Texas Tech 2012 Application cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
What I was told:

You get the email and merlin updated at once. Hope this helps

What I heard: Either check your email or Merlin obsessively. Not both.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I've checked 4 times since 7pm CST, which makes no sense. Haha, this week will be better when it's over!
When I got mine, I had stopped checking my e-mail around 4:30. I figured they were off at 5 and I should wait for the next day. Before class that night I was talking to some classmates about waiting to hear back, and just had the urge to pull up my e-mail on my cell. Lo and behold, the email had arrived at 7:15pm (5 minutes before I checked). I immediately ran into the lab "Oh my god! I got in!"

My classmates have their sights set on Tech, but are considering other schools too. I hope they choose Tech, because they're both super sweet/fun girls, and I'd love to have them in Amarillo.

When I got mine, I had stopped checking my e-mail around 4:30. I figured they were off at 5 and I should wait for the next day. Before class that night I was talking to some classmates about waiting to hear back, and just had the urge to pull up my e-mail on my cell. Lo and behold, the email had arrived at 7:15pm (5 minutes before I checked). I immediately ran into the lab "Oh my god! I got in!"

My classmates have their sights set on Tech, but are considering other schools too. I hope they choose Tech, because they're both super sweet/fun girls, and I'd love to have them in Amarillo.

Honestly, if I get in, I'm not certain I'll go. In fact, today I just got my first acceptance at Univ. of Maryland, and this weekend I'm interviewing at Minnesota. It will be a tough decision. Especially because I still have no idea where I'm considered a resident, TX or CA.

Tech was the only school I applied to. I've been stalking these forums for over 2 years now. I was going to apply to UT too, but over the time I've spent doing pre-reqs, I came to the decision that I wanted Tech more than UT.

I decided that if I did not get in this year, I would just keep taking classes and reapply next year, but I'd also apply to University of Idaho (I'm from WA). I'm glad I got in though, and I'm so much closer to my goals! I think the only degrees in my family (of well over 100 cousins) so far are GEDs, a few high school diplomas, and maybe 1 CNA. Sadly, by the time I graduate, it's pretty likely that I'll be out of grandparents, but at least they had a grandkid who got this far!

Tech was the only school I applied to. I've been stalking these forums for over 2 years now. I was going to apply to UT too, but over the time I've spent doing pre-reqs, I came to the decision that I wanted Tech more than UT.

I decided that if I did not get in this year, I would just keep taking classes and reapply next year, but I'd also apply to University of Idaho (I'm from WA). I'm glad I got in though, and I'm so much closer to my goals! I think the only degrees in my family (of well over 100 cousins) so far are GEDs, a few high school diplomas, and maybe 1 CNA. Sadly, by the time I graduate, it's pretty likely that I'll be out of grandparents, but at least they had a grandkid who got this far!

I bet your family is incredibly proud :) You have done well, and you will continue to do so! Best of luck!

hopefully tomorrow is the day for beginning of fev interviews!! ive been checking my e-mail profusely! ahh! :scared:

Hi romylove, I was curious, how did you decide that you wanted Tech more than UT?

Hey guys does anyone know when the AdComm is meeting? I interviewed on 2/15. Anxiously awaiting................

Has anyone heard anything yet from feb 1&8 interviews? Im getting kind of cranky from thr suspense...:mad:

Has anyone heard anything yet from feb 1&8 interviews? Im getting kind of cranky from thr suspense...:mad:

You'll have to be a little more patient with them. They told us about our decisions 6 days after the date they told us we were suppose to hear back. They probably have a lot of apps to look over. Call Mike Schwettmann if you have any questions. He knows it all.

a whole another week? wish i knew that in advance instead of putting so much emphasis on this week.... & hopefully theyre not looking over that critical thinking test i didnt finish!

Members don't see this ad :)
a whole another week? wish i knew that in advance instead of putting so much emphasis on this week.... & hopefully theyre not looking over that critical thinking test i didnt finish!

