Texas MOT Applicants 2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I was offered a position at TWU Houston!!! I wish it was Dallas, since I'll have to find someone to sublease my apartment to (I still have 6 months) but oh man! I'm so excited. Good luck to everyone! There's still a chance! Keep your head up guys!

Congrats! :)

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I will be attending UTHSCSA. So excited to stay in San Antonio!!! As people continue to finalize their acceptances and ultimately turn down others, more people will be pulled off the waitlists. These next few weeks will hopefully bring good news for everyone!

Reactions: 1 user
Hi All!
I was just wondering if anyone is interviewing with UTEP on Friday...or if anyone had any insight into what their interview entails. Thanks!

Just wanted to give everyone hope, I am going to the open house at TWU Dallas this Friday, and I am pretty set on going there! If I love it, I will be opening up a spot at TWU Houston, UTMB, and TTUHSC so don't lose hope yet!!

Anybody else wait-listed that heard back from TWU? Any out-of-state applicants?

Anyone chosen as an Alternate for Tech heard anything back??

I was wondering the same thing about UTMB's waitlist....last I heard they had only chosen 11 out of 75. Anyone heard anything different recently?

Did anyone apply to University of St. Augustine- Austin?! Looking to meet people going down for the interview on March 22nd.

I have not heard back from any schools and I am on 3 wait-lists (UTMB, TWU, and Texas Tech). For those of you on the wait-list at any school, have you sent it in your most recent transcript (Fall 2013), or are you just waiting until you here from the school?

I was wondering the same thing about UTMB's waitlist....last I heard they had only chosen 11 out of 75. Anyone heard anything different recently?

I was on the wait list for UTMB and just got an email today that I was accepted. I am going to Tech instead though so there will be another opening!

Members don't see this ad :)
Congratulations on the acceptance!

Btw, they have now taken 17 from the 75 person waitlist at UTMB. I sure wish they could tell us where we ranked.

Hey I was wondering if any of you took the "Neurological Basis" prerequisite class at a community college for UTMB?

@nikkimald
At the time I took it, it wasn't offered at a community college. I took it at UNT in Denton (only offered during the day, so I had to quit working full time to take neuro and biomechanics).

Hey everyone! I just wanted to let you all know that I withdrew my acceptance to TWU-Houston, so that should open up a waitlist spot :)

I was accepted into TWU Houston a couple months ago, and have started looking for places to live...but I have no idea how to start! For those of you going to Houston, where are you planning to live? The inner loop is so expensive, but I'm also wary of living in dangerous areas. I'm trying to find an all bills paid apartment, but those seem pretty rare in the relatively safer streets.

Information I can give you is a little outdated, so take it with a grain of salt.

You might try looking at some of the gated apartment complexes, or get a roommate. Rice University is right across the street from the medical center (and slightly north), so you might see if they have any resources on affordable apartments available. They make their freshmen live on campus, so they might not have anything available on the web. I wouldn't recommend places directly south/southeast/east of the medical center. When I was in town a few years ago, people told me to stay in my car on the freeway and not get out if I was going to Hobby Airport. I don't remember if I was going down 288 (South Freeway) or I-45 (Gulf Freeway). The place I used to live just got torn down.

If you like quirky hipster areas, you might try up on Westheimer. Those used to be more affordable than say the Galleria area. Braeswood Blvd is just south of the medical center and heads west and has a fair number of apartments. But whenever it rains heavily, Braeswood floods. Don't drive through it.

In my experience living all over the country, places that pay all/most of the bills tend to be older places that use building-wide heat and A/C. Nicer areas might tear the older buildings down.

If you are trying to find an apartment before you get to town, you might try using google maps walking feature (zoom in to the area you want and drag the little person onto the map) which will at least let you know a little more about the exterior of places. Or you could drive local streets and look for high density of pawn shops and cash advance places.

