Texas resident wondering if I should bother applying to out of state medical sc

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RedRaider43

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey there. I am a first time re-applicant. I took the MCAT last year and scored a 26. Very humbling experience. I still made it on the alternate list at one of the Texas public medical schools. I retook the MCAT this spring and made a 34. I feel good about my chances to get in to the Texas public schools... I'm just wondering if I should bother applying to other out of state schools when their tuition is so much higher. Any thoughts? My GPA is 3.86. I have plenty of shadowing, volunteering, and clinical experiences... I researched plenty last summer. My letters should be strong. I believe I have everything taken care of. If you were in my shoes where would you be applying to? Any advice is welcome. Good luck to all of you still hoping to get in as I am. And to all of you who want to retake the MCAT, work harder than ever and get it over with. You can do it.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey there. I am a first time re-applicant. I took the MCAT last year and scored a 26. Very humbling experience. I still made it on the alternate list at one of the Texas public medical schools. I retook the MCAT this spring and made a 34. I feel good about my chances to get in to the Texas public schools... I'm just wondering if I should bother applying to other out of state schools when their tuition is so much higher. Any thoughts? My GPA is 3.86. I have plenty of shadowing, volunteering, and clinical experiences... I researched plenty last summer. My letters should be strong. I believe I have everything taken care of. If you were in my shoes where would you be applying to? Any advice is welcome. Good luck to all of you still hoping to get in as I am. And to all of you who want to retake the MCAT, work harder than ever and get it over with. You can do it.

I think it was your low MCAT score that really hurt you last year. A 34 is definitely a huge difference from a 26, and I'd say you have a excellent shot at all the Texas schools this year, assuming you have already submitted your TMDSAS application for the cycle and you interview well. Honestly, I wouldn't bother applying OOS unless there's a few schools that you really like or have a particular reason to want to go there. Texas has 9 great medical schools and your new MCAT + GPA are average or above average for all of them.

I think it was your low MCAT score that really hurt you last year. A 34 is definitely a huge difference from a 26, and I'd say you have a excellent shot at all the Texas schools this year, assuming you have already submitted your TMDSAS application for the cycle and you interview well. Honestly, I wouldn't bother applying OOS unless there's a few schools that you really like or have a particular reason to want to go there. Texas has 9 great medical schools and your new MCAT + GPA are average or above average for all of them.

Awesome. I appreciate that. I have a friend that has less experience than me and made a 33. He was accepted early admission last year every place except one so that's encouraging. I am particularly interested in OU School of Medicine and Baylor... I know Baylor may be a bit of a reach, but I believe I'm close enough to their average now I might as well try it. Thanks for your response. Plus I've looked around at average MCAT score acceptances around here and I've seen your username, Xiwang, as accepted to multiple schools I believe, so congratulations on that! I just saw you are entering UTMB this year! My best friend is also starting at UTMB this year! His name is Matt for when you come across him. Great guy.

I think you'll be fine for most of the public schools around the mid-west and TX, except for U NM. My impression was that you can gain residency aftert he first year and thus cheaper tuition, at some of these schools. Perhaps other SDNers can chime in ont his?

You're fine for LOTs of good private schools too, and naturally the U Tx system.