Texas MPJE

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

unknown82

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been reading some of these posts and it seems like the MPJE is a harder test compared to the NAPLEX itself!
I have also heard that the Florida, California, and Texas law exams are the hardest to pass.

For the people that have recently taken the Texas MPJE, was it really that bad??? I really only plan on taking it once because I have to get licensed before a set deadline. Any advice or ideas on study materials to use would be helpful.
Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I'm also planning on taking a TX MPJE? How hard is it..and roughly how many days to prepare for it?

I took the Texas MPJE last year in July. I did not think it was all that difficult. I studied when I could for about a month. I received a 90 on the Exam. Get the Lexis-Nexis Texas Law book. Print the compentance statements of of the Texas BOP web site and you should be good to go

My TX mpje will be a license by reciprocity exam so i'm not real familiar with the TX laws. While reading the law, they keep talking about dangerous drugs but didn't mention which ones are considered dangerous.

Any idea which meds are included in the tx dangerous drug act? I know they are seperate from CI-CV. so they must be non-controlled drugs. I tried googling this but couldn't find anything. Any help would be appreciated!

Members don't see this ad :)
My TX mpje will be a license by reciprocity exam so i'm not real familiar with the TX laws. While reading the law, they keep talking about dangerous drugs but didn't mention which ones are considered dangerous.

Any idea which meds are included in the tx dangerous drug act? I know they are seperate from CI-CV. so they must be non-controlled drugs. I tried googling this but couldn't find anything. Any help would be appreciated!

Dangerous drugs = Prescription only drugs (minus controlled substances)

They are considered "dangerous" because they cannot be used without proper medical supervision.

Stop coming to Texas!!! We got too many pharmacists and the salary will start declining!!!

:smuggrin:

Well,

I just thought that I should share my experience with Texas MPJE with everyone. May be helpful for some or may be not. I am new to this forum, however, I've been checking this forum since Nov 08 because I have to take MPJE again. Mine is reciprocity, therefore, so many steps and so many headaches before the exam.

I applied for NABP for MPJE exams, then TX board for application, then fingerprint, then moral voucher, etc. Finally I got an ATT via email on Feb 09. (when I first sit for my primary license in 06, everything was via mail)

Then I took MPJE on march 3rd 09. I studied with Fred Brinkley, Jr., book and Prontopass cards. Prontopass are helpful for short memorizations and Brinkley's book is the entire law book simplified version. Unfortunately, most of the questions were not from the memorization cards but from the book I skimmed through. I thought I would fail the exam, panicking about the result since TX needs to apply for re-examination and extra steps.

However, I checked the TX board website on 03/13/09 and I found my name and license number. Still it shows applicant and expires on 04/13/09 but i believe that I passed. Yay!!!

Hopefully my story would be helpful for some people...but it's not that hard. Make sure you read the book at least 3 times before the exams. That's my advice.

Could you post the title of the Frank Brinkley, Jr. book you mentioned? I'm currently studying for the MPJE in Texas. Thanks....

I know it's been a while since you've posted this message...but I was wondering if you purchased the STudy guide and if it was worth it or not?

I just recently took the tx mpje as reciprocity and thought it was hard. I felt like I didn't do well on the exam and feared that I might have to retake it. Has anyone on here done that? Retake the exam is fine....I just need more time to review as oppose to the one I recently took, but the process one must go thru is time consuming.

Thanks.

Hello,

How did you prepare for the MPJE? I will also need to take the MPJE since I am transferring my license from CA. Waiting for my ATT number.

I just recently took the tx mpje as reciprocity and thought it was hard. I felt like I didn't do well on the exam and feared that I might have to retake it. Has anyone on here done that? Retake the exam is fine....I just need more time to review as oppose to the one I recently took, but the process one must go thru is time consuming.

Thanks.

Hello,

How did you prepare for the MPJE? I will also need to take the MPJE since I am transferring my license from CA. Waiting for my ATT number.

Hi. I prepared the exam by reading the Fred Brinkley book I ordered directly from the Texas Pharmacist Association. The book is a summary of all the chapters related to pharmacy practice (both federal and state, tx that is) but it's still a very thick book. I guess the problem for me was I didn't skim thru the book enough before the exam. Also the were questions that I felt ambigous or vague in a way so it was hard to answer. There were some questions that I have to pick an answer just so to move on because of all the choices given I couldn't find one that suite the question.
IMO...there is no unique way to prepare for the exam. My advice, whatever material you have in regard to pharmacy practice in Tx
is to read, read, and read. Allow yourself enough time. Expect that there are questions that you might be clueless as there were for me. Rest well the night before, dress comfortably the day of, and relax. Worse case of all we're allow to retake the exam if we failed (although I regret facing that but oh, well). Best of luck.