I know parking at the medical center is ridiculously expensive for employees (and that information is current and up to date), but I'm not sure if it is expensive for students. You might look further south at places where you could drive to a light rail station and commute from there.

And while I'm posting to this thread, has anyone heard about interviews from UT-Pan American?

I know parking at the medical center is ridiculously expensive for employees (and that information is current and up to date), but I'm not sure if it is expensive for students. You might look further south at places where you could drive to a light rail station and commute from there.

Thank you so much! I appreciate you narrowing down my search! And I believe - I might be wrong - that parking there would be $80/month...pretty pricey!

Try paying $300 a month for parking - that's what I paid for parking at my last job. It was downtown, but in a city more expensive than Houston. And I had to commute 30-60 minutes in order to live someplace affordable, but then I didn't have anything interesting really close to me.

West of main street and w loop 610 is/was also relatively safe and nice.

Just received the surprise of my lifetime a few days ago...TWU Houston accepted me off their waitlist!

Hey everyone! I just wanted to let you all know that I withdrew my acceptance to TWU-Houston, so that should open up a waitlist spot :)

I think I was offered your spot :)

I just got a phone call from TTUHSC. I got accepted off of their waitlist!! I couldn't be happier to attend there in May!

I too was accepted to UTHSCSA and I was considering living at The Abbey also. Is that rate for a 1 bed 1 bath?
Yeah its 677/mo for a 1br...heard its a good place to live. Join the FB group.

Hey guys! Spots should be opening at UTMB and TTU if they haven't already! ;)

I also just dropped my spot at Texas Tech! :)

Hi! I was an alternate for the incoming 2014 MOT program at UTHSCSA. I got a call yesterday that I got accepted! Whew. Nothing like skating in at the last minute.

Hi! I was an alternate for the incoming 2014 MOT program at UTHSCSA. I got a call yesterday that I got accepted! Whew. Nothing like skating in at the last minute.
Nice Congrats. If u dont mind, what is your gpa?

Accepted into TWU Houston. So excited! :)

Hello, I am the Rehabilitation Coordinator (PT/OT/AT/Chiropractic) for my pre-health organization at the University of Houston. I have a few questions for those that have been accepted into OT school in Texas recently. I'm hoping that some of y'all will be able to help me out! Please and thank you :)

Hello, I am the Rehabilitation Coordinator (PT/OT/AT/Chiropractic) for my pre-health organization at the University of Houston. I have a few questions for those that have been accepted into OT school in Texas recently. I'm hoping that some of y'all will be able to help me out! Please and thank you :)

What are your questions? You can send a PM if you'd rather.

Hello was just wondering if anyone that got accepted into UTMB is still finishing up their pre req classes this summer

"TWU doesn't care."
I just read your post to my husband and this was his response.
He's been so supportive over the last 3 years as I've worked full-time while taking pre-req's and $10k worth of grad school to get into TWU Dallas.
That said, I received my acceptance e-mail last night. It was oddly anti-climactic. As I've learned, the selection process is essentially gpa driven. Don't mean to be a kill-joy, it's just been a long 3 years. I've taken vacation days to complete over 70 observation hours in three different settings, only to find out they "expire" after two years and TWU doesn't really care if you do more than the requisite amount. I hope TWU will refine their process in the future to consider things like work experience and a proven ability to juggle school/work/life responsibilities.

Here are my stats:

Undergrad GPA (circa 1997): 3.27
Last 60 GPA(circa 1997): 3.27
Pre-req GPA: 4.0
12 hours of grad school GPA(which takes the place of last 60hrs): 4.0

Good luck and congrats to all!

*please excuse any spelling/grammar issues as I'm writing from my iPad while on vacation...about to enjoy a much needed mimosa!
hey there! I'm a 2015 TWU applicant (in a similar situation and reading last year's thread) I too-non-traditional MOT applicant but have graduate work-a completed MA and one year of PhD. Did they let you know which GPA was chosen in place of the last 60hrs? Did you have a choice? I emailed earlier this week to get some clarification-but nothing back. Also, how are you enjoying the program? I've applied with Houston being my first choice Dallas second-will see how it goes..

