Texas Tech 2012 Application cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I got my email from Mike about further instructions for accepted students, but is there any place I can look to find out my campus locations? Or do we have to wait for the letter to find out, or even call him to find out? Thanks!

I got my email from Mike about further instructions for accepted students, but is there any place I can look to find out my campus locations? Or do we have to wait for the letter to find out, or even call him to find out? Thanks!
You wait for the letter, but they'll probably tell you if you call.

Members don't see this ad :)
I grew up in a tiny town northeast of Dallas , so it's big to me. It's about 115,000 people but its spaced out so it seems a little smaller. People here for the most part are very friendly and are good people. Weather isn't bad it's typical texas weather except a little more windy. Only 3 hours from Dallas(depending how fast you drive closer to 2 :naughty:). Not the most exciting place in the world but you can find stuff to do. There's some good country bands that come through the country bars/dance halls often if you like that. Living costs are pretty low. Lots of good restaurants. Abilene does have some of the worst drivers I've ever seen though hahaha. It also doesn't have the prettiest scenery , but I'd much rather be here than way up in the flat treeless panhandle in Amarillo.

Thanks for all your input. I think I saw you on the OU thread as well. I'm assuming you are choosing Tech over OU? Can I ask why? Im really torn between the 2 schools! I already put my deposit down for OU ($500...ouch) but depending on how I like Tech's program I might just forfeit OU and go to Tech. I would really appreciate some advice/reasons as to why you chose what you did. Thanks again!

pharmerjo, which school is your choice?

May your kind thoughts and words bring you much happiness and success wherever you go!

Thanks for all your input. I think I saw you on the OU thread as well. I'm assuming you are choosing Tech over OU? Can I ask why? Im really torn between the 2 schools! I already put my deposit down for OU ($500...ouch) but depending on how I like Tech's program I might just forfeit OU and go to Tech. I would really appreciate some advice/reasons as to why you chose what you did. Thanks again!
PHP:
Yeah I was on that thread. Well in my interviews I really liked the teachers at the Tech school a lot better. They seemed to be very caring and seemed to present more of a family like atmosphere. I also liked there curriculum a little better especially the p3 and p4 years. At Tech it seemed that you had more options to do different kinds of rotations. I also liked that everything is "state of the art" at least at Abilene's school. The town is one of the biggest factors for me though. I currently live in Abilene and it's a slow going town which fits my personality much better than big cities do. And Texas is the greatest state and It'd be hard for me to leave it! :D

PHP:
Yeah I was on that thread. Well in my interviews I really liked the teachers at the Tech school a lot better. They seemed to be very caring and seemed to present more of a family like atmosphere. I also liked there curriculum a little better especially the p3 and p4 years. At Tech it seemed that you had more options to do different kinds of rotations. I also liked that everything is "state of the art" at least at Abilene's school. The town is one of the biggest factors for me though. I currently live in Abilene and it's a slow going town which fits my personality much better than big cities do. And Texas is the greatest state and It'd be hard for me to leave it! :D

I was at the Amarillo campus and I felt the same way ^. Are you still debating about OU?

PHP:

Yes, after the interview yesterday (soooo long!) I'm leaning more towards Tech mainly for the in-state tuition! I interviewed at Amarillo but put Abilene for my preference since its closer to home. At Amarillo, Mike was telling us about the new IV labs they just built where each student gets their own hood and when I asked him if Abilene campus has an IV lab too, he wasn't sure. Can you verify? Also, I didn't like the laptop requirements too much but current students told me that a majority of them didn't buy it and that their existing laptop works just fine. Anyway, if i get my acceptance to Abilene I will most likely be seeing you in the fall! :)

I received my official letter in the mail, and I got my campus preferences -- Amarillo then Dallas, however I doubt I'll be attending as I will be considered an OOS student. My spot will open up for those of you who are still waiting to hear. Best of luck, future colleagues!

Members don't see this ad :)
when can i expect to hear back if i interviewed on feb 22nd? the wait is killing me...

PHP:

I'm definitely going to Tech now.