Pharm boi, not sure if you read my previous posts but I put all As down for that test and got in........relax LOL. its only a test to determine your learning style and NOT graded on how much you get correct. :thumbup:

It COULD be different for you guys. All Im saying is for jan interviewees, they told us about 6 to 7 days late.

I didn't finish either :). I took it leisurely. I would finish only if they had given me another half an hour or more :). Someone put all A's, so statistically he/she only got 1/5 of them and still got in! Don't worry too much.

Last edited:
You'll have to be a little more patient with them. They told us about our decisions 6 days after the date they told us we were suppose to hear back. They probably have a lot of apps to look over. Call Mike Schwettmann if you have any questions. He knows it all.

Lol! Us be patient? Idk what that is like.

Sent from my Galaxy S 3 using SDN Mobile

Just got my interview invite, a bit late, but I'll take it happily. :)

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S3 using SDN Mobile.

even though feb is the shortest month on the calendar, it sure feels like the longest month this year!

Just got my interview invite, a bit late, but I'll take it happily. :)

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S3 using SDN Mobile.
That's great news! Hope you'll enjoy it like I did with mine. (I'm the guy that had the conversation with you when we exited the UT interview, BTW.:))

Random question: awhile back I found a page on the website that states estimated expenses p1-p4 but I can't seem to find it anymore. If anyone knows what I am talking about, do you mind sending me the link? Btw I have tried to find with no luck. Thanks!

That's great news! Hope you'll enjoy it like I did with mine. (I'm the guy that had the conversation with you when we exited the UT interview, BTW.:))

Oh Hey! :)

Had my interview yesterday in amarillo. They said the admissions committee was going to meet the first or second week of march to discuss the interviewees from yesterday. Not sure if that includes anyone who interviewed before the 22nd or not. Now the wait begins...

Last edited:
Good Luck to Everyone waiting or about to be interviewed!

Whoever wishes to go to Abilene, I will see you in the upcoming school year!

:">

I'm trying to decide between UH, Tech, UT, and UNT. Anybody in the same boat as me? Could you list pros/cons for those schools?

Is that 6 days from the beginning or the end of the time frame they quoted for when y'all would hear back?

Mike Schwettmann told my group (Amarillo, Feb. 1st) that we could expect to hear back from Feb. 20th-25th.. So I'm trying to figure out where I need to tack on the extra time lol. I'm wondering how likely it is that the Feb. 1st/8th interviewees will hear back this week... The suspense is killing me!

Crossing my fingers for Monday!

Is that 6 days from the beginning or the end of the time frame they quoted for when y'all would hear back?

Mike Schwettmann told my group (Amarillo, Feb. 1st) that we could expect to hear back from Feb. 20th-25th.. So I'm trying to figure out where I need to tack on the extra time lol. I'm wondering how likely it is that the Feb. 1st/8th interviewees will hear back this week... The suspense is killing me!

Crossing my fingers for Monday!

they gave us a sheet of paper with a timeline on it. I interviwed on 1/25. The time said everyone who interviewed on 1/25 will get decisions on 2/6. We heard back on 2/12. so 6 days past the date we were SUPPOSE to hear back

we did not get a time frame. we got a specific day

Last edited:
they gave us a sheet of paper with a timeline on it. I interviwed on 1/25. The time said everyone who interviewed on 1/25 will get decisions on 2/6. We heard back on 2/12. so 6 days past the date we were SUPPOSE to hear back

we did not get a time frame. we got a specific day

No way! I'm frantically searching through my folders looking for this elusive timeline that you speak of lol. Did you interview in Abilene or Amarillo? What does the paper that the timeline is on look like?

I swear, the AdComs need to start live tweeting their meetings!!!
@TTUHSCAdCom: "Made some decisions today! Won't send out the offers for another couple of days to build suspense, LOL! #trollingsohard"

But seriously, it has been almost 24ish days.. tomorrow will be the last day of the time frame we were quoted..there's only so much Ben & Jerry's and Cheetos puffs my body can stand from stress eating!!

