Texas Medical School EDP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NNPham

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone did the EDP for TTUHSCSOM or UNTHSCTCOM? If y'all got in via EDP, what was your application and stats like?

Members don't see this ad.

I would think people with low GPA's would do an EDP.

Members don't see this ad :)
I interviewed with a couple EDP applicants. What I got from it was that it's mainly for students who have a major reason for wanting to go to that school/stay in the area. Both students I met were non-trads who were married and had spouses with jobs in the area but I'm sure some people just have strong preference for the school for other reasons. I would suspect most also have above avg. stats and would have a good chance being admitted to multiple schools through the traditional route. If they are accepted, they HAVE to go there. The ones that interviewed in August found out in September.

http://web.unthsc.edu/info/200679/admissions_and_outreach/1548/early_decision_program

Last edited:
The only reason you should apply to ED programs is if you have a real, substantive reason for attending ONLY that school. This might include things like a spouse with an established job in the area, a relationship with certain researchers or physicians that you would like to continue working with, or a very specific and/or unique training opportunity available only that institution to name a few. In the absence of something of that quality, applying to ED just isn't all that smart of a decision. You put all of your eggs in one basket with no real clear benefit.

Typically it has been recommended that only strong applicants apply to EDPs given the risk of failure, but I'm sure you can find exceptions to that. I think the more critical point is articulating a reason for committing to a school's EDP that makes sense and is well thought out. It's not the kind of thing you do because willy nilly. You most likely won't be successful if that's the case.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Has anyone did the EDP for TTUHSCSOM or UNTHSCTCOM? If y'all got in via EDP, what was your application and stats like?
These DO-COM acronyms are getting out of hand

Because texas apps and interviews tend to be a little earlier than usual, you are putting yourself at a huge disadvantage if you don't get in the EDP program I believe. So it's a pretty big gamble. Things may have changed since I looked at it, but can't you only apply to the one program until you hear a yes/no from them? That would delay any additonal apps until September, which would be a serious problem especially in texas.