Texas Southern University C/O 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bongos

Accepted!
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any one applying here?

Members don't see this ad.

Thinking about it but not sure.

I was thinking about it but everyone keeps telling me that it isn't a good school *shrugs* I don't understand why..... anyone have any input on these comments? I would think that they were creditable since they still have a pharmacy school running.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was thinking about it but everyone keeps telling me that it isn't a good school *shrugs* I don't understand why..... anyone have any input on these comments? I would think that they were creditable since they still have a pharmacy school running.

I can't tell you exactly why people say its not a good school. However, I worked with a former TSU Dean of Pharmacy, and he told me not apply there. He wouldn't elaborate through, but it is possible that he didn't like the administration there. Nevertheless, several people have said the same thing to me.

Yeah....I guess the same information is circling around. Thanks for the information! I appreciate your input.

i've heard the same things about this school but honestly if i get admission, I'll go there. thats all I care

I know I heard quite a few weird stories during my application cycle. This article was posted on August 20, 2010:

http://abclocal.go.com/ktrk/story?section=news/local&id=7621146

HOUSTON (KTRK) -- It's a frustrating time for some students dismissed from the college of pharmacy at Texas Southern University. They say it's unfair, and they voiced their concerns at a board meeting on Friday morning.

While Texas Southern University is holding on to its accreditation, it has been ranked the lowest-performing pharmacy program in Texas, according to US News and World Report. Now, the school's administration is kicking students out of the program to bolster their standings and their prestige.

"Our goal is just to get out," pharmacy student Andrea Anderson said. "We want to be pharmacists. That is our dream."

Dozens of TSU pharmacy students shoved their way into a board of regents meeting, demanding improvements to their program and answers about why some of their classmates were kicked out of school based on a new set of guidelines in the student handbook.

One major complaint: the new rules straddled one school year.

"You can't hold one section of the class to a higher standard than the first section of the class," student Fred Walker said. "That's unethical."

Walker is one of 11 students that got an email, telling him he can't return to school this fall because he failed four classes in one semester.

"They didn't take into account the human factor," he said. "Some of us had extenuating circumstances."

The same thing happened to Beatrice Tembo-Jackson, who was banking on her starting salary once she got her degree and passed the licensing exam.

"I'm a mother of eight," she said. "So I have a family to feed, so I probably have to go back to work, pay back my school loans."

In the last school year, TSU's College of Pharmacy adopted more specific guidelines about dismissing students. It used to be students could be kicked out for demonstrating "poor overall performance."

Now, any student who receives less than a "C" in four or more classes in one semester -- or "exceeds time allowed to complete (their) degree" can get their white coat revoked.

"We have raised our expectation for student performance, and there's some tension around that," TSU's College of Pharmacy Dean Barbara Hayes said.

While the dean of the school says the stricter guidelines will make for a better batch of pharmacists, students, even those in good-standing, are left wondering whether better teachers and more organized classes would better prepare them to pass in the first place.

"Before you consider dismissing someone, you have to first look, 'Did we as a college support this student enough to help them succeed?'" student Gwendolyn Burgess said.

TSU's pharmacy school has endured a history of problems. One student told me she had 19 teachers for one class in one semester, none of which showed up for reviews, or class sometimes. She also said she just can't be expected to excel in that environment.

There is also a lawsuit against the school and the dean because of these student dismissals.

Yikes! Thanks for the info. Yeah, I heard that TSU was a self-teaching school and a lot of their pharmacy students do not know much when going on rotations with other students. I also heard they had some trouble because the dean was spending money on things they weren't supposed to.

Wow! I think now I'm leaning more towards NOT applying there.

Thanks for the news article share.

I considered applying to TSU but ultimately decided against it. I know two people who graduated from the Pharmacy School at TSU, and they said you get out what you put in. There's always going to be people at every Pharmacy School who just want to do the bare minimum in order to graduate. They said the rotation opportunities at TSU are similar to those of UH and some of the professors teach at both institutions.

A clinical pharmacist who precepts Pharmacy residents advised me not to attend TSU if I am interested in pursuing clinical pharmacy because they do not have strong rotations. Also, one of the pharmacists who attended TSU said the school is weak in specialties such as pharmacokinetics. However, if you are interested in just doing community pharmacy then TSU will prepare you for that.

