Texas Hopefuls

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I did. They said it was the photo and lack of clinical experience that did it. Fixed both, but only one made it on this application round. I also don't know how good my recommendations were. I felt like the interviews went great, and I have a great deal of experience interviewing.

Edit: Well, from the first round I also added on an additional essay I had chosen not to do, as well as improved my GPA very slightly. But other than that and the photo, I changed little. I plan on calling and asking again, but I don't want to pester the schools I'm waitlisted at.

During my interview day at A&M, Leila Diaz said that she is willing to help any students who are currently on the waitlist do a file review and go over what to do to improve their application while they wait, in case reapplication is necessary. You should contact her and see if she can help you. TCOM also does this if you applied to their school.

Keep your chin up! Not having an acceptance also means that you'll stay on the waitlist past June 1st and into the summer, so if any other students drop out between then and the start of the program, you'll still be in the running!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
How's it going everyone!? Not so good here!

No news here either. Still on all the waitlists. Haven't seen much evidence of movement though either, so I'm not really anxious at this point. Just working on gathering letters and rewriting essays. Spoke with the dean at A&M (who had interviewed me) and he said my interviews were phenomenal and that I'm likely high in the running there. Here's hoping!

Members don't see this ad :)
No news here either. Still on all the waitlists. Haven't seen much evidence of movement though either, so I'm not really anxious at this point. Just working on gathering letters and rewriting essays. Spoke with the dean at A&M (who had interviewed me) and he said my interviews were phenomenal and that I'm likely high in the running there. Here's hoping!
Wish you the best man. I know how hard it is waiting for an answer.

No news here either. Contacted UTHSCSA and they said they have not made any offers yet. I know UTH has seen some movement... alteast 1 person has gotten off the waitlist this past week.

I'm waiting on utmb. Would it be advisable to contact their dean/staff and ask about specifics regarding my application?
I don't know what is/isn't proper etiquette when it comes to asking schools. When people say :"I called them once a week for my application", what are they implying?

I'm waiting on utmb. Would it be advisable to contact their dean/staff and ask about specifics regarding my application?
I don't know what is/isn't proper etiquette when it comes to asking schools. When people say :"I called them once a week for my application", what are they implying?
I've tried twice to get word on my application. The first time I called asking for a file review, and was told I could not have one as that is a conflict of interest with me being on the waitlist. My advisor told me to email Dr. Rabek directly and ask for input, but he has yet to respond. My opinion: it can't hurt to ask, and I highly doubt being curious can count against you, as long as you're not pushy. Get your name out there, but avoid infamy.

Reactions: 1 user
ugh I don't know if anyone else is feeling this but ever since a lot of Baylor acceptances just went out, and that like one person who got off the UTH waitlist who wrote about it on the SDN thread I've been more preoccupied with the "waitlist" situation even though I know I should just be patient and wait it out haha. Already have a great job for next year so it's not like I'm planless but yeah. I don't like the waiting game I feel like at this point I would've definitely preferred a straight rejection so I could move on :/

ugh I don't know if anyone else is feeling this but ever since a lot of Baylor acceptances just went out, and that like one person who got off the UTH waitlist who wrote about it on the SDN thread I've been more preoccupied with the "waitlist" situation even though I know I should just be patient and wait it out haha. Already have a great job for next year so it's not like I'm planless but yeah. I don't like the waiting game I feel like at this point I would've definitely preferred a straight rejection so I could move on :/
I know what you mean. I dont understand the point of having 100 people on the waitlist (UTHSCSA) when only 10-30 people end up getting off.

I know what you mean. I dont understand the point of having 100 people on the waitlist (UTHSCSA) when only 10-30 people end up getting off.
I honestly never understood that either. I would assume that it is more of a safety net for the schools since it is in the schools interest to have more people than necessary on the wait list than not enough.

I just don't want to hear if people are getting off...the wait is already terrible. Already done this twice, and I don't want a third time, no matter how prepared I am.

Based on the TMDSAS report released for 2015.
UTH interviewed 20.3% of the people that applied, and accepted 37.29% of the people they interviewed this year. For last year, they interviewed 18.87% that applied and offered 41.7% people offers - a decrease of 4.5%
UTHSCSA - interviews 23% of applicants both last and this year. This year 34.2% got accepted post interview and last year 40.7% of people got offers (decrease of 6.5%).

Venture guesses as to why the decrease?

