Texas Hopefuls

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sweetnothings35

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, y'all, @nobodyisnothere @ecolik-12 @JBtt @DrBunsenHoneydew @silentshadow59 @KKT1992 @scaredapplicant2014 @Z K @thatonesyrian

I didn't match today and after going through the Texas threads, I saw that we're in the same horrible predicament. My head tells me there's still time and hope, but my heart just hurts :arghh:

Anyways, I'm hoping that we could use this thread to share support, experiences, concerns, information, encouragement, and news to come!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
good idea. im in (even tho im OOS)

I'll start off with who I am and what I do:
In-State bio major applicant. First cycle. 3.9/28, normal extra-curriculars, only interviewed at UTMB 11/7.

Possible reasons why I screwed up: 1)Applied in July (due to mcat delays)
2) Did not enter all of planned coursework in my tmdsas
3) Mcat is probably not on par with most students' scores
4) Not enough medically related extra-curricular volunteering

Members don't see this ad :)
Same boat ya'll… I'll second what @thatonesyrian said. #1 would definitely be applying late for me at least. I think timing is one of the most important aspects of the app. Oh well, lets make the best of what is left of this cycle guys!!

Hmm I applied late as well (3.7, 31) with a heavy research background (3 papers), lots of ECs and excellent LORs from big name institutions. I really thought UTH would match me but no dice.

Don't throw in the towel yet, guys! I have a friend that had no prematches or matches. He got off the wait list at UTH in late May! It could still happen, so stay strong

are there any texas schools still doing interviews or giving out interview invites? I'm OOS and still waiting.

are there any texas schools still doing interviews or giving out interview invites? I'm OOS and still waiting.

sorry buddy, Texas wraps up quite early, Interviews are concluded early Jan.
good luck with the rest of your schools

sorry buddy, Texas wraps up quite early, Interviews are concluded early Jan.
good luck with the rest of your schools

oh well, I was hoping for a II from TCOM. I guess not.

I'll start by introducing myself as well. I'm an instate biochem major 3.9/33 and this is also my first cycle. I interviewed everywhere except El Paso and Foster (I didn't apply there). I have good volunteering and fair shadowing. I also have a good deal of research. Feeling pretty defeated.

We just gotta keep our heads up and hope for the best.

You guys, I only interviewed at 3 schools- TCOM, A&M, and lubbock. I just rejected from TCOM prematch..And A&M just sent me the email of death. So looks like Lubbock is my only shot… Praying.

Also are any of guys considering applying for a Masters in Medical Sciences program as a backup? I am!

I'll start by introducing myself as well. I'm an instate biochem major 3.9/33 and this is also my first cycle. I interviewed everywhere except El Paso and Foster (I didn't apply there). I have good volunteering and fair shadowing. I also have a good deal of research. Feeling pretty defeated.

Wow it's crazy that you didn't get in. Rooting for you!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi, y'all, @nobodyisnothere @ecolik-12 @JBtt @DrBunsenHoneydew @silentshadow59 @KKT1992 @scaredapplicant2014 @Z K @thatonesyrian

I didn't match today and after going through the Texas threads, I saw that we're in the same horrible predicament. My head tells me there's still time and hope, but my heart just hurts :arghh:

Anyways, I'm hoping that we could use this thread to share support, experiences, concerns, information, encouragement, and news to come!

There are still plenty of guys sitting on a Texas acceptance and planning to go out of state. So a lot more spots will open up for you guys in the next few months. No guarantees that'll help you personally though.

In-State, 34/3.96s/3.88c.
Applied to UTSW, UTMB, UTH.
Interviewed at UTSW and UTMB.
Decent volunteering, no research, dreadlocks.

I believe my death sentence came from the last one...

What's a dreadlock?

Dang when did you apply? I know several 3.5s/30s who have gotten acceptances at UT schools (Minus UTSW) but they all applied in early June and did well in interviews.

Sorry to hear that. I think I saw you at the UTSW interview. I imagine there weren't too many other applicants with dreads.

Sorry to hear that. I think I saw you at the UTSW interview. I imagine there weren't too many other applicants with dreads.
I've seen 0... though, Baylor did put me overnight w/a black student w/dreads. I've only seen one other male interviewee with long hair.

Also are any of guys considering applying for a Masters in Medical Sciences program as a backup? I am!

Me, too. Does anyone know of other programs like this in Texas, or this is the only one?

I've seen 0... though, Baylor did put me overnight w/a black student w/dreads. I've only seen one other male interviewee with long hair.
Lets end this once and for all, you interviewed at 2/3 of the schools you applied to. Did your TMDSAS picture have you with dreadlocks? if so, then the bias is not there, but if you didnt have dreads on your pic, but showed up with dreads on interview day, then that might have swayed the way they perceived you.