Ps. I will be a transplant to Houston as to you as well. Are you already in Houston? Maybe we can PM each other and see how things are going? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad :)
Fallbrook:

While I passed using Fred Brinkley (read once), I recommend the lexis nexis book - while it is thicker, I think it is better, more accurate, comprehensive. Some of the questions asked from the study guide on the TSBP website i felt were not in Fred Brinkley.

Do you work for a retail pharmacy? Lot of those places give out Law review packets to their new employees (I read both of mine religiously and Fred Brinkley once).

Good luck

hi, how long did you wait after submitting application to the tx board to get the att to take the test ? do you still have your notes for sale? i'm trying to prepare for my test, congrats on your passing!

Hey! are you Arnold from USN? Anyway It took 6 weeks from the date of application until I got my ATT. I used the prontopass MPJE for Texas and read the state statutes to study for the test and I passed. Good luck on your test and welcome to Texas.

Hi Sheem,

I took my the Texas MPJE on 10/21/09 and just found out a few minutes ago that I passed!

I've got the Fred Brinkley 5th edition book that I was going to sell. Can you PM if you're interested.

Thanks.

Hello,
I am planning to write Texas MPJE exam. If someone is interested in selling his/her law books or notes pls. let me know.
Thanks,
Sheem

I'm also planning on taking a TX MPJE? How hard is it..and roughly how many days to prepare for it?

I took the Texas MPJE last year in July. I did not think it was all that difficult. I studied when I could for about a month. I received a 90 on the Exam. Get the Lexis-Nexis Texas Law book. Print the compentance statements of of the Texas BOP web site and you should be good to go

Dangerous drugs = Prescription only drugs (minus controlled substances)

They are considered "dangerous" because they cannot be used without proper medical supervision.

I'm taking Texas MPJE today at 11:00 AM (8/6/08). Wish me luck.

Stop coming to Texas!!! We got too many pharmacists and the salary will start declining!!!

:smuggrin:

Well,

I just thought that I should share my experience with Texas MPJE with everyone. May be helpful for some or may be not. I am new to this forum, however, I've been checking this forum since Nov 08 because I have to take MPJE again. Mine is reciprocity, therefore, so many steps and so many headaches before the exam.

I applied for NABP for MPJE exams, then TX board for application, then fingerprint, then moral voucher, etc. Finally I got an ATT via email on Feb 09. (when I first sit for my primary license in 06, everything was via mail)

Then I took MPJE on march 3rd 09. I studied with Fred Brinkley, Jr., book and Prontopass cards. Prontopass are helpful for short memorizations and Brinkley's book is the entire law book simplified version. Unfortunately, most of the questions were not from the memorization cards but from the book I skimmed through. I thought I would fail the exam, panicking about the result since TX needs to apply for re-examination and extra steps.

However, I checked the TX board website on 03/13/09 and I found my name and license number. Still it shows applicant and expires on 04/13/09 but i believe that I passed. Yay!!!

Hopefully my story would be helpful for some people...but it's not that hard. Make sure you read the book at least 3 times before the exams. That's my advice.

Could you post the title of the Frank Brinkley, Jr. book you mentioned? I'm currently studying for the MPJE in Texas. Thanks....

Fred Brinkley Jr book:
http://www.rxpert.org/displaycommon.cfm?an=1&subarticlenbr=72#Four

I'm still deciding, but think I'm going with Lexis Nexis..

I know it's been a while since you've posted this message...but I was wondering if you purchased the STudy guide and if it was worth it or not?

Thanks.

Hi there,

I am in the exact situation transferring my license from CA to TX. I just turned my official appl from NABP to Tx B of Pharmacy. Now just trying to figure out how to prepare for the law exam.

How did you do on the MPJE?
Thanks!

Hello,

Hi. I prepared the exam by reading the Fred Brinkley book I ordered directly from the Texas Pharmacist Association. The book is a summary of all the chapters related to pharmacy practice (both federal and state, tx that is) but it's still a very thick book. I guess the problem for me was I didn't skim thru the book enough before the exam. Also the were questions that I felt ambigous or vague in a way so it was hard to answer. There were some questions that I have to pick an answer just so to move on because of all the choices given I couldn't find one that suite the question.
IMO...there is no unique way to prepare for the exam. My advice, whatever material you have in regard to pharmacy practice in Tx
is to read, read, and read. Allow yourself enough time. Expect that there are questions that you might be clueless as there were for me. Rest well the night before, dress comfortably the day of, and relax. Worse case of all we're allow to retake the exam if we failed (although I regret facing that but oh, well). Best of luck.

