Texas Southern University C/O 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Yeah right..............annoying soul

Members don't see this ad.

No need to defend your school! Only people who can get in to Texas school will go to TSU!

I love the fact that people are trolling this thread and bashing the school when they are basing everything off of what others say.

Different strokes for different folks, but to talk down on someone/something is unnecessary in my opinion. Let's be a bit more professional.

Good luck to all those pursuing!

Members don't see this ad :)
I was going to stay out of this thread, but I wanted to defuse what might turn into a racially-divided conversation:

You need a wake up call.Just cos it is a black school, does not make it a bad school and the staff are very courteous, well mannered than most white schools have been.

While TSU is a historically black college (HBC), I don't think anyone is using race as a point of concern. Rather, TSU has had a few events in the past few years that have been discussed on-and-off on SDN threads; particularly with regards to being placed on probation and dismissed students complaining to the local news.

Regarding probation concerns, the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools (SACS) has placed TSU on probation status multiple times. I do want to note that SACS' purview is more in the realm of administrative transparency and finances. Probation from the SACS raises concerns about the infrastructure and personnel management, but it does not make a direct comment on the education provided. I've provided a few links below regarding the SACS probation at TSU.

Houston Chronicle article: http://www.chron.com/news/houston-texas/article/Finances-land-TSU-back-on-probation-1738124.php
Student reaction: http://abclocal.go.com/ktrk/story?section=news/education&id=7162268
TSU FAQ addressing the issue: http://www.tsu.edu/pdffiles/about/faq.pdf

Also notable is that TSU has maintained its ACPE accreditation (the accrediting body for pharmacy schools) during this entire period. You can view TSU's accreditation history with the following: https://www.acpe-accredit.org/shared_info/accredHistory.asp?degreeid=35&entity=89 . On one hand, it's imminently relevant that TSU has maintained its ACPE accreditation; on the other hand, SACS probation isn't very common, so there are logical concerns as to how that came about.

Aside from accreditation concerns, there was a Houston news article about disgruntled students at TSU: http://abclocal.go.com/ktrk/story?section=news/local&id=7621146 . The article doesn't paint a very good light on the situation, but its perspective might be biased depending on which students the news reporter spoke to. From the news article, the new standards for minimum academic standing appear reasonable (at least to me.) However, the point of contention appears to be how those new standards were implemented and applied to current students.

Altogether, I think the recent history at TSU would give me pause. These seem like legitimate concerns regarding the quality of education at TSU, and I think it's important to make prospective pharmacy students aware of these issues. However, I do feel that some people on this thread are being a little excessive, to the point where they're not simply informing but also bashing the school.

In either case, it might be a little moot at this point considering how late we are in the admissions process. To everyone who is joining the newest class at TSU, while I imagine that it may be rough at times, every school is going to have its quirks (perhaps some more than others). Just work hard, spend your time studying, and realize that you're entering pharmacy school (so put on your game face).

Best of wishes.

--Garfield3d

It's absolutely foolish to look down on a Pharm.D from a TSU. They make the same money, earn same initials and have an equal respect in the profession. Yes, they had hard times in the past but now they are sailing well... The graduating class from previous some years had NAPLEX scores beyond 95 percentile. The only reason why others look down on TSU is that they go to a bit more reputed school and obviously, it is one way to express cockiness..

I think people should maintain some form of consistency, opinions on schools shouldn't change because they are offered interviews. I believe earlier you said "
I concur, LOL I wonder how they still keep up with a positive accreditation status..." when the discussion was on the disorganization of the program. But when its repeated you want to call it cockiness because now in April they are performing interviews, after students had to basically stalk them to get their applications processed.

Its called bashing when someone states the bad things but when something is over glorified ignoring real problems thats fine. And what does this have to do with being a black school!? No one said anything race related. I am black and they are disorganized, because its a black school I shouldn't say its disorganized? If so then you have some issues, being black does not exempt me or any other black person from criticism in response to their actions.