Dang bro, get a haircut! You had great stats.

Last edited:
Lets end this once and for all, you interviewed at 2/3 of the schools you applied to. Did your TMDSAS picture have you with dreadlocks? if so, then the bias is not there, but if you didnt have dreads on your pic, but showed up with dreads on interview day, then that might have swayed the way they perceived you.

Here's the picture I used... =P

Attachments

• Complete Picture.JPG
    Complete Picture.JPG
    151.2 KB · Views: 371

I think you look quite good in that pic, suitable for facebook, but I don't believe it sends a professional vibe. When I went through the advising process, they offered to take pictures for our tmdsas, and we all took professional pictures while wearing a suit or a shirt+ neck tie. Medical schools are super competitive, thus, sending them a "fresher" picture of yourself is not a bad idea. You have to display an effort with your picture as well, dreadlocks or not.

Last edited:

You may not want to hear this, but you need to adopt a far more conservative look if you want to be a doctor. Our profession, like the military and police, is one that depends on the trust of the public. Imagine what a really conservative old lady would think if her doctor walked in with dreadlocks, especially as a white guy. In rural Texas, your patients are going to be like "Uhhhh, I'll take another doctor please."

Get a clean-looking haircut, wear a nice button-down shirt and tie, shave, and take another picture. At my UTHSCSA interview, the dean explicitly said that the first thing he does is look at an applicant's picture. If it's unprofessional, they throw the whole application in the trash.

Reactions: 4 users
Apply in June, your stats look great, it doesn't matter what language the person speaks as long as you understand, you could try shadowing nurses or PA's even, or see if you can volunteer at a local clinic or hospital. In one of those optional essay spaces, just write a few sentences explaining why your GPA looks that way, and you may have to call each school and explain the situation just in case though.

Thanks for the advice :) And I'm graduating in April so I won't have the language/ barriers from the Canadian Health care system. I already got a job working with a clinical researcher/neurosurgeon for post-graduation so hopefully that will help me a bit with the lack-of-shadowing experience problem.

At my UTHSCSA interview, the dean explicitly said that the first thing he does is look at an applicant's picture. If it's unprofessional, they throw the whole application in the trash.
That seems really harsh.

Sorry to say this, but that was the completely wrong photo to use. Texas is a conservative state, and the med schools expect a professional photo. You need to clean it up by wearing a suit with a tie in your next TMDSAS photo if you reapply. And sorry to say, but the dreads need to go. It might make you unique and be your favorite hair style, but the Texas med schools are looking for ultimate professionalism. Once you're in, get the dreads. But not during application season.

I might love to have bright red streaks in my hair, but I've left it natural because it's another hoop for applicants to jump through. Change that anD apply to TMDSAS in early May. Your stats are great :)

Reactions: 3 users
That seems really harsh.

Most of the adcoms I've talked to in Texas expect you to dress for the job you want. They want a professional looking photo, not one you would find in your tagged photos on FB.

You may not want to hear this, but you need to adopt a far more conservative look if you want to be a doctor. Our profession, like the military and police, is one that depends on the trust of the public. Imagine what a really conservative old lady would think if her doctor walked in with dreadlocks, especially as a white guy. In rural Texas, your patients are going to be like "Uhhhh, I'll take another doctor please."

Get a clean-looking haircut, wear a nice button-down shirt and tie, shave, and take another picture. At my UTHSCSA interview, the dean explicitly said that the first thing he does is look at an applicant's picture. If it's unprofessional, they throw the whole application in the trash.

wait so when yall say "professional photo" do yall mean like.... passport photo? studio photo? picture my mom takes?

Feels really great to have other people to relate to being in the same situation right now

Interviewed at 4 out of the 6 Texas schools I applied to. Stats were 3.68 GPA and 31 MCAT, good extracurriculars, medical volunteering experience and shadowing, solid personal statement, and all the interviews went well. No pre-match offers (granted I only had one interview before 11/15 and that was 11/7), and got the "Sorry - you didn't match into a school" on match day. Wait listed at TAMU, waiting on emails from other school about the wait list but trying not to get my hopes on getting in off the wait list.

I don't know about you guys, but the idea of immediately turning around and applying in the next cycle seems daunting. Not necessarily just for the pain of getting new letters of rec all over again, or re-working through the application and PS. But mainly because I don't know how to significantly improve my application in these short few months. Right now I'm working full time as a server since I just graduated in December and thought this would only be temporary period before I matriculated in the summer. I'm torn between turning around and re-applying in the 2016 cycle, or instead waiting until the 2017 cycle to reapply where I could really have some time on my hands to significantly improve my application, maybe trying to get more medical experience as an ER Scribe and possibly also entering a SMP program not necessarily to boost GPA but to demonstrate success handling the rigor of medical school classes (Immunology, Pharm, Anatomy etc.).