Are there any folks going to be attending at Abilene in the fall? I'm looking to find a roommate and see about getting more information on where a lot of pharmacy students are living in Abilene! Any information is greatly appreciated!!:)

great there is going to be a blizzard in Amarillo tomorrow! Seriously Murphy you need to back off! I'm dying here :annoyed: ..................... I wonder if this is a prophecy? I've already had a dream that I didn't get in............... God I just really need to find out already

Hi romylove, I was curious, how did you decide that you wanted Tech more than UT?
I've been thinking about this for a while, and it's kind of weird. I went by the SOP at UT about a year ago and walked around the building (it was a weekend, almost no one there). I didn't really feel any different about wanting to go there after I visited.

I stalked the forums here for a long time, and I guess I just liked the vibe off of the Tech threads more. Tech definitely has more of a family vibe to it, and it's kind of infectious.

No way! I'm frantically searching through my folders looking for this elusive timeline that you speak of lol. Did you interview in Abilene or Amarillo? What does the paper that the timeline is on look like?

I swear, the AdComs need to start live tweeting their meetings!!!
@TTUHSCAdCom: "Made some decisions today! Won't send out the offers for another couple of days to build suspense, LOL! #trollingsohard"

But seriously, it has been almost 24ish days.. tomorrow will be the last day of the time frame we were quoted..there's only so much Ben & Jerry's and Cheetos puffs my body can stand from stress eating!!

The time line is on a half sheet of paper. it should have been in your folder/packet. I interviewed in Amarillo. There was also a "post interview" sheet they gave us with all the dates we were suppose to hear back from. LOL at the twitter post! Good luck!

The time line is on a half sheet of paper. it should have been in your folder/packet. I interviewed in Amarillo. There was also a "post interview" sheet they gave us with all the dates we were suppose to hear back from. LOL at the twitter post! Good luck!

I didn't get one of those in my packet.

Has anyone that interviewed on Feb 1/8 heard anything yet?

I didn't get one of those in my packet.

Has anyone that interviewed on Feb 1/8 heard anything yet?

Haven't heard a thing yet.
There was a huge blizzard there two nights ago. My friend who's a P2 in Amarillo said the national guard had to come in and help get people out of their cars who were stranded on the roads. By the looks/sounds of it, the school was closed yesterday and today and possibly tomorrow as well.

Not pleased with Mother Nature's timing.. -__-

Front page of the Austin American Statesman says Amarillo got 19 inches of snow! Considering that I'm from south texas which has only had snow once in my life time, Amarillo isn't sounding so appealing :what:

Front page of the Austin American Statesman says Amarillo got 19 inches of snow! Considering that I'm from south texas which has only had snow once in my life time, Amarillo isn't sounding so appealing :what:

I'm from south texas too! I'm not used to the cold :( I'm wearing sandals and shorts right now where I live. I don't really care for the Amarillo location itself but on the other hand I love the school and was very impressed by everything at the interview. If I get accepted I'll just have to get used to the cold :/

I'm trying to decide between UH, Tech, UT, and UNT. Anybody in the same boat as me? Could you list pros/cons for those schools?

If you were accepted to all of these schools, why would UNT be even a distant consideration for you? They're untested, new, and are not even accredited. UT is #4 in the nation, UH offers an amazing clinical environment, and Tech offers an outstanding family like environment and rigorous education. UNT offers uncertainty and a lot of first year kinks...

If you were accepted to all of these schools, why would UNT be even a distant consideration for you? They're untested, new, and are not even accredited. UT is #4 in the nation, UH offers an amazing clinical environment, and Tech offers an outstanding family like environment and rigorous education. UNT offers uncertainty and a lot of first year kinks...

What about A&M. Any thoughts? :)

Amarillo is not cold. :p

Last edited:
I'm from south texas too! I'm not used to the cold :( I'm wearing sandals and shorts right now where I live. I don't really care for the Amarillo location itself but on the other hand I love the school and was very impressed by everything at the interview. If I get accepted I'll just have to get used to the cold :/

My sentiments exactly!

Ahh, take it from someone who grew up in NY. Amarillo is not cold. :p
It is actually the one thing I miss the most from living up there though, snow. :rolleyes:

It may not be cold for you but it is for me. I remember still being in shorts for Christmas & anytime it got below 70 everyone was busting out big thick coats. Lol!

