Texas MPJE last week... here's what I think :)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

motorx

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi y'all,
I took the Texas MPJE last week and it seems fair and straight forward. You would be expected to know all the definitions from the Texas exam blueprints like: Misbranded, adulterated, and questions regarding rph; PIC, pharmtech CE, records, responsibilities, renewal. Then you'll see question regarding off site storage; inventories and tons of questions regarding refills, and transfer of controlled drugs as well as rx for "office use". All that make up of more than half of the exams. The rest of the exam, you'll be asked about the number of people in the board, their qualifications; board inspection, application processes, etc.
The wording in the exam is horrible. NABP probably outsource the exam writer to some guys/gals in India or China. You can obviously tell that the exam was written by somebody who is not fluent in English. Some of the questions, you can clearly see that the programmer cut the question so short that it doesn't make any sense at all.
Anyway, after taking the Massachusetts MPJE, the California CPJE, and now the Texas MPJE I would say the Massachusetts MPJE was the easiest one of them all; Texas MPJE was fair; California CPJE was a beast. It doesn't fit to be called a Judicial exam at all since 98% of the questions were clinical (only 2-3 questions were laws related).

For Texas MPJE, I used Lexis Nexis, Fred Brinkley and Kaplan by Cacciatore. Lexis Nexis is the law itself so unless you're a lawyer it's really boring (It costs only $30 from ecampus); The Fred Brinkley book makes more sense to read than Lexis Nexis but still it's a thick book (300+ pages). It costs over $120 (it's the most expensive book of the 3). Lastly, the Kaplan reviews by Cacciatore is the best. It's only 59 pages long, it's compact and direct to the core of what you really need to know for the Texas MPJE. However, it omitted some of the most important things about PIC, RPH, Pharm Interns, Student Intern, Pharm Tech responsibilities (they were on my exam); it also omitted the process of board inspection and board's purposes. Luckily these info. are available in both the Fred Brinkley's book and Lexis Nexis book.
In conclusion, Fred Brinkley's book or Lexis Nexis book by itself is sufficient for Texas MPJE but they're hard to read. The Kaplan reviews is easier to read but it's insufficient. Finally, you'll need to think like a FOB to understand the FOB who writes the questions for the exam :laugh: Gosh, I hope I passed so I don't have to read that MOFO's questions again.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks for the quick synopsis!

I managed to grab my hands on Cacciatore's 59 page gem and I'm reading that... I think I may have come upon a discrepancy on page 24, however; It says that no 90 day multiple prescriptions are allowed in Texas for C-II, but according to Texas Controlled Substance Act:

(Sec. 481.07)

"a prescribing practitioner may issue multiple prescriptions authorizing the patient to receive a total of up to a 90-day supply of a Schedule II controlled substance if:
(1) each separate prescription is issued for a legitimate medical purpose by a prescribing practitioner acting in the usual course of professional practice;
(2) the prescribing practitioner provides written instructions on each prescription to be filled at a later date indicating the earliest date on which a pharmacy may fill each prescription;
(3) the prescribing practitioner concludes that providing the patient with multiple prescriptions in this manner does not create an undue risk of diversion or abuse;"

Maybe I'm reading it out of context, but I hope there aren't any other discrepancies.

I PASSED TEXAS MPJE:smuggrin:

Actually what you said was right for Hospice and LTCF. I did not see that in my exam but from what I understand, the 90 days is prohibited. If you see a CII rx with 90days supply, you should pick up the phone and call the MD.

Thanks for the quick synopsis!

I managed to grab my hands on Cacciatore's 59 page gem and I'm reading that... I think I may have come upon a discrepancy on page 24, however; It says that no 90 day multiple prescriptions are allowed in Texas for C-II, but according to Texas Controlled Substance Act:

(Sec. 481.07)

"a prescribing practitioner may issue multiple prescriptions authorizing the patient to receive a total of up to a 90-day supply of a Schedule II controlled substance if:
(1) each separate prescription is issued for a legitimate medical purpose by a prescribing practitioner acting in the usual course of professional practice;
(2) the prescribing practitioner provides written instructions on each prescription to be filled at a later date indicating the earliest date on which a pharmacy may fill each prescription;
(3) the prescribing practitioner concludes that providing the patient with multiple prescriptions in this manner does not create an undue risk of diversion or abuse;"

Maybe I'm reading it out of context, but I hope there aren't any other discrepancies.

The 59 page study guide is not updated. It used to be not allowed, but it recently changed to allow up to 90 day supply of C-II's written on multiple prescriptions, but they have to have the earliest fill date on each one, but all 3 must be dated on the same date.

For example... You get 3 separate C-II's for Adderall 30 mg 1 QD #30 written on January 1, 2010. The 2nd script will have written on it earliest fill date is February 1, 2010 and 3rd script will say earliest fill date is March 1, 2010.

Members don't see this ad :)
Would any of you be willing to sell your copy of the Cacciatore review guide? Or make a copy and send it to me either by snail mail or electronically? Please email me @ [email protected]

Thanks!

According to DEA, it is not prohibited to prescribe 90 days C-II substances. It is the DUTY of pharmacist to verify and decide to accept rx. Most of time, those scripts are rejected.