Is the 2014 MCAT good for 3 years still? Like if you took the 2014 MCAT will it still be good until 2017 despite the switch over to the new 2015 MCAT?

Feels really great to have other people to relate to being in the same situation right now

Interviewed at 4 out of the 6 Texas schools I applied to. Stats were 3.68 GPA and 31 MCAT, good extracurriculars, medical volunteering experience and shadowing, solid personal statement, and all the interviews went well. No pre-match offers (granted I only had one interview before 11/15 and that was 11/7), and got the "Sorry - you didn't match into a school" on match day. Wait listed at TAMU, waiting on emails from other school about the wait list but trying not to get my hopes on getting in off the wait list.

I don't know about you guys, but the idea of immediately turning around and applying in the next cycle seems daunting. Not necessarily just for the pain of getting new letters of rec all over again, or re-working through the application and PS. But mainly because I don't know how to significantly improve my application in these short few months. Right now I'm working full time as a server since I just graduated in December and thought this would only be temporary period before I matriculated in the summer. I'm torn between turning around and re-applying in the 2016 cycle, or instead waiting until the 2017 cycle to reapply where I could really have some time on my hands to significantly improve my application, maybe trying to get more medical experience as an ER Scribe and possibly also entering a SMP program not necessarily to boost GPA but to demonstrate success handling the rigor of medical school classes (Immunology, Pharm, Anatomy etc.).

Is the 2014 MCAT good for 3 years still? Like if you took the 2014 MCAT will it still be good until 2017 despite the switch over to the new 2015 MCAT?
I'd assume the MCAT would remain good... In addition to the TMDSAS, I'd consider the AMCAS and DO schools for next year.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
wait so when yall say "professional photo" do yall mean like.... passport photo? studio photo? picture my mom takes?

I went to JC Penny and had them take a professional portrait. It felt like I was 6 years old again and it was family photo time, haha. They give you a CD with the picture file on it like it's 2002. Anyway, it was cheap and the photo actually looked good. I told them I wanted it to look like a portrait you'd see it on a physician's website and they delivered.

Reactions: 3 users
I put on a dress shirt and got my mom to take the photo against the wall in my house. Short hair, no tie, framed from probably the third shirt button and up. I guess it was probably quite similar to a passport photo.

I will admit that when I applied last year and didn't match, I didn't really like the people who had matched and were saying "oh, there's plenty of time left! People get in from the wait lists!" (Not bashing anyone specifically, just saying in general). While I was still a little hopeful, the chances of it happening from what I understood were very small. I love the aspect of this support thread, but I feel that unless you were in the same predicament, you would never understand the worry and feeling of rejection of not matching and not knowing if you will need to reapply. Stay hopeful everyone, but also prepare for the worst so you don't destroy yourself mentally.

It doesn't matter who takes it. Just imagine that you're a 40-year-old applying for an executive position. What kind of picture would you send? You're well dressed, well groomed, with something nice in the background (or just a blank wall). Smiling at least somewhat. It's not rocket science. Just think like an adult and not a college student.

It doesn't matter who takes it. Just imagine that you're a 40-year-old applying for an executive position. What kind of picture would you send? You're well dressed, well groomed, with something nice in the background (or just a blank wall). Smiling at least somewhat. It's not rocket science. Just think like an adult and not a college student.

Agreed. Your picture should be one the AdCom can glance at and have that first impression be "This person looks like s/he could be a doctor" and not that you look like fun, look cool, look hot, look buff, look mellow --

In a nutshell:

"I told them I wanted it to look like a portrait you'd see it on a physician's website"

Do you really need to be told what a professional photo is?

We've figured out my problem (dreads). Now let's move on to more fruitful things! If you insist or are interested, there's a thread for this. >>>> http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/the-classic-dreadlocks-question.1097258/

But, to make my last comment on the subject... I gauged myself for the wrong century, geographical region, predominant religion, but most critically, overall culture. Those diversity essays I wrote for EVERY secondary app (21 in total) had me fooled! I took a calculated risk and completely own the price I might pay. BTW, I applied to 22 non-Texas schools to hedge my bets. If not accepted anywhere this year, next time around I won't be taking the diversity talk at face value. SNIP SNIP!

It might sound silly to most, but for me, this wasn't about superficialities of any sort, and that's why I was willing to pay this price. lol... For next year, some of you reapps might see me in ethical subversion mode. =)​

As far as the photo thing goes, simply use good judgement, and you'll do fine for that small part of your application. Those who didn't should know who they are. For the rest of us, I'm sure our problem areas lie elsewhere. A few might simply be victims of bad luck... this process, to a significant degree, is largely a crapshoot, especially for those on the edge.

