About the ads

1. Check out PREMED.me!
    Offers FREE service to help premeds manage their applications and MCAT study calendars and identify schools to target.
  2. Free Financial Webinar with White Coat Investor! Monday evening at 7:00 PM EDT, hear about the Top 5 Financial Considerations for Starting Residents from White Coat Investor's Dr. James Dahle. Register here. Hope to see you there!

Texas Medical Schools and low MCAT scores

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical Allopathic [ MD ]' started by DrLiver, Apr 6, 2004.

1. SDN is a nonprofit organization. Services are made possible through the generous support of SDN members and sponsors. Thank you.
  1. DrLiver

DrLiver Member

SDN 10+ Year Member

SDN Members don't see this ad. (About Ads)
    I have read that the average MCAT for Texas medical schools is a 27. Do you know if Has anyone ever gotten in with low 20's?
  2. sfgboy

sfgboy Village fool

SDN 10+ Year Member
    It's tough but not necessarily impossible. The TMDSAS schools definitely place an emphasis on grades over MCAT. So if you have really stellar grades, that may somewhat mitigate below-average MCAT scores. Additional things that may work in your favor: are you a historically under-represented minority?; are you from a rural (medically underserved) part of Texas?; are you the first person in your family to go to college?; etc.
  3. Disenchanted 1

Disenchanted 1 Senior Member

SDN 7+ Year Member
    Of course you can !! I have gotten in with a below "average" MCAT score (of course by below it depends on how much below that avg 27 you mean...if you mean a 21 or a 20 well I doubt that I have heard of anyone getting in with that score) . In my case, I guess the comprimise was a high GPA. I also kinda had a unique circumstance in that I have lived in various countries and my educational background involves several countries and languages (I am personally of mixed background and I moved during high school from Switzerland (which was just one of the many countries we lived in) to US so I had the language barrier sort of as an "excuse" for my not so stellar MCAT). I also was strong on the EC area. I basically did a lot of healthcare related work in addition to a lot of things that didn't fit that "premed mold".....for example i love working with animals so I helped along with another volunteer to establish an animal shelter....if I had a passion for something I pursued it and I guess it paid off in the end!

Texas in general is known to be more lax on the MCAT side and they truly do focus on the whole individual rather than just the combination of your MCAT score and GPA. I had another friend also get in with a low MCAT, however, again she also had extensive international experience and knowledge of several languages.

Basically, I applied with a lower than avg MCAT because I had confidence of other areas that would possibly make up for the MCAT. At the time that I applied, almost everyone encouraged me to retake the MCAT and honestly most everyone said my chances were next to none. When I applied (even though I have to admit that I was pretty in doubt of an acceptance especially after hearing everyone's not so wonderful comments...except for my so wonderful parents who have always been supportive), I was sure that my GPA, ECs, LOR's, and essay were pretty good and could distinguish me as an applicant. But most of all I had confidence and faith in myself no matter how discouraging things got or I shall say how unfortunately people would discourage you just because of the low MCAT. I basically just hoped to get an interview because I had faith in myself that I would be able to "shine" through the interview. And guess what!! I got into my #1 choice and end up getting 3 interviews out of only 5 schools that I applied to!! So what I am trying to say is that give it a shot and have confidence in yourself. Of course, my advice is also somewhat dependent on what you mean by "lower 20's"....obviously there is a world of difference btwn a 20 and a 25 lets say. In TX you might have a chance with a 25 but I couldnt say the same for 20 no matter how high your GPA was.

I wish you the best of luck and if you had any questions or if I could help you with anything feel free to send me a PM in case I forget to check back with this thread. Best of luck and remember to have faith most of all in yourself.
  4. meanderson

meanderson Senior Member

SDN 7+ Year Member
    I don't think the lower end texas schools are more forgiving of low mcat scores than other state schools based on ideology or wanting to favor gpa over mcat. They simply have no choice but to admit a larger % of students scoring 21-26 than other state schools. UT-southwestern is a TMDSAS school that doesn't do the same thing, and that's only because they don't have to.

Texas is THE BEST state to be from. I'm not even sure it's close. Other states may have schools where it is just as easy to get in(Louisiana), but no other states have high end schools(Baylor and UTSouthwestern) that give heavy preferance along with other state schools that accept students with lower numbers. Texas offers a great deal for the 3.9/35 applicant as well as the 3.4/25 applicant.

Plus, there is the ridiculously low tuition. Other state schools are jacking up tuition like crazy....isn't texas still at like 6500 dollars a year?
  5. sunkists

sunkists im a fatty

SDN 7+ Year Member
    ut-southwestern's average MCAT score is around a 32. i remember reading on their website that the range of scores that the incoming class of 2003 had was like... 21 to 40.

crazy numbers.
  6. nosaj

nosaj Junior Member

Dr. David J. Jones (the Associate dean for Admissions at UT-San Antonio) told us during my interview that the individual who was top of the class for the 1st or 2nd year class (I forgot which one) made a 19!!! The point he was trying to make was that at UT-San Antonio they consider ALL aspects of an applicant, not just MCAT and GPA.
  7. Disenchanted 1

SDN 7+ Year Member
    No my tuition right now is going to be about 9500....something like that!

As for the whole debate about texas schools, in fact texas does look at the whole student rather than just your GPA/MCAT....and yes TX has wonderful med schools whether you look at baylor/SW or any other....they are all excellent but also fair in that they like to choose students who have strengths in various areas such as GPA, MCAT, EC's......Having plenty of friends and myself go through this, at least that is the impression that I have.
  8. Megalofyia

Megalofyia 425 lbs and growing

Resident [Any Field]
    SDN 10+ Year Member

This is definitly what I have learned from my experience with the Texas schools, even at UTHSCSA.
  9. meanderson

meanderson Senior Member

SDN 7+ Year Member
    well 9500 still is pretty fair :) State school tuitions seem to be skyrocketing across the country. Here in georgia we've seen increases of ~20% for the last couple of years. Unfortunately so many states are going through budget problems right now.

But as to the issue....I think every school looks at the whole student. In many states a 3.8/25 with great EC's won't get in. It takes a 3.8/28-29 with *great* Ec's. In texas the 3.8/25 will get in. That's all I was saying...that texas is just a great state to be a premed in.
  10. Disenchanted 1

SDN 7+ Year Member
    I agree with you about Texas being an overall good state to be a premed in, however, you have to also consider that a 3.8 and a 25 will not get you in if it wasn't for a significant factor other than academics/MCAT that *makes up* if you will for the low MCAT. Unfortunately I had a friend with the same above stats.......her MCAT was 25 and her GPA was actually close to 3.9 and didn't even get one interview in TX b/c not has she not held a single job in her lifetime but her EC's are very limited and nothing beyond the typical volunteering. Her lifehistory and other experiences were also insignifact.....basically what I am trying to say is that TX is a great state to be in if you are one of those students that focuses on expanding every aspect of you .....academic/hands -on experience/social/international experience, etc...

Regardless I think wherever you are at it must be acknowledge that it is hard to get in with a low MCAT....basically you gotta prove yourself that extra bit. However, for the OP rest assured that you wont have the problem that many students at Cal/NY or other competetive areas face simply b/c Texas is not as competetive and they also give strong preference to state residents (almost 95%) and third, as you noticed from the posts to this thread that they focus on the whole person more than some other schools or states.
  11. DrLiver

DrLiver Member

SDN 10+ Year Member
    Thank you all for your input.