Texas MPJE Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drivn

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it still required to submit control prescription information to the Department of Public Safety no later than the 15th day after the last day of the month?

Does the DPS still play a real big role for TX? Is there a specific DPS number along with a DEA number that TX prescribers have to have on their prescriptions? for controls?

Can someone please simplify this for me? I've looked it up, including the board website, but can't seem to understand the role of DPS in TX.

Members don't see this ad.

From what I read it is now required to submit information to the DPS no later than 7 days after the controlled Rx is filled.

While every practitioner is required to have a DPS number, it is not required to be on the actual prescription, but should be on file with the rest if the practitioners information (e.g. DEA, NPI, etc.)

You should think of the DPS like the DEA of Texas. DEA is responsible for the Federal Controlled Substance Act (FCSA) while the DPS is responsible for the Texas Controlled Safety Act (TCSA)

So I think you should know the difference of when to notify which a fence. When applying for a pharmacy license in Texas you must first get a DPS license before getting a DEA license. Also you will se most laws mention notifying the DEA and not DPS (e.g. Controlled substance disposal with DEA 41 form, reverse distribution with DEA 222 form, change of ownership, closing of pharmacy, etc.) and really only mentions the DPS with the old CII triplicate official form where copy 2 use to be sent to DPS BUT NO LONGER IS (stays with copy 1 and is not valid by itself) and in the case of significant loss or theft when you also submit DEA form 106 within 2 months of discovery, but notify the DPS, TSBP, and DEA with a written notice immediately.

Does that answer your question?

Last edited:
I believe the law was changed regarding the submission of controlled prescription to the DPS in order to provide "real time" informations through the new DPS website that allows pharmacist and physicians see patients controlled prescription history.

Yes! Thank you so much!

Does the board now have 11 members instead of 7?

I keep coming across discrepancies but I guess that's what I get for using out-dated information. I'm glad the laws are posted online to compare.

Do you have any updated information?

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm using the 59 page review and the sarah fichuk book.

I think you're right it seems a little too dated. Unfortunately, I'm taking my test on Tuesday of next week. I've been looking things up on the website but I'm afraid that may not be enough.

I caught the 11 board members on the website.

I'm not sure about the lag time but most of that information isn't that recent. The 7th day submission to DPS was in a 2013 version of my law book. The updated tech ratio of 1:4 was on March 2014 so I'm pretty sure that will all be on the exam. I'm pretty sure the update to members of the board will be on the exam as well. I would definitely get the most up to day version of whatever source you have an study from there.

Here are a few changes i came across from 2013 compared to 2014 version of my book while studying.

-Tech ratio increased from 1:3 to 1:4
-PA/ANP (Mid level provider) to MD ratio increased from 4:1 to 7:1
-No longer required to notify MD of dosage form change
-Board members increased from 9 to 11 (7 RPh, 3 Public, 1 Tech)
-Addition RPh CE Requirement - Starting 1/1/14 - will require 1 contact hour (0.1 CEUs) of Texas laws and rules
-pharmacist license no longer has to be displayed in the pharmacy. ONLY PIC
-Change of PIC inventory - changed from "limited inventory" to complete controled substance inventory" (same as annual inventory)

Reactions: 1 user
I think its too late to order the book you're using. I'm hoping for the best with what I have and the information you've provided me. If you come across anything else, please let me know! I'd appreciate it more than you know!

Thank you so much!!

Anyone taken the exam recently using the 59 page review that's been floating around here or the sarah fishuk book?

Out of state CIII-IV can be filled if there are NO refills on the original prescription? But if there are refills then you can't fill an out of state control (CIII-IV) prescription?

Same concept of Mexico/Canada prescriptions for dangerous drugs? only if there is a prescription that has no refills?

Out of state CIII-IV can be filled if there are NO refills on the original prescription? But if there are refills then you can't fill an out of state control (CIII-IV) prescription?

Same concept of Mexico/Canada prescriptions for dangerous drugs? only if there is a prescription that has no refills?
I'm not sure if I am understanding... As far as I know out of state controlled prescriptions can be filled up to 5 times in 6 months. The prescription can only be transferred once though (exception: pharmacies with a real time connect computer system). Controlled prescription may not be filled for out of state mid-level practitioners, practitioners from Canada/Mexico, and of course foreign practitioners unless.

Dangerous drug prescriptions from Canada/Mexico may be filled, but may not be transferred from out of state pharmacies (e.g. May be transferred from Texas pharmacies). It must be a WRITTEN prescription and only the refill originally written on the prescription can be filled (e.g. Refills cannot be verbally authorized)

According to TX law---you can compound for a physicians office but federal you can't…do I go with the federal law?

Also, do med packs expire in 1 year for texas…federal it says 60 days? do I go with 60 days?

Why do states makes laws if federal is already more strict?! so confusing.

Congrats - to all others, I highly suggest buying the latest version of Cacciatore's book. There have been a lot changes in TX law and who really wants to go through all of the stress of finding updates?

P.S. 1.0 contact hour of law is required for both pharmacists and techs

I thought that wasn't required for pharmacists until January 2015. That's what Dr Cacciatore told us when he did our review.

Can anyone tell me the depth we should know HIPAA info? I take my test on Tuesday too, I dont want to waste time memorizing this if its not important

Found out I passed last Thursday!

Never want to take that test again.

Thank you for all your help, pharmdrx2014!

Can someone explain about the compounding rules for a doctors office? As someone said earlier, the federal law says not to compound for office use but in Texas we can compound a "reasonable amount"; which rule should we follow?

Also, were there more class A or Class C questions? I have mere hours to go and Im trying to focus my studying :)

thanks!!

PharmD_Rxpost: 15388711 said:
I thought that wasn't required for pharmacists until January 2015. That's what Dr Cacciatore told us when he did our review.

Do you have an electr