Ps. I will be a transplant to Houston as to you as well. Are you already in Houston? Maybe we can PM each other and see how things are going? Thanks.

Fallbrook:

While I passed using Fred Brinkley (read once), I recommend the lexis nexis book - while it is thicker, I think it is better, more accurate, comprehensive. Some of the questions asked from the study guide on the TSBP website i felt were not in Fred Brinkley.

Do you work for a retail pharmacy? Lot of those places give out Law review packets to their new employees (I read both of mine religiously and Fred Brinkley once).

Good luck

hi, how long did you wait after submitting application to the tx board to get the att to take the test ? do you still have your notes for sale? i'm trying to prepare for my test, congrats on your passing!

Hey! are you Arnold from USN? Anyway It took 6 weeks from the date of application until I got my ATT. I used the prontopass MPJE for Texas and read the state statutes to study for the test and I passed. Good luck on your test and welcome to Texas.

If you speak broken English you will have a hard time passing the Texas MPJE. Even if you do pass, most Texans hate people who can't properly pronounce words in English.

All it takes is one foreign pharmacist to ruin business (e.g. prescription volume) at a pharmacy.

Does anyone think an American, let alone a Texan, wants to hear a foreigner tell them how to take their medication?!?!?:smuggrin:

Last edited by a moderator:
If you speak broken English you will have a hard time passing the Texas MPJE. Even if you do pass, most Texans hate people who can't properly pronounce words in English.

All it takes is one foreign pharmacist to ruin business (e.g. prescription volume) at a pharmacy.

Does anyone think an American, let alone a Texan, wants to hear a foreigner tell them how to take their medication?!?!?:smuggrin:

What's in the f@#$&%# world is this person trying to say? What kind of an idiot saying is this?

RxMarine:

Don't be a hater just because you didn't pass the Texas MPJE the first, second, or third time around, even with your PERFECTLY spoken English!!!

I would rather be counseled by a "foreign pharmacist" who had passed his/her exam on the 1st attempt than getting a consultation from a non-foreign pharmacist who had to take the exam 4 times or more to pass!

What century do you live in? Have you ever even gone outside of your Texan world? It's a shame knowing that you are a part of the pharmacy profession. You need to learn how to respect all your colleagues regardless of the color of their skin.

Hi,

Anyboby wants to study together for texas mpje. I am planning to take in end of December. You can contact me on my email address

[email protected]

Or any useful material for texas mpje.I do have Fred Brinky book. Any help would be appreciated.

Hi,
Did u take the test?... I am planning to take the TX mpje too. I sent the online application from the TX board of Pcy. Do I have to send any documents or will they send me the info? Could u pls let me know the process.

thx

Hi Bhupati,
I am NJ licensed pharmacist & now I am planning to take TX MPJE soon. So cld. you suggest me which book/notes shd. I refer for this exam. As I have already studies Reiss & Barry for federal law & now looking for state law(TX).
Are you done with this exam or still preparing? If you have passed this exam and selling the material pls. let me know. Pls. respond me ASAP.
Thanks in advance,
Sheem

Hi,
Did u take the test?... I am planning to take the TX mpje too. I sent the online application from the TX board of Pcy. Do I have to send any documents or will they send me the info? Could u pls let me know the process.

thx

Hello Everyone,

I'm looking for Texas MPJE materials that can be helpful in passing the exam. Notes from class, a review 30-page hand-out, etc. I have materials for some of the other states & would be interested in trading. Please reply back or visit my website GreatPharmacist.com & email me from there.

Thank you!

Hello Everyone,

I'm looking for Texas MPJE materials that can be helpful in passing the exam. Notes from class, a review 30-page hand-out, etc. I have materials for some of the other states & would be interested in trading. Please reply back or visit my website GreatPharmacist.com & email me from there.

Thank you!

how is it that your official title at your current job is a "Staff Clinical Pharmacist" (per your CV)? YOu're usually hired on as a staff pharmacist OR a clinical pharmacist (+/- some staffing).

"Screened Drug Interactions" section on a CV? Seriously? Wow. I have never seen a CV where a pharmacist lists the drug interactions they've screened. If any one of us had to do that, I can gaurantee you that it'll be 9 pages long in one shift.