About the Directors of Pharmacy blacklisting TSU grads, its true I know several, around 7, who prefer not to have TSU grads. I have worked in the pharmaceutical industry so its not "an empty drum" I dont make the decision, the pharmacist themselves do, based on their personal experiences.

Lets face it the world is unfair, lets not act oblivious to it. THERE ARE SALARY DIFFERENCES BASED ON SCHOOLS YOU ATTEND. We all wish it wasn't so but it is and living your life in denial that it exist is silly. TSU is not as good a pharmacy school as the others in Texas, thats the truth. Placement in residencies are more difficult because its not a highly regarded school.

Like garfield said TSU has had bad press, and its not just for the pharmacy school. The university has been on probation several times with the accreditation boards. It just so happens that TSU is a black school, but that doesn't mean people have problems with it because its a black school. Unfortunately every year there is a TSU investigation on the news, students getting kicked out, financial aid messed up and all kinds of crazy crap. The schools administration creates its own bad rep, that rubs off on its students.

Regardless of what school you go to you have to pass the NAPLEX, but I would rather go to a more organized school. The TSU application process in comparison to the rest was atrocious and thats a simple fact. I spent 20 minutes on a call translating a transcript, no one else requires students to hold their hand through the processing of their application.

BTW, some of the press is justified. I believe TSU was justified in kicking out students who failed, but it is their fault for not making their rules clear. We all want to be pharmacists, but we all need to know our limitations. One of the students said "there are human factors' but the students should also realize the school is still a school. Leave of absences are allowed because things happen. Honestly I dont want a pharmacist that takes 6 yrs for their pharm d because they failed half of their classes. For the decision to remove students who failed excessively i give TSU kudos. I think TSU has recognized its flaws and it is working on it and the reason they removed the students was to increase their ranking and reputation. Unfortunately it will take a lot of time and thats time I dont have. I live and own a house in Houston, I would love more than anything if TSU was a better school, because thats one more option. When it comes down to it its not bashing if its a statement of a fact, you just dont like what is said.

BTW, some of the press is justified. I believe TSU was justified in kicking out students who failed, but it is their fault for not making their rules clear. We all want to be pharmacists, but we all need to know our limitations. One of the students said "there are human factors' but the students should also realize the school is still a school. Leave of absences are allowed because things happen. Honestly I dont want a pharmacist that takes 6 yrs for their pharm d because they failed half of their classes. For the decision to remove students who failed excessively i give TSU kudos. I think TSU has recognized its flaws and it is working on it and the reason they removed the students was to increase their ranking and reputation. Unfortunately it will take a lot of time and thats time I dont have. I live and own a house in Houston, I would love more than anything if TSU was a better school, because thats one more option. When it comes down to it its not bashing if its a statement of a fact, you just dont like what is said.
DUDE RELAX!!!! you don't have to go there man. I mean, WOW if you don't like TSU don't go. Just leave it alone...

I don't think TSU gets blacklisted per se, but my pharmacist and others I know will interviewed the TSU candidates out of formality but never really consider them for the job. I applied to TSU this year but still have not heard any response from them, while I have interviewed and heard replies back from every other school in TX and out of state. Their late admission process I believe hurts TSU as "better" students have chosen other schools by then while not giving this school an opportunity.

exactly! Doing something for formality without real consideration is basically blacklisting. Take a look at the threads for the other schools, the application process at TSU needs to be seriously revamped. You might not want to hear it, but seriously understand what hqn and I have said. I think its better you know how people see things rather than be surprised and I am not saying dont attend TSU. I am saying go knowing what obstacles you have ahead.

exactly! Doing something for formality without real consideration is basically blacklisting. Take a look at the threads for the other schools, the application process at TSU needs to be seriously revamped. You might not want to hear it, but seriously understand what hqn and I have said. I think its better you know how people see things rather than be surprised and I am not saying dont attend TSU. I am saying go knowing what obstacles you have ahead.
wait, are you saying TSU pharmacy graduates are not receiving job offers??

Thats what we are saying. I work with compounding pharmacies, and retail pharmacists and TSU grads are just not valued as highly as others. I guess you can say you get less offers, and have a much narrower scope.