Out of all the tx schools id only consider, tech amarillo, UT, and incarnate word. The rest are ok at best.

Incarnate Word? Seriously? Over UH?

ive talked to a lot of pharmacist about ut vs. incarnate word vs. uh and they say ut is obviously the best but if you decide between incarnate and uh they both have teaching styles that arent really praised in the pharmacy world, UH having the worst style.

ive talked to a lot of pharmacist about ut vs. incarnate word vs. uh and they say ut is obviously the best but if you decide between incarnate and uh they both have teaching styles that arent really praised in the pharmacy world, UH having the worst style.
Do they say anything about Tech?

Exactly what style is that?

All of these comparisons are made by using the most relative, ambiguous, and vague terms ever.
What defines a school as being the "best" or "worst" is not the same to every person on here.
Use more specific details to back up why a school may be better or worse than another.

I don't know if this matters at all, but I've worked with a pharmacist who recently graduated from Incarnate Word. She strongly disliked their program because their learning style is very didactic and powerpoint-based. There wasn't enough experiential training and it "wasn't a challenge" for her.

UT may be the "best" according to the rankings, but going to the school doesn't make you a better, more-prepared/qualified pharmacist than if you were to go somewhere like Tech, or U of H...

UT is a good school to go to if you want to go into research or teaching. Most of the students end up doing retail or hospital pharmacy anyway, but UT doesn't provide nearly as much experiential training as Tech or U of H does. Also, UTCOP is in the middle of an undergraduate campus. There are a few hospitals around here (I'm at UT for undergrad...), but they're not close to the pharmacy school so you don't get that connection with other health care professionals like you would with Texas Tech - this is one of the long list of reasons why I am choosing Tech over UT.

U of H has a lot to offer, especially since the P3s and P4s go to school in the largest medical center in the world... You just can't beat that kind of exposure to different avenues of health care professions.
Only drawbacks I can see with U of H is the traffic and the hot/humid weather 300 days out of the year.
Everyone knows about U of H, so it won't be that difficult to get a job in Texas if you go to U of H as opposed to any of the other schools in Texas.

A few reasons why I feel like the pharmacy program at Texas Tech is better than that of UT:
* The curriculum is adjusted and tweaked every year in order to give the students the best, most current education in pharmacy. Although UT changed their curriculum two years ago, I don't feel like they have managed to offer enough courses and course requirements to completely address futures issues in pharmacy within the realms of health care.
* The faculty/staff is friendly and they actually care about the student's opinions
* Faculty is more accessible and approachable at Tech, according to general consensus of the student body.
* Tech's pharm school is a health science center, and P1s and P2s are there starting from day one. UT, and U of H? You're on an undergrad campus for your first two years of pharm school. Lame! I don't care what anyone says; having a pharmacy school in the middle of an undergrad campus instead of a health science center is an outdated concept. I understand that money plays a role in this, but with health practice going in the direction that it is, there is no reason for pharmacy to be separated from the other avenues of health care professions, even at the P1 and P2 level.
* More experiential/hands-on training.
* Employers are starting to take a liking to hiring Tech graduates because the past few years have shown that the students are coming out of school more prepared to do any job that is given to us, while most other programs tailor the students for specific jobs in pharmacy.
* Tech's learning facilities are newer, better, and have the most current technology (simulation lab, classrooms, etc.)
* IV preparation - offered to P2 students at Tech; offered to P3 students at UT...
IV prep is a huge deal, yet none of the schools have done much to address this as thoroughly as Tech has.

There are so many more things I love about Tech (Amarillo), but those are the main ones. I see Tech becoming one of the nation's best pharmacy programs in the next decade to be sure, but for now, they're extremely underrated.

So there's that.
Hope I didn't offend anyone with what I wrote. It just got a little frustrating seeing all the chatter about schools with no supporting arguments for the opinions.
Feel free to correct me if I am totally wrong about something I said; these are just my opinions and I can only speak for myself and no one else on here.

Last edited: