Texas Resident, low GPA, MCAT June 26th

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Call

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I'd suggest holding off applying for this cycle. If your GPA is as advertised you're better off waiting until next year so you'll at least have some sort of positive trend with a strong senior finish.

Get volunteering, call up as many hospitals that are nearby and start ASAP. Make sure you get at least 40-50 hours of shadowing this summer, and you seem set research-wise.

Since you're applying next year, I'd hold off on the MCAT as well, if you haven't signed up for the MCAT yet chances are you won't be able to snag a spot, unless you're willing to fly out to Hawaii or some other desolate location. Give yourself ample prep time (~3 months) and make sure you're prepared. It seems as if you're struggling with OChem, which you'll need to master and understand if you wish to obtain an impressive MCAT score. I'd suggest taking it Winter/Spring 2013, with cushion time so that scores are released before AMCAS applications can be turned in (You're gonna wanna apply as soon as you get the green light to do so).

As for your GPA, aim for that 3.3, and don't settle for the 3.1. That 0.2 difference in your GPA makes a world of a difference. If you can bring it up to a ~3.5-3.6 with a year or two of post-bacc, your chances will significantly increase, especially if your MCAT score isn't eyebrow-raising. SMP is another viable option, but imho your situation seems salvageable with just a year (or two) of post-bacc.

Upper level Bio courses (Microbio, Genetics, A&P, Cell Bio, Ecology/Evolution, etc.)
Analytical Chemistry/Physical Chemistry
Biochemistry/Statistics

And any other courses that would raise your BCPM.

Members don't see this ad :)
Also check into the SMP-like program on the TCOM campus if you want a better shot at MD schools.

Make no mistake that your academic progress needs a total turn-around and a steep upward sustained grade trend. if your head isn't totally in the game due to distractions by family issues, consider taking time off from school rather than drag your GPA even lower.

Retaking classes you got C's in benefits you more if you're looking at the DO track. If you're looking to apply mainly to allopathic, you're better off taking new courses (for example, retaking Orgo to get an A would replace the C on your DO applications, but not on your MD applications. MD-wise you're better off taking Analytical or Physical chemistry)

Performing stellar in an SMP definitely grants you a leg up over a post-bacc. However SMP's are much more costly (~60k for an otherwise useless masters degree if you don't land an acceptance letter) and gaining admission even to the school hosting the program is still a battle if you're not on par with other applicants.

As for the special master's at TCOM, do you think that would give me a better shot than a traditional, independent post-bacc? If I did a post-bacc at a smaller local university, would you recommend retaking any of my pre-reqs, especially the ones I got C's in?
TCOM is not an AACOMAS DO med school and does not do grade replacement like all the others do. So a retake would be treated the same as a new class.

Compared to other SMP-like programs, the program on the TCOM campus is MUCH more affordable. For Texas med schools, it's my impression (which is code for Get More Opinions) that you can get more mileage out of this program than with spending the same amount of time doing full-time postbac work. But this is only true if you get a high GPA, say 3.7+, which is your same goal with an informal postbac. I do not know the impact of the TCOM-related SMP on MD schools outside Texas. If you prefer to target non-Texas (more expensive) DO schools, then retaking some coursework to boost your sGPA, along with some new science classes would work fine.

Definately re-take those pre-reqs with C's...am I right in thinking you are taking next year w/o coursework and then applying in June?

I reccomend course work somewhere....preferably in a post-bacc or SMP