Is anyone willing to share information on how to get the Cacciatore 59 page review for the MPJE? I'd be interested in buying a copy.

Thanks!

I took the TX MPJE last week and found the test to be straightforward but tricky at times. One thing that helped me was trying to figure out the point of the questions, i.e. What are they trying to test? I used the Cacciatore 59-page guide to study and definitely recommend it if you are short on time.

Here are areas where you should focus your studying:
- inventory requirements
- adulteration/misbranding
- know who and when to counsel. Make sure you read carefully and distinguish between the offer to counsel and actually providing the counseling, also who is doing the counseling
- transferring prescriptions, especially CS
- Electronic prescribing
- C2 prescribing and the new changes that were recently made
- self-prescribing in TX
- Who has prescribing authority (NOT naturopathic doctors)
- Med Paks
- Insulin in regard to the law
- Dosing limits for CS
- Disciplinary action
- How many CE hours required for specific types of pharmacists and how often
- Prescription labeling, also requirements for hospitals and ERs

GOOD LUCK!!

Reactions: 1 user
Hey tmcrph,

Can you please tell us where did you find the 59 page Cacciatore guide?

Thanks!

Hey guys: What chapters and/or sections should I focus on when reading the Brinkley Texas Pharmacy Law Book?

Thanks!

Does anyone know where I can buy the gary cacciatore's book. I tried ebay and google but not much help. Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad :)
I took both the Pennsylvania and Texas MPJE and passed both, in my opinion the TX MPJE was slightly easier, it seemed to have a few more straightforward questions. Seemed like PA MPJE test writers purposely attempt to trick you on some questions.

Do you still have the G. cacciatore? If you dont mind can i buy it from you. What version do you have is it 2011? Pls let me know. Thanks

I took the TX MPJE last week and found the test to be straightforward but tricky at times. One thing that helped me was trying to figure out the point of the questions, i.e. What are they trying to test? I used the Cacciatore 59-page guide to study and definitely recommend it if you are short on time.

- inventory requirements
- know who and when to counsel. Make sure you read carefully and distinguish between the offer to counsel and actually providing the counseling, also who is doing the counseling
- Electronic prescribing
- self-prescribing in TX
- Med Paks
- Dosing limits for CS
- Disciplinary action

GOOD LUCK!!

Hi, I was wondering if Brinkley's 6th edition law book will be ok to study from since I don't have much time to order the updated version. I took a law class about 2 yrs ago so I'm not sure if much has changed since then. Thank you: )

Just took Texas MPJE 12/3/11. Found out that I passed..Could have sworn I had flunked it..Computer Adaptive Test (CAT)..You will feel like you flunked when you get through. I also used Gary Cacciatorie 59p Review..It's the one I reviewed the most. I also had Lexis Nexis, some Pronopass, and Gary's Larger book, but the 59p is a gem. There's no way to ace a CAT, but I would be sure and review pro DUR, refills, transfers, Hippa,Power of Att., etc..some areas I did not review very well.:oops:

Just took Texas MPJE 12/3/11. Found out that I passed..Could have sworn I had flunked it..Computer Adaptive Test (CAT)..You will feel like you flunked when you get through. I also used Gary Cacciatorie 59p Review..It's the one I reviewed the most. I also had Lexis Nexis, some Pronopass, and Gary's Larger book, but the 59p is a gem. There's no way to ace a CAT, but I would be sure and review pro DUR, refills, transfers, Hippa,Power of Att., etc..some areas I did not review very well.:oops:

Hi, can you share a copy of Gary's review? If not, can you please tell me how to acquire one. Thank you

just passed the TX MPJE few days ago, the test wasnt bad at all, i think 1 week will do, i used Gary Cacciatorie 59p Review.. I also had Lexis Nexis.

just passed the TX MPJE few days ago, the test wasnt bad at all, i think 1 week will do, i used Gary Cacciatorie 59p Review.. I also had Lexis Nexis.

do you mind if i ask how long did you study for it? i am thinking about moving to texas

i just passed TX law exam few day ago i used Gary Cacciatorie 59p Review and Lexis Nexis as well, it was an easy test i think 1 week or even few days before the test will do

I am relocating to Texas soon and I have looked everywhere for these books. I can find the Lexis Nexis but no luck on the Cacciatorie. Would anyone be willing to sell their books, please? PM me if so. Thank you SO SO much

I would also like to purchase a copy of the 59 page, Kaplan Guide to Texas Law. I am moving to Houston, Texas next week and I'm still waiting for my ATT. I'm getting stressed out about the move and getting licensed in Texas. Please PM me or email me at [email protected]. Thank you!

Hi all, Congradulations on all passing TX MPJE!
have a question, I just went through NAPLEX/MPJE in OK, how can I get approval for sitting in TX MPJE because I am not official yet? I can not apply by using Preliminary Application form for reciprocity. Thanks

- inventory requirements
- Electronic prescribing
- self-prescribing in TX
- Med Paks
- Dosing limits for CS
- Disciplinary action
By any chance do you still have tat book?
can i buy or borrow it?
i couldn't find it anywhere
sorry to bother
GOOD LUCK!!