Texas MPJE

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

all4rx

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just took MPJE yesterday. Walked out and felt pretty much the same way or even worse than when I took NAPLEX. I spent 2 weeks to study for the test and all I used was the Brinkley's book & 59-page review. I thought I had memorized and/or known enough details to tackle MPJE...oh boy, I was so wrong....almost 40-50% questions asked on my test was either not in the law book or wasn't described clearly enough. 90% of my test is also the awful K-type questions where I could only narrow down 2 choices left, and ended up clicking with my gut instinct & best guess....I felt like I was guessing at least 60-70% of the test. Of course, there were straight-forward questions, but I didn't recall many of them. Most questions were either vague or the answer choices were very similar to each other.

My questions are pretty random, but mostly Class A stuff, Controlled substance, drug destruction, counseling rules, technician requirement, CE requirement, etc. in very specific fact/detail that you must be able to recite the law statement word-by-word to get it correct. I also got Class D, compounding questions, barely any class C questions, and no nuclear pharmacy stuff. Scenario-typed questions were here and there also; and I think unless I encounter some of the situations in pharmacy practice (which I didn't mostly), I would just guess the best appropriate answer.

I seriously think I did not pass, given there are only 60 questions to play with....much depressed right now... :( ... In the worst case scenario, I have to retake the exam. I know I have to wait 30 days to retake, but do I just assume I'll receive ATT exactly one month from now or I have to arrange some stuff with TSBP?

Please help!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I have my Texas MPJE coming up in 2 weeks and hearing your experience scares me now. I was planning on using the Brinkley/Cacciatore book and the new book by Sarah Fichuk, "Pass the Texas Pharmacy Law Exam". I hope that will be enough.

Anyway, from hearing what past students have thought of the law exam, sounds pretty much like what you wrote. A few people I've spoken to said it wasn't that bad though. I think you either get law or you don't. Also, depending on how you interpret the law, it can be very subjective on how you answer the question.

I hope you did better than you think, and thanks for the info on what to expect.

Just use the new book "Pass the Texas Pharmacy Law Exam" - it has everything you need to know in bulleted lists. The Brinkley book is just copied and pasted laws into a spiral bound format. If you are able to do all the questions in the back of the new book, then you will be just fine.

Really? "Pass the Texas Pharmacy Law Exam" looks so simple and straight forward; just worried it wouldn't be detailed enough, but it it's all I need to look at, that would be great! Is that what you used?

Members don't see this ad :)
I wrote it :) Seriously, its all you need. I took the Texas MPJE last August because I had moved out of state and let my license expire. So I already knew what to study and got a 95. I put everything that I studied into the book. That's why I wrote it, so others can have a easier time than I did.

Wow! That's very impressive! I love the way it is written btw. Very straight forward and easy to read. Thanks, and congrats on your publication! I am giving myself exactly 2 weeks to study and I just cracked it open today...

Thanks - let me know how it goes for you and if you recommend any changes in the book. Make sure you can talk about everything on the "make sure you know" list in the beginning of the book. And know the controlled substances cold - both texas and federal. And tell all your friends/classmates :)

The TX law test has always been one that people worried about. I took it about 10 years ago and had 10 years of retail experience at the time. The questions were the most confusing I had ever seen. My advice that I have given to PharmD students over the years has been what I did in that situation. A little way into the exam I paused and told myself...you have been a Pharmacist for 10 years, this shouldn't be that hard..so I regrouped. I started answering the questions as though I was actually helping a customer. Many of them were related to retail and regarding partial fills on scheduled and unscheduled prescriptions. For example: Alprazolam 0.25mg #30 1qd ref x 5...filled in full once and then the customer comes in next month and only wants 10, then it will ask you how many refills he has left and 4 plus a partial is not one of the choices. He has more than 4 but not 5 so you sit there and wonder what they are looking for. I chose 5 because 4 is definitely wrong. Not sure if I got that specific one correct but that is how vague they are and in actual retail you would refill it 5 more times, one would just be another partial. Just answer with what you would tell a customer. I passed and have not worked in TX in several years but still keep the license so I never have to take that law test again!

Believe it!!!!!!
I wish I knew about Mackand blues' book because I feel like I wasted SOO much time reading Brinkley's book!!

Mackandblue: do you u have a study guide for the NAPLEX?? :)

Amazon. It's called pass the Texas pharmacy law exam. Please let your classmates know, I wrote it to help everyone out because the Brinkley book is horrible!

Does anyone know answers to these?

1. Inventories taken in the HOSPITAL has to be notarized as well right? Both the annual inventory n perpetual CII inventory

2. Who needs to sign daily log printed which contains info about drugs dispensed?
Rph who printed it? Rph who's working that day? Rph who dispensed the meds? Or pic?