Members don't see this ad :)
The pharmacy filled is becoming much more competitive, there are more schools than ever and much more saturation in the field. Due to this, the schools we choose to attend will make a difference in maybe how fast we find a job, how much we get paid, or what kind of jobs you can get.

Thats what we are saying. I work with compounding pharmacies, and retail pharmacists and TSU grads are just not valued as highly as others. I guess you can say you get less offers, and have a much narrower scope.
You know that's complete BS right? You should know better than that. I know many TSU pharm grads with well paying jobs. A graduate that is board certified from TSU is just as competent as one who graduated from another school. Please don't be so shallow....please

You know that's complete BS right? You should know better than that. I know many TSU pharm grads with well paying jobs. A graduate that is board certified from TSU is just as competent as one who graduated from another school. Please don't be so shallow....please

Its not shallow its life, no one says you wont get a job. Its just harder.

Do you happen to know what percentage of TSU students successfully gain a PGY1. Does TSU even talk about this?

In fact, a good amount of TSU pharmacy graduates start their own business and open up their own pharmacies and hire pharmacy graduates from other schools. I know, I worked and volunteered for many in the Houston area. Don't be so quick to judge...

OK, but big time retail is harder and thats a fact. We are talking about what non TSU grads do. In a walgreens, kroger, cvs who do you pick to pay the same amount. UT or TSU, A&M or TSU. UH or TSU, with everything the same (as in personalities, professionalism) TSU will lose because its not as good as the others. In the business world we want more bang for the buck. A&M is a perfect example of what hard work can do. In 2008 A&M was ranked 78th and in 2012 they are like 47 now. That is because of the hard work of the administration.

No one is saying, TSU grads wont get jobs, wont open businesses. Honestly answer me chinamancan If you got into TSU and UH and tuition was the same which one would you go to and why?

Although there are many clinical pharmacists from tsu, most enter retail. If I had said something earlier negative about TSU, that would be the system: they are very disorganized, I agree but a degree is a degree. I think majority of Houston pharmacists are from either UH or TSU. Advantages of TSU are that it's cheap, closer to the city plus med center rotations etc. What I meant was that they are often looked down upon because of their past but now they are improving. That change can be seen only after a few years. But I seriously doubt whether grads would be shown partiality when it comes to pay, job offers, etc..

OK, but big time retail is harder and thats a fact. We are talking about what non TSU grads do. In a walgreens, kroger, cvs who do you pick to pay the same amount. UT or TSU, A&M or TSU. UH or TSU, with everything the same (as in personalities, professionalism) TSU will lose because its not as good as the others. In the business world we want more bang for the buck. A&M is a perfect example of what hard work can do. In 2008 A&M was ranked 78th and in 2012 they are like 47 now. That is because of the hard work of the administration.
I am 100% certain you don't know what you're talking about. A pharmacist with a LICENSE is the only thing that matters in reguards to salary. A UT grad and a TSU grad will receive the same salary. Years of experience might be the only determining factor in salary discrepancies between the two. I can believe you actually believe that? If someone TOLD you that you were extremely misinformed.

What I am saying is that I have seen partiality in pay, in different pharmacies. Its not an assumption its what I have seen, I go to conferences and hear people talk and partiality is out there.

I am 100% certain you don't know what you're talking about. A pharmacist with a LICENSE is the only thing that matters in reguards to salary. A UT grad and a TSU grad will receive the same salary. Years of experience might be the only determining factor in salary discrepancies between the two. I can believe you actually believe that? If someone TOLD you that you were extremely misinformed.

Seriously thats naive. There are pay ranges, even with people that hold the same license. It is like this in every career, pharmacy is not unique and exempt from this. In residencies pays are fixed, and some clinical pharmacists are but in everything else a specific degree has bargaining power. I suppose a Harvard degree and UT degree are the same, lets not blur facts of reality.

