Texas Dental school honest opinion for undergrad

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Longhorn2014

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi y'all,

I was wondering if anyone from Texas could give me their honest opinion regarding my situation. I am a junior and I am thinking of applying in the 2013 cycle. However, I didn't do as well this semester as I would hope to and combine that with a horrible freshmen year and a somewhat decent sophomore year, my overall gpa is projected to be 3.1ish and my science gpa is around a 2.98 or so. I know this is just pitiful. Dentistry is my passion but somethings did not go as planned because I admit, I was a bit arrogant thinking I could do well but I just did not plan well. At this point, I plan on applying AFTER graduation which is spring 2014. This will give me time to get my grades up. I suppose I will take this coming summer to prep for the DAT.

Let's say I get a 22 or the impossible 23 or 24, on the DAT. Will this help my current situation at all? I know I will have to work my butt off for this.

I would greatly appreciate any advice from y'all. I will also be contacting the admissions office at the three dental schools tomorrow.

Members don't see this ad.

Of course a high DAT score will help since your gpa is low. Since u have time after graduation u should work on your ECs and shadowing hours and bringing your gpa up as much as possible. Then you should be good

I go to UT and most of my friends that got all 3 interviews had a combination of a high gpa and 22+ DAT score. Also, baylor doesn't usually send invites unless you're a bio major and have a crap load of science classes. However, I interviewed at san antonio and my DAT was only a 20, but my gpa is pretty high (3.7). I did have a friend that scored a baylor interview with a 3.3/ 21 though. I would say work your tail off the rest of the year this year, and then take an extra year of undergrad with more science classes or do a post bac program. Nearly half of my friends that applied this cycle were 5th years so not to worry about taking an extra year, its very common. Also, to boost your chances you may want to apply out of state. I interviewed at San Antonio but I've only heard back from out of state schools thus far :/. Looks like I'm packing my bags for Arizona hah. But I wish you more luck than I have study really hard for your DAT so you will get to go to your first choice school. If you need any help on applying feel free to PM me... I'm kind of addicted to SDN haha. Anyways happy holidays.

Members don't see this ad :)
I went to Texas A&M and just got accepted to all three Texas dental schools with 3.3 Overall/3.3 Sci GPA and a 23AA/24TS/24PAT on my DAT. My GPA started out at about a 3.0 my freshman year and slowly inreased to a 3.35 by the time i graduated.

It can be done!!!!

You need to increase your gpa. Dental school is very competitive. You can take some elective claases to boost your gpa a little bit. Were you working while going to school?

Good luck. It's not too late to improve your gpa. Work hard and you will see good results in the future!!

Sent from my SGH-T999 using SDN Mobile