retaking one and this july I am retaking 2. I am planning to apply at UTMB as soon as it opens sept. 1, how does it work, they review it and tell you right away?

OH, and also, I will graduating with my BS in may of 2010, will they look down on this or is that expected for most applicants?

Well after this semester I will have all my pre-requisites done except for biomechanics, I am going to wait and take it in the summer if i do not get into UTPA, since they do not ask for it. I have already completed anatomy I and II and passed, but I am retaking them to get A's. I have already retaking one and this july I am retaking 2. I am planning to apply at UTMB as soon as it opens sept. 1, how does it work, they review it and tell you right away?

UTPA doesn't require biomechanics??? Wow! i'm really surprise, b/c all the other Texas schools require something in that nature and it's important in OT. I'm not sure how it works with UTMB, but that other guy that replied on this board (above) said that they were slow. *shurgs* but either way getting your stuff in early is better than getting it in later. As long as you have your pre-reqs that are decent and they know that your getting your bachelors may 2010, you ought to be consider. (weather or not you get an invite or not)

Since you don't have your bachelors yet, I'd get it in early, b/c those that already have a bachelors probably have a SLIGHTLY more advantage. but that's just my thought.

Did you get a C in A&P? b/c that woud be the only reason to take it over. B's are GREAT too!

Where did you guys see that twu required biomechanics, i just looked at the website and its not on there?

thanks. yea i got c's in both so that is why i am retaking, UTPA averages courses when u retake them, so that sucks, but the others take the most recent taken.

UTMB, tech, and UTSA ask for biomechanics not TWU. but TWU asks for that neuro course, but you can take that once you enroll

I received my acceptance email from UTMB yesterday! :D Soooo thrilled and excited to start! Anyone else hear anything yet? Good Luck!!!! :xf:

I have been reading your thread and threads like it, and have grown increasingly concerned about my chances of acceptance into an OT program where I live.

Unlike many prospective students on the related threads, I graduated with a BS in Psychology over 9 years ago and at the time decided to pursue a career in teaching and start a family instead of furthering my education. About 3 years ago I began expressing an interest in returning to school to become an occupational therapist to my husband. However, he always deemed it as not financially feasable at the time.

Now, in the midst of drastic budget cuts being made in public education, and myself having only 3 years in at my current school, it was made clear to me that there was a definite possibility that my position would be one of the ones eliminated. In light of this new information, I was finally able to get my husband on board and it was then (only about a month ago) that I began aggressively seeking information about returning to school.

After reading these posts, I see that my stats:
overall GPA of 3.36
last 60 GPA of 3.4
current pre req (of the ones I had from undergrad) of 3.8

are not quite as acceptable as I once thought. In fact it is seeming more and more inadequate. I am planning on retaking the one pre req course that I made a B in, and trying to make an A in the rest. I plan on volunteering as much as possible this summer and fall, and getting in as much community service as I can before now and then as well, but even with a pre req GPA of 4.0, do I have a shot at UTMB or TWU with my overall being so low?

Oh, and I have had special needs children included in my classroom for 5 out of the 6 years that I taught. Including those with autism and physical handicaps.

Any advice is GREATLY appreciated!!! I don't think I can bear the guilt of having added so much financial strain on my family and having it be nothing more than a wild goose chase. :(

I don't have the option of relocating, as I have two young children and a husband in the Houston Fire Dept.

I have been reading your thread and threads like it, and have grown increasingly concerned about my chances of acceptance into an OT program where I live.

Unlike many prospective students on the related threads, I graduated with a BS in Psychology over 9 years ago and at the time decided to pursue a career in teaching and start a family instead of furthering my education. About 3 years ago I began expressing an interest in returning to school to become an occupational therapist to my husband. However, he always deemed it as not financially feasable at the time.

Now, in the midst of drastic budget cuts being made in public education, and myself having only 3 years in at my current school, it was made clear to me that there was a definite possibility that my position would be one of the ones eliminated. In light of this new information, I was finally able to get my husband on board and it was then (only about a month ago) that I began aggressively seeking information about returning to school.

After reading these posts, I see that my stats:
overall GPA of 3.36
last 60 GPA of 3.4
current pre req (of the ones I had from undergrad) of 3.8

are not quite as acceptable as I once thought. In fact it is seeming more and more inadequate. I am planning on retaking the one pre req course that I made a B in, and trying to make an A in the rest. I plan on volunteering as much as possible this summer and fall, and getting in as much community service as I can before now and then as well, but even with a pre req GPA of 4.0, do I have a shot at UTMB or TWU with my overall being so low?

Oh, and I have had special needs children included in my classroom for 5 out of the 6 years that I taught. Including those with autism and physical handicaps.

Any advice is GREATLY appreciated!!! I don't think I can bear the guilt of having added so much financial strain on my family and having it be nothing more than a wild goose chase. :(

I don't have the option of relocating, as I have two young children and a husband in the Houston Fire Dept.

You bring a lot of career experience and your stats aren't throw-away by any means. I'd focus more on getting a good amount of volunteer hours in varied settings (I am also a teacher and worked with my district's OT for most of mine, they should be able to help somehow) and creating a strong, solidified reason for moving to OT besides the cutbacks in schools. They'll want to know you aren't just uneasy about your career as a teacher. The earliest you can attend though will be the Fall of 2012, but that will give you time to get your affairs in order without stressing yourself. I wouldn't worry too much about the classes, but if you have the time, take a few of your low ones online at a community college if possible to raise them. I would stress less about that though and focus more on what you do bring to the table.

I wouldn't personally be discouraged at all.

:) Hello Everyone!! Im a senior Kinesiology Exercise Science major. I go to a school in MS....I will be graduating December 2012 and have plans to move to the Dallas area...Im really interested in OT and ran across TWU!!! I have only visited Dallas once and fell in Love!!

I currently have a 3.6 GPA in my prereqs....Just wanted to know if a 3.6gpa is a competitive GPA for TWU MOT program I have overall a 3.7 GPA! Im really just trying to get any information I can get!! Im new to this!! Any advice is Appreciated! Also what will be a competitive GRE score because Im currently studying for it as well....Thanks:)

I currently attend TWU though am not in the OT program. When I called the ot department they said the average GPA of those they called back for interviews was a 3.5. That was the cumulative GPA. They said they do not keep a record of average pre req GPA though I know from talking to an adviser that they like to see a b or higher in those classes.

Thank you mydash.....I needed that! Info anybody know of any reasonable apartment communities close to TWU MOT on walnut hill???