:laugh:NICE! hahah what made ya choose? Just curious!

when can i expect to hear back if i interviewed on feb 22nd? the wait is killing me...
I called tech last week and they said emails should be going out by the end of this week or early next week as they will review those from the feb 22nd interview this week. Mr. Schwettmann actually told me that based on my file I could count on being accepted. :)

This was a really hard decision for me, but I declined my admissions offer from Tech today. This will open up one more spot for anyone who is waiting. Good luck, future colleagues! I will envy all of you who attend this amazing school!!

Just paid my deposit and declined OU. So it looks like I'm in! I was a very hard decision but I couldn't pass up paying cash for school and not haven't any loans to pay back when I'm done! :)

:confused::eek::eek: you can pay the TTU tuition in full without loans?!? nice!

Also are you in the TUHSC fb group yet? I'm curious as to know who you are. (in a non creeper way of course)

hahahahaha "in a non creeper way of course"

Also are you in the TUHSC fb group yet? I'm curious as to know who you are. (in a non creeper way of course)

I'll be able to pay without loans if my grandma kicks the bucket in the next few years.

Does anyone know what our daily scedule will look like for our first semester? (Like time starting class and ending)

Yeah we are blessed that the hubby has a good job and we don't have kids. Of course he expects me to pay for his graduate degree when he wants to go back to school. But I still have a mountain of school loans to pay back from going to a private school as an undergrad.

lol! I'm on the TTU fb group but not in the TTUHSC fb group. The admin for that one hasn't added me yet.

Yeah we are blessed that the hubby has a good job and we don't have kids. Of course he expects me to pay for his graduate degree when he wants to go back to school. But I still have a mountain of school loans to pay back from going to a private school as an undergrad.

lol! I'm on the TTU fb group but not in the TTUHSC fb group. The admin for that one hasn't added me yet.

You requested to join the right groups?

https://www.facebook.com/groups/472321892825464/

and

https://www.facebook.com/groups/294038034031523/

First semester classes will start at 8 am with biochem and end around 12 (can't remember which class was last)
You may not need to go to all the classes since they are recorded and you can watch them online. Towards the end of semester, more than half of class stopped going to biochem haha. Dr Stoll's notes are well written that you don't really have to go to class to do well.
Good luck everyone! look forward to seeing you this fall =)

Anyone who interviewed on feb 22nd hear anything from tech yet?

Just paid my deposit and declined OU. So it looks like I'm in! I was a very hard decision but I couldn't pass up paying cash for school and not haven't any loans to pay back when I'm done! :)

I was curious.. did you already paid your deposit for OU when you declined?

Had my interview Feb. 22nd and really loved the Amarillo campus as well as the faculty/staff. Anyone know how many seats are available?

Had my interview Feb. 22nd and really loved the Amarillo campus as well as the faculty/staff. Anyone know how many seats are available?

I interviewed this month and one of the staffs told us that out of the 155 seats, 107 accepted their offer, so 48 seats remains. However, the staff also mentioned that this does not count the declines from the recent acceptance letters they sent out in February.

Anyone have an update on this?

I interviewed this month and one of the staffs told us that out of the 155 seats, 107 accepted their offer, so 48 seats remains. However, the staff also mentioned that this does not count the declines from the recent acceptance letters they sent out in February.

Anyone have an update on this?

107 and there;s only 47 members who actually joined the fb page....... JOIN PEEPS! I know you are out there!

I was curious.. did you already paid your deposit for OU when you declined?

Yeah I paid the deposit for OU. I got accepted there in December so I felt that I had no choice but to pay it. I just declined OU last week so it's not going to hurt me too much now. But yeah being out $500 isn't too fun especially since I have to pay for all of these shots! :mad:

Sent from my Galaxy S 3 using SDN Mobile

Statistically, how many do they accept from each round of interviews?

For the past week I've really enjoyed reading the posts. It's helped me learn a lot more about Tech. Honestly, Tech wasn't really my top choice but I had a long talk with my boyfriend about our future and decided that I didn't want to pick a school just based on the location, but one that fit me. So, that's what got me to start reading the Tech thread. The more I read, the more I liked the idea of Tech and the more nervous I got about my impending interview. I already had offers, but now I set my mind on becoming a Red Raider.