"Honors and Awards: September 2002 Letter of recognition from the Secretary of State for no moving violation for four years" Thanks for the humor

Last edited:
Hey guys...I have been studying the Brinkley book for the TX MPJE. If I print the competency statements from the board website and study the book that I have, do you think that will be enough?

I passed with a score in the 90s and I only used the LexisNexis book. I printed the competency statement off TSBP's website and studied most of the stuff listed on there. I skipped some sections like on nuclear pharmacy and clinics. Make sure you know class A pharmacy and controlled substances really well. You also need to know the time frames to report or complete things, like within 72 hrs, 7 days, 10 days, etc.

Could please provide the link to the competency statement? I looked at the TX Board of Pharmacy website but could not find it.

Thanks.

For those who passed-- when did you get your results? I took my exam yesterday and have no idea how it went. When can I expect results?

For those who passed-- when did you get your results? I took my exam yesterday and have no idea how it went. When can I expect results?

I received mine in the mail in 11 days.

If you walked out thinking you failed, then most likely you passed. If you walked out thinking it was easy, then you most likely failed. The exam is adaptive, so if you've been answering the Qs correctly, the computer will give you harder Qs. If you've been answering the Qs incorrectly, it will give you an easier Q.

Reactions: 1 user
how is it that your official title at your current job is a "Staff Clinical Pharmacist" (per your CV)? YOu're usually hired on as a staff pharmacist OR a clinical pharmacist (+/- some staffing).

"Screened Drug Interactions" section on a CV? Seriously? Wow. I have never seen a CV where a pharmacist lists the drug interactions they've screened. If any one of us had to do that, I can gaurantee you that it'll be 9 pages long in one shift.

"Honors and Awards: September 2002 Letter of recognition from the Secretary of State for no moving violation for four years" Thanks for the humor

That was one of the funniest things I have ever read! That cannot be this duds actual CV. It has to be a joke. He is the pharmacist in charge at a hospital and he works PRN for like 10 different companies? What is up with listing his rotations in pharmacy school back in 2001? The honors and awards is awesome! No moving violatons in 4 years! Wow you should be proud!
Screened drug interactions?!?!? WTF!

This has to be a joke no one would seriously send this to anyone.

Hey guys...I have been studying the Brinkley book for the TX MPJE. If I print the competency statements from the board website and study the book that I have, do you think that will be enough?

I don't know how much time you have left before your exam, but if you have a few weeks and can get hold of the Kaplan guide written by Gary Cacciatore, you'll have a superb summary that covers about 85-90% of the material you need to know for the test in an updated and much quicker read (59 pages vs. the billion or so pages that comprise the book). The 85-90% figure was one given to me by a friend who recently took the TX MPJE.

Cat.

I don't know how much time you have left before your exam, but if you have a few weeks and can get hold of the Kaplan guide written by Gary Cacciatore, you'll have a superb summary that covers about 85-90% of the material you need to know for the test in an updated and much quicker read (59 pages vs. the billion or so pages that comprise the book). The 85-90% figure was one given to me by a friend who recently took the TX MPJE.

Cat.

We were lucky that Gary Cacciatore was the one who taught the law section at our university.

Cat.

Quick update: I passed my TX MPJE with an 89...I used ONLY the Cacciatore guide above.

Good luck to all who have yet to take this test.

Cat

I found out I passed today by looking myself up on the Texas license verification site. I took the test 8 days ago. I'm impressed with the quick turnaround.

As noted above, the Kaplan guide by Cacciatore is flat out the best. I got mine through a SDN member...and I have no idea how or where you can buy it...but if you can DEFINITELY get your hands on it. It's very succinct and accurate as to what you need to know.

Can someone tell me how long it takes for result to come back? TSBOP states it is within 3 weeks? does it really take that long? and how do you check for it? I am anxious to know if I passed. Thanks

Can someone tell me how long it takes for result to come back? TSBOP states it is within 3 weeks? does it really take that long? and how do you check for it? I am anxious to know if I passed. Thanks

I took my MPJE on a Monday and was licensed by that weekend (late Sunday, oddly enough). The processing seemed to be quicker than with the NAPLEX, but this also seems highly variable and depends on the number of grades the TSBP is processing.

Cat.

Would anybody here kindly point me to how to obtain the Kaplan Guide by Cacciatore? I went on Kaplan website but I can't get anything for Texas MPJE guide by Cacciatore. Please help. Thanks in advance.

I too am looking for the guide by Gary Cacciatore. So far I have just printed the law and have been reading it as written from the TSBP website.

Any ideas on where to actually get a summarized review book for 2010?