Members don't see this ad :)
I took my texas MPJE just this past Saturday and I'm pretty anxious to find out my score.

Can anyone tell me how to navigate through on NABP website to get ur score?

I've been logging into NABP clicked on student clicked on new! score online or something like that which takes me to another login page in which I have already created pswd for. Then once I'm logged on there, there are several tabs on top of the page and the last tab says something about seeing ur score. So I clicked on it and it says in red print that there are no scores now.

Am I in the right page? Is this how u go about in checking ur score online? Any feedback will be appreciated

Hey don't panic. I took the exam on Thursday and have been experiencing the same as you described. First, you can't get your result until 48-72 hours after you took the exam. 2) You log on at 12pm your time however, today is different bcos all my friends that had their exams last thursday are not seeing any result either,so its either they are late or we won't be able to see our results till tomorrow.

I'm as anxious as you are but my bible say be anxious for nothing....lol

Hey and my exam was Texas MPJE as well
haha yea i know that the results come out at least 2 to 3 days after taking the exam but i still can't help from checking

since i took it on satuday, i'm assuming the score will come out tomorrow (tuesday) the latest?

i didn't think the test was hard but it wasn't easy either. all the questions asked were something i went over before but i just coudn't remember anything down to last detail! studied 2 weeks for it and thought i was well prepared but the exam showed me otherwise. the choices were vague and now i feel like i went with all the wrong answers! i couldn't concentrate for some reason when i got to the testing site. i kept looking at the time displayed on top right corner of the screen, thinking about the people that are counting on me to pass.. family, cowoker, bosses.. etc etc. all sorts of thoughts were going through my head and i just couldn't concentrate!

I got so depressed after taking the exam i lost appetite. i couldn't eat anything or sleep till 5 am the next day. i have never stressed this much over a test! i don't know where all this pressure is coming from.

Hey Pharmer7, I do feel your pain though. A lot of thought were going thru my mind as well. Things like, how could I pass the NAPLEX and fail Tx MPJE? Everyone is been saying you aced the harder one and not knowing that MPJE can be very vague and sometimes confusing. Tomorrow is alost on us anyways. I'm sure you'll be fine.

By the way, I don't know what happened with NABP system today, I t was long delayed in showing results. So i checked around 2pm Texas West time and found out I passed! Though barely

Hey Pharmer7, I do feel your pain though. A lot of thought were going thru my mind as well. Things like, how could I pass the NAPLEX and fail Tx MPJE? Everyone is been saying you aced the harder one and not knowing that MPJE can be very vague and sometimes confusing. Tomorrow is alost on us anyways. I'm sure you'll be fine.

By the way, I don't know what happened with NABP system today, I t was long delayed in showing results. So i checked around 2pm Texas West time and found out I passed! Though barely

ME TOO! I took MA MPJE and I passed with an 81. I thought I did way worse but I am terrible at gauging my performance on the standardized tests...esp Naplex and MPJE since they are scaled. But anyway, Congrats to you :) And best of luck to you, Pharmer7. I am sure you passed. These exams are designed to make you feel dumb and as if you failed!

May I ask if Texas MPJE is more focused on clinical than law or just the law part? I am currently from California and I will be taking Texas MPJE next year. I know that CPJE (California) is more focused on clinical than law. But what about Texas MPJE? I just want to make sure I study the right material.

Also, does anyone have the 59-page of Kaplan review ? I would like to purchase it if you are selling. Thank you!

I PASSED TX MPJE!!!!!! WITH A 87! WHAT A RELIEF!

hard to believe... hard to believe!

i was told the scale for MPJE is 0 to 100
and NAPLEX is 0 to 150

is that right?

who cares. i passed!

Congrats!!! Both exams are scaled 0 to 150. Have you taken the NAPLEX yet?

Thx! Naw haven't taken NAPLEX yet. Any pointers for me?

Kinda disappointing to hear law is scaled to 150! Haha o well. I guess ppl tend to score lower on mpje..

Awesome! That makes me feel better!

Thanks for all the posts here. I was so devastated after taking the exam but reading these posts made me feel better knowing that I'm not the only one feeling this way. And that ppl actually passed after feeling the way I felt so that was comforting and I was hopeful

Glad I dont have to retake this crazy monster!