Last edited:
Although there are many clinical pharmacists from tsu, most enter retail. If I had said something earlier negative about TSU, that would be the system: they are very disorganized, I agree but a degree is a degree. I think majority of Houston pharmacists are from either UH or TSU. Advantages of TSU are that it's cheap, closer to the city plus med center rotations etc. What I meant was that they are often looked down upon because of their past but now they are improving. That change can be seen only after a few years. But I seriously doubt whether grads would be shown partiality when it comes to pay, job offers, etc..

But if UH and TSU where the same price, what would you pick. What percent of TSU grads place into residency programs? Also take note that I have not said anything about what they teach, how they teach or if you will fail/pass your naplex. All I have talked about is the perception of the school and the implication of that on job placement, and salary.

But if UH and TSU where the same price, what would you pick. What percent of TSU grads place into residency programs? Also take note that I have not said anything about what they teach, how they teach or if you will fail/pass your naplex. All I have talked about is the perception of the school and the implication of that on job placement, and salary.

UH, obviously. But if one can't get into UH and wants to stay in Houston, TSU would be the only decent option. But hey, thanks for sharing your views!

Thats all I am saying. I dont like when people act like its the same, its not. I have never said a TSU grad is not qualified to practice I am just saying the TSU need to up its game just like A&M did. TSU is in Houston, the largest medical center in the nation. There are so many opportunities for its students because its located in Houston. People travel from all over the world to seek treatment in Houston, its a shame that TSU can't take advantage of this and use it to propel itself forward. TSUs problems are cultural, its the culture of the university and the COP thats holding them down in general TSU needs to get its act together.

I think the admissions process should be a starting point. If students apply and don't have drama they will be more likely to attend. The drama of the application process feeds into the perception of the school and scares people away.

I finally received an interview invite! It's for April 10th. Share what you would like to please. This is my first pharmacy school interview ever. Wish me luck! :)

I'm sure everyone has some sort of formed opinion about TSU already. My friends who attend there say that things could be better, and that they are continually working to improve.

About pharmacists not being given jobs due to where they graduated - I can't speak on behalf of that. What I do know is that I have worked for Walgreens and Texas Children's Hospital; both have leaders from TSU. We had a few recent hires that came from TSU as well. The interview is a great way to show what type of person you are and how capable you are of performing the job tasks at hand.

Regardless of where I go, I will represent them to the best of my ability and do what I can to make a difference. Everyone has their reasons for going to a particular school.

The facts have been laid out. I think it's time for everyone to hold their opinions to themselves, as it has been clearly expressed in previous posts.

Let us get back on topic here. :)

I finally received an interview invite! It's for April 10th. Share what you would like to please. This is my first pharmacy school interview ever. Wish me luck! :)

Congratulations! Good luck with your interview! Spoke with Ms. Davis recently about some missing courses, so hopefully I will hear back soon :xf:

Has anyone recieved admission letters yet?
Forget about this nonsense talk about how good or bad tsu is. Personally i dont give a crap, i am just trying to achieve my goal of becoming a pharmacist. So who has recieved admission, please let us know?

This thread is set up to encourage prospective pharmacist and not to bash tsu. So all u bashers (ws 2016) can shove a can of coke up ur ass and stay away from this thread

Wow, good job! Your going to be a great pharmacist if you cant have arguments without turning to an ignorant belligerent person. Lets all imagine 2015 pharmd's interaction with patients, you will be an embarrassment to whatever school you attend. If you go to TSU or currently go to TSU please try to not talk in public, because people like you saying "shove a can up your a**" perpetuate bad stereotypes. Honestly you should be completely ashamed of yourself.

Last edited:
Nobody has received admissions yet and i highly doubt anyone will until mid april or may. Last year they mailed acceptance letters and did not send emails out so it will definitely be a while.

I have remained quiet the last couple of weeks as I have read the various responses in this thread and I must say that I'm quite shocked at the bantor and rhetoric being displayed by future professionals (soon to be pharmacists). I can't speak for everyone but I will speak from personal experience...I have a bachelors degree from one of the most prestigious universities in the COUNTRY and at the end of the day, I will be looked at no different than someone who graduated from a smaller, less recognized institution. Those of you who have only had negative things to say about TSU, either have an inferiority complex OR you have been so misguided as to believe that a name is everything...but this is a fallicy. When I applied to grad school, admissions looked at my GRE score and my gpa...sure I poke my chest out a little bit when I tell people where I went, but the only thing I had to show for it was a piece of paper that cost me 150k. At the end of the day, we all ended up in the same place...