Another thing that got me excited about Tech was that I really like everyone's personality in this forum. Lots of honest, open, and silly people that I know I would totally get along with. I mean, if you think about it, we're going to have to be around the same people for at least 2 years... 4 if they have the same deployment assignment as you. I'm a super nice person and will always have your back (even bring you snacks in case you get hungry) but a little ghetto will come out and I may want to smack someone if they're being annoying, rude, or something like that. So, it's a big perk if you actually like your classmates =) Anyways, I wanted to write a post last week but I didn't want to jinx my interview. I couldn't wait anymore and wanted to jump in and chat with my future (hopefully!) classmates. I'm happy to say that I think my interview went well but now's the hard part of waiting and checking my email every other minute.

Congratulations to everyone who's already gotten accepted. You should be really proud of yourself !! I hope I get some good news soon. It's gonna mean a lot of changes for me and my family, but I know it'll all be worth it in the end. Plus, I'm really looking forward to the confetti-filled letter I keep hearing about. I hope it's true because I will be very disappointed if there isn't actually any confetti ! :mad:

Good luck Chelle! I agree with everything you said, and the same things put Tech over UT for me, and led to Tech being the only school I applied to. And yes, the confetti is real. I have pictures to prove it.

Yeah I paid the deposit for OU. I got accepted there in December so I felt that I had no choice but to pay it. I just declined OU last week so it's not going to hurt me too much now. But yeah being out $500 isn't too fun especially since I have to pay for all of these shots! :mad:

Sent from my Galaxy S 3 using SDN Mobile

Yeah same here. I got accepted in Jan and had to pay the deposit to save my seat..but will forfeit if i get my acceptance into tech. This wait is killing me! The $500 is definitely an ouch, but in the long run, the cheaper tuition at Tech is going to more than make up for the 500 :)

For the past week I've really enjoyed reading the posts. It's helped me learn a lot more about Tech. Honestly, Tech wasn't really my top choice but I had a long talk with my boyfriend about our future and decided that I didn't want to pick a school just based on the location, but one that fit me. So, that's what got me to start reading the Tech thread. The more I read, the more I liked the idea of Tech and the more nervous I got about my impending interview. I already had offers, but now I set my mind on becoming a Red Raider.

Another thing that got me excited about Tech was that I really like everyone's personality in this forum. Lots of honest, open, and silly people that I know I would totally get along with. I mean, if you think about it, we're going to have to be around the same people for at least 2 years... 4 if they have the same deployment assignment as you. I'm a super nice person and will always have your back (even bring you snacks in case you get hungry) but a little ghetto will come out and I may want to smack someone if they're being annoying, rude, or something like that. So, it's a big perk if you actually like your classmates =) Anyways, I wanted to write a post last week but I didn't want to jinx my interview. I couldn't wait anymore and wanted to jump in and chat with my future (hopefully!) classmates. I'm happy to say that I think my interview went well but now's the hard part of waiting and checking my email every other minute.

Congratulations to everyone who's already gotten accepted. You should be really proud of yourself !! I hope I get some good news soon. It's gonna mean a lot of changes for me and my family, but I know it'll all be worth it in the end. Plus, I'm really looking forward to the confetti-filled letter I keep hearing about. I hope it's true because I will be very disappointed if there isn't actually any confetti ! :mad:

Where are you from? And I am anxiously waiting for my (hopefully) confetti filled letter too!! I got ridiculously excited when I read about the acceptance letters from previous posts haha just because I think the confetti idea is so cute. Anyways, good luck to you and lets hope we can be future classmates! :thumbup: oh btw, which campus did u choose?

I'm in Houston. I chose Amarillo, but put that I'm not restricted. I interviewed in Abilene because it was a shorter drive. Everyone there was so nice that I'd be happy with either campus. What about you?

Where are you from? And I am anxiously waiting for my (hopefully) confetti filled letter too!! I got ridiculously excited when I read about the acceptance letters from previous posts haha just because I think the confetti idea is so cute. Anyways, good luck to you and lets hope we can be future classmates! :thumbup: oh btw, which campus did u choose?

I'm in Houston. I chose Amarillo, but put that I'm not restricted. I interviewed in Abilene because it was a shorter drive. Everyone there was so nice that I'd be happy with either campus. What about you?

Oh I forgot to tell you Good Luck too!!! Sorry my brain is fried from studying. I hope we hear from them soon. I hear that apartments fill up pretty quick, especially in Amarillo.