Based on the TMDSAS report released for 2015.
UTH interviewed 20.3% of the people that applied, and accepted 37.29% of the people they interviewed this year. For last year, they interviewed 18.87% that applied and offered 41.7% people offers - a decrease of 4.5%
UTHSCSA - interviews 23% of applicants both last and this year. This year 34.2% got accepted post interview and last year 40.7% of people got offers (decrease of 6.5%).

Venture guesses as to why the decrease?
For the UTH, last year they interviewed less so they had to accept more from the pool. This year, they interviewed more so less acceptances.
UTHSCA seems a bit weird though.

Members don't see this ad :)
For the UTH, last year they interviewed less so they had to accept more from the pool. This year, they interviewed more so less acceptances.
UTHSCA seems a bit weird though.
Hmm possibly:
just crunching the numbers further:
A&M:
EY 2014 - 17% interviewed, 51% accepted of the interviewed
EY 2015 - 19% interviewed, 45% accepted of the interviewed

Foster:
EY 2014 - 16% interviewed, 39% accepted of the interviewed
EY 2015 - 14% interviwed, 42% accepted of the interviewed

Tech
EY 2014 - 20% interviewed, 53% accepted of the interviewed
EY 2015 - 17% interviwed, 49.7% accepted of the interviewed

Maybe we will see a bigger wait list movement this year?

@ecolik-12 Where did you find the TMDSAS stats for entering year 2015? I only see up until 2014

Last edited:
Ugh, these numbers are serving to make me feel woefully inadequate.

So waitlist movement usually picks up in early May. Do y'all think it will be mid-April this year due to the deadline shift?

That would kind of make sense but I still see people quoting May as the "golden time".

So waitlist movement usually picks up in early May. Do y'all think it will be mid-April this year due to the deadline shift?

That would kind of make sense but I still see people quoting May as the "golden time".

eh i feel like mid-april there might be some because of financial aid stuff coming out, and then mostly mid/late may. because even after people drop their multiple acceptances a lot of them have admissions boards that meet to determine who gets off the waitlist and that process could take a bit. honestly im not too sure though

What deadline shift? - it seems as if the april 15th deadline is just for the people holding multiple DUAL degree offers according to TMDSAS such as MD/MPH or MD/MBA

What deadline shift? - it seems as if the april 15th deadline is just for the people holding multiple DUAL degree offers according to TMDSAS such as MD/MPH or MD/MBA

...The May 15th decision deadline for those with multiple acceptances is now April 30th.

I thought it was May 1st?
ImageUploadedBySDN Mobile1427904108.440151.jpg

True. 2 days difference.

Well I'm betting on mid-late april. Since prior years have been mid-may and I'm assuming it'll be bumped up a bit.

We shall see. Regardless, the wait is horrid. :(

So what you're saying is we'll already have spent close to 1k on application fees and already wracked our brains initiating the whole process by the time we could possibly find out? That's fun.

...The May 15th decision deadline for those with multiple acceptances is now April 30th.
So what you're saying is we'll already have spent close to 1k on application fees and already wracked our brains initiating the whole process by the time we could possibly find out? That's fun.
1K on app fees? If you didnt apply out of state, could it really have been that much? Im assuming you are adding on transportation/hotel etc.

also - is anyone going to the UTH reapplicant workshop :)

Hmm possibly:
just crunching the numbers further:
A&M:
EY 2014 - 17% interviewed, 51% accepted of the interviewed
EY 2015 - 19% interviewed, 45% accepted of the interviewed

Foster:
EY 2014 - 16% interviewed, 39% accepted of the interviewed
EY 2015 - 14% interviwed, 42% accepted of the interviewed

Tech
EY 2014 - 20% interviewed, 53% accepted of the interviewed
EY 2015 - 17% interviwed, 49.7% accepted of the interviewed

Maybe we will see a bigger wait list movement this year?

I'm also curious where you found EY 2015 data?

Sauce for the 2015 data:

Attachments

• TAAHP 2015 Report.pdf
    728 KB · Views: 180
yes! I will be there. Flying in for this -_-

Flying from Canada haha. I also have a meeting with UTMB on the 9th, an interview with a clinical researching neurosurgeon in Houston on the 11th, and touring the lab of the other clinical researching neurosurgeon who's already agreed to work with me that same day haha. Decided since I'm coming flying down for a bit I better make it count lol

Passing on it. This isn't my second rodeo.

Sauce for the 2015 data:
Thank you for posting this. Wow over 5.2k applicants and average MCAT of 31-32 for most schools. Texas is becoming very competitive.