Does anyone know who I can contact at TSU admin to get some advice on picking out my spring classes? I'm a pre-pharm student at UH, and am considering applying to TSU as well. I don't want to leave out any classes because some classes are not accepted unless taken during the spring semester.

Dawnie,
You can call this number 713-313-4345 and ask for a pre-admission meeting. I never do it personally, I went with the requirement list on their website. But I always call them to ask questions and usually they are pretty helpful.
If no one picks up, try again *_*

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank-you seashoreharmony! :D I'm going to call today, hoping to get things straightened before I sign up for spring classes!

Thanks for the news article share.

I considered applying to TSU but ultimately decided against it. I know two people who graduated from the Pharmacy School at TSU, and they said you get out what you put in. There's always going to be people at every Pharmacy School who just want to do the bare minimum in order to graduate. They said the rotation opportunities at TSU are similar to those of UH and some of the professors teach at both institutions.

A clinical pharmacist who precepts Pharmacy residents advised me not to attend TSU if I am interested in pursuing clinical pharmacy because they do not have strong rotations. Also, one of the pharmacists who attended TSU said the school is weak in specialties such as pharmacokinetics. However, if you are interested in just doing community pharmacy then TSU will prepare you for that.

I have visited Tis school..it has the easiest requirements... most students are black...but the majority of black pharmacy students are not black American...they are mostly Nigerian...... There are few Asian... . Did not see any white folks. I wonder why Bill Gates gave them ten of millions.

Last edited:
i have applied to TSU but havent heard anything....did any of u guys received an interview invite? my pcat score is 53 composite and cum gpa is 3.3 and i have some volunteer and work experience in pharmacy...do u think i will get an interview...whn does TSU usually send out interview notification? any answer is appreciated!!!!

i have applied to TSU but havent heard anything....did any of u guys received an interview invite? my pcat score is 53 composite and cum gpa is 3.3 and i have some volunteer and work experience in pharmacy...do u think i will get an interview...whn does TSU usually send out interview notification? any answer is appreciated!!!!

I am invited to interview with them on Feb. 23rd and received the email invite on Feb. 9th. I'm not sure if this is the 1st interview for them. I think you should be okay, I heard from friends attending there that there has been students getting in with lower gpa and pcat scores.

I checked online and it says that my online applications is not complete because they didn't receive one of my transcripts. I did send it to them about three times! Did they just stop updating the site? I still have not gotten an interview and It must mean that they have not processed my application. I've been calling but no one picks up the phone. What should I do?

I checked online and it says that my online applications is not complete because they didn't receive one of my transcripts. I did send it to them about three times! Did they just stop updating the site? I still have not gotten an interview and It must mean that they have not processed my application. I've been calling but no one picks up the phone. What should I do?

Don't worry. I was in the same situation as you. TSU didn't receive any of my transcripts from the schools directly. I called Ms. Davis and she says they are still processing my app regardless of receiving my transcript as long as they are in by the time of your acceptance. I called them about a week before getting an invite.

Don't worry. I was in the same situation as you. TSU didn't receive any of my transcripts from the schools directly. I called Ms. Davis and she says they are still processing my app regardless of receiving my transcript as long as they are in by the time of your acceptance. I called them about a week before getting an invite.
Thanks, that makes me feel a whole lot better. Did you already go for an interview? How was it?

Thanks, that makes me feel a whole lot better. Did you already go for an interview? How was it?

I think the interview when well. Everyone there was really nice as well as ADCOM. However, there were some really tough questions. Did you hear back from them yet?

I applied at the last moment (feb14th) and received an interview that next week. I had a interview for march 2nd. my writing topic was illegal prescription drug use, and a easy math problem. the interview was easy, but the hardest part was waiting. talking to the other applicants helped,but overall enjoyable. Don't be nervous they are not trying to get you!!:D

Tough questions? Like what?:confused:

where do you see pharmacy in 10 years? define ethics? and give examples of unethical behavior. what areas of pharmacy do you know? what is medicare part d? some of the questions were based off of my essay. do you know about the houston cocktail? (they actually said i was the first to know about that.) what are the affects of a patient not receiving all of their antibiotics because they gave some away? stuff like that. i drew from my 4 years of tech experience.