As for professional degrees, the name only matters as much as you want it to. As with medical, dental, law or vet school...everyone takes the same licensing exam in order to establish a baseline of competence and begin working in their respective field. When I decided to apply to pharmacy school, I had both the PCAT and GPA to confidently apply anywhere in the state....but I chose TSU for the cost and the fact that I took the Jan PCAT (which is only accepted by TSU in most cases). While there may be areas where TSU needs to improve, to bash a school is a display of naivety that can only be dispelled with time and an open mind. As someone who has held supervisory type positions, I can tell you that the interview is more important than the name of the school...in most instances, I used the interview as a means to dispell any preconcieved notion I may have had about a certain school or it's graduates. A graduate from a "top notch" pharmacy school can hurt their chances at obtaining the position they want as much as a graduate from a less recognized pharmacy program can bolster theirs.

In short, everyone here had to work hard to get into pharmacy school and anyone who looks down on an institution or its graduates has problems much deeper that cannot be addressed on such a forum. Each and every one of you should go where you so choose, but to walk around with your head in the clouds or to rest your laurels on a name will only cause you to embrace a false sense of security that does not exist in this job market. Personally, I will take pride in the fact that I became a pharmacist and I will laugh at anyone who attemps to belittle where my degree came from.

I have remained quiet the last couple of weeks as I have read the various responses in this thread and I must say that I'm quite shocked at the bantor and rhetoric being displayed by future professionals (soon to be pharmacists). I can't speak for everyone but I will speak from personal experience...I have a bachelors degree from one of the most prestigious universities in the COUNTRY and at the end of the day, I will be looked at no different than someone who graduated from a smaller, less recognized institution. Those of you who have only had negative things to say about TSU, either have an inferiority complex OR you have been so misguided as to believe that a name is everything...but this is a fallicy. When I applied to grad school, admissions looked at my GRE score and my gpa...sure I poke my chest out a little bit when I tell people where I went, but the only thing I had to show for it was a piece of paper that cost me 150k. At the end of the day, we all ended up in the same place...

As for professional degrees, the name only matters as much as you want it to. As with medical, dental, law or vet school...everyone takes the same licensing exam in order to establish a baseline of competence and begin working in their respective field. When I decided to apply to pharmacy school, I had both the PCAT and GPA to confidently apply anywhere in the state....but I chose TSU for the cost and the fact that I took the Jan PCAT (which is only accepted by TSU in most cases). While there may be areas where TSU needs to improve, to bash a school is a display of naivety that can only be dispelled with time and an open mind. As someone who has held supervisory type positions, I can tell you that the interview is more important than the name of the school...in most instances, I used the interview as a means to dispell any preconcieved notion I may have had about a certain school or it's graduates. A graduate from a "top notch" pharmacy school can hurt their chances at obtaining the position they want as much as a graduate from a less recognized pharmacy program can bolster theirs.

In short, everyone here had to work hard to get into pharmacy school and anyone who looks down on an institution or its graduates has problems much deeper that cannot be addressed on such a forum. Each and every one of you should go where you so choose, but to walk around with your head in the clouds or to rest your laurels on a name will only cause you to embrace a false sense of security that does not exist in this job market. Personally, I will take pride in the fact that I became a pharmacist and I will laugh at anyone who attemps to belittle where my degree came from.
I have been waiting so long too and dont even want to get back to this forum cuz it doesnt seem the way it is supposed to be: helping students to do well at the interview or more prepared to get in.
And thanks for the comment.