Reactions: 2 users
Don't worry guys, I know plenty of fellow students who got in off the waitlist. Worst case scenario you are going to spend another year making your application stronger, which let's be honest isn't much in the grand scheme of things!

Thank you for posting this. Wow over 5.2k applicants and average MCAT of 31-32 for most schools. Texas is becoming very competitive.

I think those numbers are for total offers though right? So most MCAT averages will go down slightly for actual matriculants to each school. Also doesn't it show that UTSW gave out fewer total offers than they have total seats? What.

I think those numbers are for total offers though right? So most MCAT averages will go down slightly for actual matriculants to each school. Also doesn't it show that UTSW gave out fewer total offers than they have total seats? What.
That's one of the interesting facts revealed by the report.

Texas has been equally competitive with the other schools in the U.S. Idk why people think lowly of the med schools here

It would make sense to see a slight fluctuation with MCAT scores based on those who actually matriculate to the school. But that is very unusual with regards to UTSW. Maybe they are going to reduce their class size this year?

Texas has been equally competitive with the other schools in the U.S. Idk why people think lowly of the med schools here

Exactly. Texas's overall statistics have been pretty darned close to national averages for a while now, with average MCAT and GPA numbers and the proportion of applicants being offered seats about the same.

But where Texas does make pre-med life much better is by offering a wide range of schools and a very strong in-state preference, so an applicant with good or average (or even slightly below average) stats can apply to nine schools instead of 40, and know their chances are decent.

There is still hope guys! I only interviewed at TCOM this cycle, didn't pre-match, and didn't match there. A few weeks ago in the middle of March I got pulled off of TCOM's wait list!

Reactions: 6 users
There is still hope guys! I only interviewed at TCOM this cycle, didn't pre-match, and didn't match there. A few weeks ago in the middle of March I got pulled off of TCOM's wait list!

congrats!!

Sauce for the 2015 data:

Danggg TCOM with a 3.7/30. As someone with a 3.7/31 applying this summer, I can't help but feel worried looking at this

Danggg TCOM with a 3.7/30. As someone with a 3.7/31 applying this summer, I can't help but feel worried looking at this
I would imagine that number will drop to 28 or 29 or so for TCOM after waitlist movement etc.

Plus, having a 31 is nothing to scoff at. Especially when roughly half of the students applying this year will be on a new scoring system and won't be having their scores in till June. Those of us with competitive old MCAT scores are in a sweet spot should we get our secondaries done in May.

Being hopeful is great and all, but let's be real here, a majority of us here will be reapplying in May. Any other advice for first time re-applicants besides applying early, revamping essays, show progress, etc...? Oh, also, if you apply while being waitlisted, how does that work? You can't even ask that school that waitlisted you on why you didn't pre-match/ match....

I wish only 20 people got onto waitlists as opposed to the hundreds of people being thrown into the abyss list of uncertainty....

You can't even ask that school that waitlisted you on why you didn't pre-match/ match....

You can, and you should. I have. Knowledge is power in this game, and you need to get as much insight as possible. And believe me, the information you get may suck. I've been told by 3 of 4 schools that waitlisted me that it was likely my experience--something that was fixed before I even got to their interviews and well before match time. They received updates on the subject, even, and it seems like it was largely ignored.

I am a reapplicant, and may be a 2nd time reapplicant. Here's some advice: be confident. Don't show weakness in the face of adversity. If there's one thing I know can be sniffed out in an application/ interview it's the nervousness inherent in being rejected before. Come from a position of embracing that failure, coming to terms with why you haven't gotten in, and returning with the confidence that you are better suited to care for others' health than you were before. You want to show schools that you are even more driven than you were before, and that the set back has only made you stronger.

Reactions: 3 users
You can, and you should. I have. Knowledge is power in this game, and you need to get as much insight as possible. And believe me, the information you get may suck. I've been told by 3 of 4 schools that waitlisted me that it was likely my experience--something that was fixed before I even got to their interviews and well before match time. They received updates on the subject, even, and it seems like it was largely ignored.

I am a reapplicant, and may be a 2nd time reapplicant. Here's some advice: be confident. Don't show weakness in the face of adversity. If there's one thing I know can be sniffed out in an application/ interview it's the nervousness inherent in being rejected before. Come from a position of embracing that failure, coming to terms with why you haven't gotten in, and returning with the confidence that you are better suited to care for others' health than you were before. You want to show schools that you are even more driven than you were before, and that the set back has only made you stronger.
Well written post. Was UTHSCSA receptive to your call about why you didnt match?

San Antonio has not, no. Neither has Galveston. A&M and El Paso were very receptive.