Can somebody explain TTU's admission process. I've interviewed and I just found out I got an alternate spot via mail.

Is my application no longer in the pool until spring time when people that have been accepted decide not to attend? Or can I still get accepted while the rest of the interviews are being completed this semester?

Hey @andrew12th idk about this year but the same thing happened to me last year.. they conducted another batch of interviews (don't think it was the last one) and after ended up contacting me (think for early admission they only choose a very few to see who else is out there) so i got accepted idk if that how it always works but thats how it worked out for me.

Can somebody explain TTU's admission process. I've interviewed and I just found out I got an alternate spot via mail.

Is my application no longer in the pool until spring time when people that have been accepted decide not to attend? Or can I still get accepted while the rest of the interviews are being completed this semester?

Hey Andrew, do you mind stating what your stats were? I have an interview there next month, and I'm extremely nervous.

Hey guys, for those of you starting at Tech in May go to Facebook and search TTUHSC MOT Class of 2016. There's a group now.
Hey Red Raider, do you have any advice for the interview process. I have one for this Saturday for the program starting in May 15. Thanks

Anyone know if there is a thread started for the 2014 Texas MOT applicants that will be starting in 2015? I have been searching for one, but no luck. I've applied to UTMB, Tech, TWU, and USA. Thanks!

Hello all!

I will be applying to the MOT program at TWU (Dallas and Houston). I have completed most of my pre-requisites; so far with a 3.5 gpa (I still have 1 more class in progress). I graduated with a degree in Health Studies and have a 3.8 on my last 60 hours. For the past couple years I have been working as a case manager (children/adults with Intellectual Developmental Disabilities). I am fluent in Spanish and will have completed over 100 hours of observation at a Pediatric OT clinic by the time I apply.

When I read these forums and see an average gpa of 4.0 and 100+ hours of observation, I can't help but stress and think my gpa may not be as competitive. TWU no longer interviews, so I plan to submit a strong personal statement with my application.

I am curious to ask… how many of you are working parents? What kind of experience do you have aside from volunteer work?

I look forward to your feedback and good luck everyone!
When you say personal statement, are you referring to the essay? Just wondering because I will most likely be applying again next year and didn't realize they would read anything else you send in besides the essay. Thanks!

Just got an acceptance letter from UTHSCSA! So for anyone who interviewed you should be getting something today, if not tomorrow.
Hi! I know you got into the program last year but I was wondering if you happen to know if there was a waitlist last year?mi am anxiously waiting to hear back from UTSAHSC and someone said they were told 40 will be accepted and there will be no wait list? Any info help! Thank you!

I also received my acceptance letter from UTHSCSA (January 10th interview group)! Though I wonder if they will have another round of interviews, as I know of several people who never heard back from UTHSCSA after submitting their applications. If they were interviewing 5 people each Friday starting in January, that would be 20-25 people at most (I think)…

Hi! I know you got into the program last year but I was wondering if you happen to know if there was a waitlist last year?mi am anxiously waiting to hear back from UTSAHSC and someone said they were told 40 will be accepted and there will be no wait list? Any info help! Thank you!

Hi! I interviewed at UTHSCSA on January 31st and found out Friday I was accepted! I will be attending and wanted to see if anyone else on here was going! I want to start getting to know some people! :)

Hi! I know you got into the program last year but I was wondering if you happen to know if there was a waitlist last year? I am anxiously waiting to hear back from UTSAHSC and someone said they were told 40 will be accepted and there will be no wait list? Any info help! Thank you!

Start a FB page and post the link on here. Did anyone find some decent apartments yet? I'm attending UTHSCSA as well.

I'm sorry I'm blowing up this old post guys!! Just trying to get some insight as to last years process vs this year...this waiting game is killing me! :)