Tough questions? Like what?:confused:

How has the current healthcare administration affect pharmacy practice? What are the technical standards for TSU College of Pharmacy and what it means to you? Why PharmD vs PhD? Also behavioral type questions dealing with ethics & pharmacy.

How has the current healthcare administration affect pharmacy practice? What are the technical standards for TSU College of Pharmacy and what it means to you? Why PharmD vs PhD? Also behavioral type questions dealing with ethics & pharmacy.

Wow, I'm glad I did not have those!

How many people interview? Is it a panel?

It's a panel of 3 and ms.davis
oh and a rumor from a reliable source said there were only about 180 to 200 applicants for about 100 or so spots. so I think everyone gets an interview, but with all rumors, they are just rumors.
I know of a person that got a pcat score of 2 and she is getting an interview but she has ten years of experience.

It's a panel of 3 and ms.davis
oh and a rumor from a reliable source said there were only about 180 to 200 applicants for about 100 or so spots. so I think everyone gets an interview, but with all rumors, they are just rumors.
I know of a person that got a pcat score of 2 and she is getting an interview but she has ten years of experience.

Are you serious? Pcat score of 2?! How can you possibly score a 2?

For those that had an interview on feb 23th, do you know when TSU will mail out acceptance letters?

For those that had an interview on feb 23th, do you know when TSU will mail out acceptance letters?

Not yet. I think it might still be too early since it has been only a little over a week.

How many interview sessions do they have?

I really don't know. But I do know they are still interviewing, I have friends attending there and they said there will be invites this month. Did you receive an invite yet? Also I've seen your posts on UH forum, did you receive an invite from them. I'm still waiting to hear back from them, nothing yet right now. :(

I really don't know. But I do know they are still interviewing, I have friends attending there and they said there will be invites this month. Did you receive an invite yet? Also I've seen your posts on UH forum, did you receive an invite from them. I'm still waiting to hear back from them, nothing yet right now. :(

Nope, no invites form any Houston schools yet :(

people who already interviewed on the 1st or 2nd week, do u knw whn the acceptance letter go out? did ms. davis mention anything about the acceptance letters at the interview? any help is appreciated thnxs!!

I hear Ms. Davis will be sending them out this Friday. Btw, what schools do you all attend that got their interview early. I actually attend TSU now.

I hear Ms. Davis will be sending them out this Friday. Btw, what schools do you all attend that got their interview early. I actually attend TSU now.

about time lol! thanks so much for the inside cause I really want to get an interview for TSU. Last time she emailed me saying I need to take about five class between now and summer which otherwise she would not consider me. But see how it goes 2morrow! Let me know if u guys got interviews!

about time lol! thanks so much for the inside cause I really want to get an interview for TSU. Last time she emailed me saying I need to take about five class between now and summer which otherwise she would not consider me. But see how it goes 2morrow! Let me know if u guys got interviews!

hi, actually I already had my interviews, interviews go on for 3 more weeks I believe, so there is still more time for you. If you are able to take the classes, you should be in good shape. how was your incarnate word interview?

hi, actually I already had my interviews, interviews go on for 3 more weeks I believe, so there is still more time for you. If you are able to take the classes, you should be in good shape. how was your incarnate word interview?

ok good cause I thought this was the last one..I did really well on the UIW interview cause I already knew the int questions and I also went to a catholic school so Im really confident about the interview..but to tell u the truth I don't think I can afford UIW too expensive. Also I already have loans with this economy u ko..

So have u heard back from TSU yet?

people who finished interviews in TSU... did u guys hear anything back regarding acceptance, rejection or wait list? if u have..could u plz post it? thnxs.

people who finished interviews in TSU... did u guys hear anything back regarding acceptance, rejection or wait list? if u have..could u plz post it? thnxs.

Hi, rxking. Letters are supposedly, sent out this week. I hope we hear back soon. Btw, when and how was your interview?

For the people who got an interview with TSU, if you don't mind me asking what was your gpa?