At this point as stated earlier this topic is like beating a dead horse. There will be people that care about where u get your degree from and people that dont. We all decide where we want to go and for whatever reason. I never stated an absolute, I know where I want to end up, and I know that the people deciding if I end up there care. I think being naive is when you believe the world is perfect and its not. I have never said don't go to TSU because it sux, I am just sharing first hand experience. What people should realize is I am not sharing my opinion but giving an account of what I see everytime the company I work for hires. In companies I have worked for people were routinely offered different amounts based on where they attended, of course you can bargain upward but the point is you are behind right out of the gate. I want to end up in that company and with a higher starting pay so I will be attending UT. We all know what we want to accomplish so we will all make decisions that will help us achieve our goals. Like you said there are preconcieved notions, taking offense to me stating a reality is an inferiority complex in itself. Being pissy and taking things as a personal is just ridiculous and a waste of time.

The only opinion I have shared is in regards to the terrible adissmissions process and how it made me question what going to school would be like. There is no point in people getting pissy/offended.

If someone has a question they can just ask, people will answer, not asking is a loss. Lets close the topic, i think both points of view have been expressed regardless of if we agree or not

Last edited:
Well stated, Rx1981.

We all share the same path to pharmacy. As future professionals, never look down on others. I came from a management background as well and I can say the interview is extremely important. Each employer looks at different aspects, and although you are right, ws2016, you are also incorrect at the same time. Both point of views or opinions are valid, but you have to understand that not everyone is undergoing similar circumstances.

I, for one, have a unique one, and am fortunate to have opportunities come. I am grateful for being able to make this pursuit, and will represent those who give me a chance to continue toward my goal of becoming a pharmacist.

Good luck to everyone. I truly believe that if you have the passion, patience, and remain positive, you will become a great pharmacist.

Still waiting!

Well stated, Rx1981.

We all share the same path to pharmacy. As future professionals, never look down on others. I came from a management background as well and I can say the interview is extremely important. Each employer looks at different aspects, and although you are right, ws2016, you are also incorrect at the same time. Both point of views or opinions are valid, but you have to understand that not everyone is undergoing similar circumstances.

I, for one, have a unique one, and am fortunate to have opportunities come. I am grateful for being able to make this pursuit, and will represent those who give me a chance to continue toward my goal of becoming a pharmacist.

Good luck to everyone. I truly believe that if you have the passion, patience, and remain positive, you will become a great pharmacist.

Still waiting!

I spoke to Mrs.Davis yesterday and she said that the first round of letters should go out next week. The plan was for them to go out this week, but due to the holiday shortened week...it's not likely. :thumbdown:

I spoke to Mrs.Davis yesterday and she said that the first round of letters should go out next week. The plan was for them to go out this week, but due to the holiday shortened week...it's not likely. :thumbdown:

Waiting for interview invite... :oops:

I was accepted to South College , TN and Lecom FL . However, I still want to wait for TSU cuz I dont want to leave town and far away from my family. Just had an interview yesterday. It went good. Hope to get good new next week.
Anyone had interview yesterday?

Well stated, Rx1981.

Still waiting!

Yes and yes . Be patient, passionate, good heart, always go beyond our professional judgement... Rule are just rule , its dead. We are human being so lovely living lol so we can change and control things in a way we want.. A better life ... Belief!

Thats right. I am working for Walgreens. And my district supervisor graduated from TSU as well.

It could be different field of job we are talking about , but not all. Passing the NAPLEX is important.

Thats right. I am working for Walgreens. And my district supervisor graduated from TSU as well.

It could be different field of job we are talking about , but not all. Passing the NAPLEX is important.

I work for Walgreens also. To the person who said TSU grads have a hard time getting jobs, google Kermit Crawford. Also many of the pharmacists I work with are TSU grads and the starting pay rate was the same for them as it was for a UT grad. So I don't know what field u work in but it definitely is not retail. And I know two TSU grads that went on to do residences and are currently working in other areas of pharmacy. Just FYI.

I work for Walgreens also. To the person who said TSU grads have a hard time getting jobs, google Kermit Crawford. Also many of the pharmacists I work with are TSU grads and the starting pay rate was the same for them as it was for a UT grad. So I don't know what field u work in but it definitely is not retail. And I know two TSU grads that went on to do residences and are currently working in other areas of pharmacy. Just FYI.

:thumbup:

Gonna keep this going?

1umad.gif