I understand that u can get your results within 48hr on NABP website. However, NABP only post score for primary jurisdiction (primary state). For those of us through reciprocity, how early will we know our result, and where do we go to check it?

thank you ChocoB. I took mine on Saturday, and I've been so anxious to see the score. I guess i'll keep stalking the NABP website then, because they still haven't posted my score.

yay! congrats! im really happy for you
Thanks!! I have been practicing in Maryland for 7 years as a nuclear pharmacist. I've only done retail for 6 month out of the 7yrs. I was very concern because I had forgotten a lot of non-nuclear related materials. I left the exam not knowing what to expect, and am expected to start my new job (also Nuclear) here in TX. The exam was very vague, you are not sure if you are picking the right answer. Thank God I passed.

I just took the test this wednesday and it was posted today (friday)! I found it useful to use both the hand outs together with the brinkley law book.
I am selling all material in classified. PM me for deets!

New to the mpje. What resources do u guys recommend? Is the "
Pass the Texas Pharmacy Law Exam: A Study Guide and Review for the Texas MPJE[Paperback" still ok since it was pub in 2012?

I just wanted to share my experience to help others primarily those taking the exam and out of state. So after countless sleuthing through the forum I decided to buy the Gary Carritore (sp?) 59 page review from 2010. I took my exam Saturday and it was unusual the questions were not confusing and as tossed up as the Illinois MPJE but then I thought maybe Im doing soo bad that their giving me easy question. .The 59-page review from 2010 is all I used to study for the Texas MPJE and I passed with a 90. I am currently working in Illinois and decided to take the exam so I can relocate back home to Houston. I consistently read the book over 4 days while working 40 hour week and walahhh I passed. Only thing I would recommend is going to TBSP FAQs to just double check if their is any new information. Other than that I'm glad I passed.

Has anyone received their license letter, for those who took their test in December? I have yet to receive anything.....o_O

I exactly felt the same way .... I took the exam on Monday ..... I got my result today !! Thank god I passed .... I am selling my book
Guide to Texas and Federal Pharmacy and Drug Law 8th Edition 2012 . I only studied this book for about 5 days. Send me a message if anyone is interested in buying.
Has anyone received their license letter, for those who took their test in December? I have yet to receive anything.....o_O

I just took MPJE yesterday. Walked out and felt pretty much the same way or even worse than when I took NAPLEX. I spent 2 weeks to study for the test and all I used was the Brinkley's book & 59-page review. I thought I had memorized and/or known enough details to tackle MPJE...oh boy, I was so wrong....almost 40-50% questions asked on my test was either not in the law book or wasn't described clearly enough. 90% of my test is also the awful K-type questions where I could only narrow down 2 choices left, and ended up clicking with my gut instinct & best guess....I felt like I was guessing at least 60-70% of the test. Of course, there were straight-forward questions, but I didn't recall many of them. Most questions were either vague or the answer choices were very similar to each other.

My questions are pretty random, but mostly Class A stuff, Controlled substance, drug destruction, counseling rules, technician requirement, CE requirement, etc. in very specific fact/detail that you must be able to recite the law statement word-by-word to get it correct. I also got Class D, compounding questions, barely any class C questions, and no nuclear pharmacy stuff. Scenario-typed questions were here and there also; and I think unless I encounter some of the situations in pharmacy practice (which I didn't mostly), I would just guess the best appropriate answer.

I seriously think I did not pass, given there are only 60 questions to play with....much depressed right now... :( ... In the worst case scenario, I have to retake the exam. I know I have to wait 30 days to retake, but do I just assume I'll receive ATT exactly one month from now or I have to arrange some stuff with TSBP?

Please help!

Please help!

I'm selling two brand new unused 2014 Guide to Texas and Federal Pharmacy and Drug Law books 9th if anyone needs to buy one.

I just wanted to share my experience to help others primarily those taking the exam and out of state. So after countless sleuthing through the forum I decided to buy the Gary Carritore (sp?) 59 page review from 2010. I took my exam Saturday and it was unusual the questions were not confusing and as tossed up as the Illinois MPJE but then I thought maybe Im doing soo bad that their giving me easy question. .The 59-page review from 2010 is all I used to study for the Texas MPJE and I passed with a 90. I am currently working in Illinois and decided to take the exam so I can relocate back home to Houston. I consistently read the book over 4 days while working 40 hour week and walahhh I passed. Only thing I would recommend is going to TBSP FAQs to just double check if their is any new information. Other than that I'm glad I passed.
Hey by any chance will you be selling that book
I cannot find a copy

Hi,
Are you the author for"Pass the texas pharmacy law" By SarahFichuk.If so I have few questions for you.Mackand blues

I wrote it :) Seriously, its all you need. I took the Texas MPJE last August because I had moved out of state and let my license expire. So I already knew what to study and got a 95. I put everything that I studied into the book. That's why I wrote it, so others can have a easier time than I did.