Attachments

• me1.jpg
    me1.jpg
    264.6 KB · Views: 83
Last edited:

I've been debating the re-application timeline as well. I'm working (what I thought/hoped would be) a very short-term job. It's not glamorous at all. I'm learning toward applying for the 2017 cycle; I want my next app to be the very best it can be, although it pains me that my dream of becoming a doctor is further delayed.

That's exactly how I feel about it honestly @sweetnothings35 . I don't want to "waste" another application cycle, I want to make sure I do actually have adequate time to make a significant difference in my application. Right now I'm focused on working full time and paying bills so I am going to need some transition time to figure things out

if anyone is reapplying this cycle, some schools have reapplicant workshops that you can sign up for. I am going to UTH's which is on April 10th. I was hoping to have more individualized help with improving my application but I'm glad they offer a service to help people who are reapplying

Dang when did you apply? I know several 3.5s/30s who have gotten acceptances at UT schools (Minus UTSW) but they all applied in early June and did well in interviews.
Sorry for the late reply! I ended up submitting in mid June and completed most secondaries by the end of July/early August. Taking some time after match day to calm myself down has really helped. Fortunately, I am accepted at on out of state school but it is super expensive and that amount of debt/being far from my family worries me even more. I'm still not giving up hope in Texas!

Edit: Removed because of double post

Last edited:
Hey guys, just found this wonderful support group!

I'm in the same boat. Four early interviews at Foster, A&M, UTMB, and UTHSCSA with no acceptances, and waitlisted at all four.

A small summary about me:
  • Aggie graduate, Class of 2014
  • Molecular Biology and Psychology double major
  • This is my second time applying
    • 31 MCAT, taken in April 2013 (9 PS, 11 V, 11BS)
    • 3.82 Total GPA, 3.8 sGPA (not counting any psych courses as science, higher if so)
    • Past research experience at jobs, but not major
    • Some shadowing, around 25 hours
    • Tons of quality ECs
      • College orientation mentor for 3 years- likely well over 1000 hours of big time leadership experience and people skills (peer leadership)
      • A&E committee Exec- 200 hours, planned and executed free entertainment for college campus and surrounding community
      • College student council- 4 years of event planning and helping students
Didn't have much research or clinical experience, but I've been working at UTSW for the year and that's a thing of the past. 100s of hours of one on one pt interaction and following doctors. Too bad I couldn't put any of it on my application, as I got the job after I submitted. Kill me now.

So, yeah. This sucks guys! Even when you reapply, you can get bad results. Hoping on the waitlists for all of us!

Oh, and totally feel y'all on those bad photos. I didn't get any interviews my first round for that very reason. N.B. Don't submit a picture of yourself riding a cheetah statue at the Houston zoo. They will not see the humor. This isn't Patch Adams we're appealing to.

Hey guys, just found this wonderful support group!

I'm in the same boat. Four early interviews at Foster, A&M, UTMB, and UTHSCSA with no acceptances, and waitlisted at all four.

A small summary about me:
  • Aggie graduate, Class of 2014
  • Molecular Biology and Psychology double major
  • This is my second time applying
    • 31 MCAT, taken in April 2013 (9 PS, 11 V, 11BS)
    • 3.82 Total GPA, 3.8 sGPA (not counting any psych courses as science, higher if so)
    • Past research experience at jobs, but not major
    • Some shadowing, around 25 hours
    • Tons of quality ECs
      • College orientation mentor for 3 years- likely well over 1000 hours of big time leadership experience and people skills (peer leadership)
      • A&E committee Exec- 200 hours, planned and executed free entertainment for college campus and surrounding community
      • College student council- 4 years of event planning and helping students
Didn't have much research or clinical experience, but I've been working at UTSW for the year and that's a thing of the past. 100s of hours of one on one pt interaction and following doctors. Too bad I couldn't put any of it on my application, as I got the job after I submitted. Kill me now.

So, yeah. This sucks guys! Even when you reapply, you can get bad results. Hoping on the waitlists for all of us!

Oh, and totally feel y'all on those bad photos. I didn't get any interviews my first round for that very reason. N.B. Don't submit a picture of yourself riding a cheetah statue at the Houston zoo. They will not see the humor. This isn't Patch Adams we're appealing to.

Did you email the schools and ask why you got rejected the first time? The picture and lack of clinical experience may have been one thing, but with those stats and after 4 interviews with no match, that leads me to think it might have been your PS/Essays/Interviews that sealed the deal.

I did. They said it was the photo and lack of clinical experience that did it. Fixed both, but only one made it on this application round. I also don't know how good my recommendations were. I felt like the interviews went great, and I have a great deal of experience interviewing.

Edit: Well, from the first round I also added on an additional essay I had chosen not to do, as well as improved my GPA very slightly. But other than that and the photo, I changed little. I plan on calling and asking again, but I don't want to pester the schools I'm waitlisted at.

Last edited: