Texas Tech 2012 Application cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Yeah I paid the deposit for OU. I got accepted there in December so I felt that I had no choice but to pay it. I just declined OU last week so it's not going to hurt me too much now. But yeah being out $500 isn't too fun especially since I have to pay for all of these shots! :mad:

Sent from my Galaxy S 3 using SDN Mobile
I'm assuming since you're married that you and your husband file taxes together. But in case you didn't and FYI to anyone else, if you have low income (which I would think most students are unless they work full time) you can go to these "Federally Qualified Health Centers." You provide them your recent income tax and they determine whether you're eligible for a discount. I got my TB test, first dose of Hep B, and my Tdap for only $20.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm in Houston. I chose Amarillo, but put that I'm not restricted. I interviewed in Abilene because it was a shorter drive. Everyone there was so nice that I'd be happy with either campus. What about you?

I chose Abilene because its closer to home. I interviewed in Amarillo though, so not too sure how the Abilene campus looks like. When did you interview?

For the past week I've really enjoyed reading the posts. It's helped me learn a lot more about Tech. Honestly, Tech wasn't really my top choice but I had a long talk with my boyfriend about our future and decided that I didn't want to pick a school just based on the location, but one that fit me. So, that's what got me to start reading the Tech thread. The more I read, the more I liked the idea of Tech and the more nervous I got about my impending interview. I already had offers, but now I set my mind on becoming a Red Raider.

Another thing that got me excited about Tech was that I really like everyone's personality in this forum. Lots of honest, open, and silly people that I know I would totally get along with. I mean, if you think about it, we're going to have to be around the same people for at least 2 years... 4 if they have the same deployment assignment as you. I'm a super nice person and will always have your back (even bring you snacks in case you get hungry) but a little ghetto will come out and I may want to smack someone if they're being annoying, rude, or something like that. So, it's a big perk if you actually like your classmates =) Anyways, I wanted to write a post last week but I didn't want to jinx my interview. I couldn't wait anymore and wanted to jump in and chat with my future (hopefully!) classmates. I'm happy to say that I think my interview went well but now's the hard part of waiting and checking my email every other minute.

Congratulations to everyone who's already gotten accepted. You should be really proud of yourself !! I hope I get some good news soon. It's gonna mean a lot of changes for me and my family, but I know it'll all be worth it in the end. Plus, I'm really looking forward to the confetti-filled letter I keep hearing about. I hope it's true because I will be very disappointed if there isn't actually any confetti ! :mad:

Hey Chelleonline! Good luck with everything! I read your post, great post!. I hope you get accepted in Amarillo because I really look forward to meeting you! :banana::banana::banana:

The confetti is totally real! :D

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm in Houston. I chose Amarillo, but put that I'm not restricted. I interviewed in Abilene because it was a shorter drive. Everyone there was so nice that I'd be happy with either campus. What about you?
I'm in houston too, but I chose Abilene! I'm still waiting for my letter!! Ahhhh I hope I get in! I wish everyone waiting on a letter luck!!!

Yeah same here. I got accepted in Jan and had to pay the deposit to save my seat..but will forfeit if i get my acceptance into tech. This wait is killing me! The $500 is definitely an ouch, but in the long run, the cheaper tuition at Tech is going to more than make up for the 500 :)
That's how I justified the cost. Hang in there!

I'm assuming since you're married that you and your husband file taxes together. But in case you didn't and FYI to anyone else, if you have low income (which I would think most students are unless they work full time) you can go to these "Federally Qualified Health Centers." You provide them your recent income tax and they determine whether you're eligible for a discount. I got my TB test, first dose of Hep B, and my Tdap for only $20.
Yeah there is no way that I would qualify for that program. Our tax dude was very doubtful that I would even qualify for a grant. But thanks for the info!

does anyone know where we can find which pre requisites we are missing? I'm getting my info all mixed up with other programs that I interviewed at. :confused:

General Chemistry. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 8
Organic Chemistry. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 8
Physics . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 4
General Biology. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 8
Microbiology. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 4
3000 Level Human-Based Life Science
Course . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 3–4
Calculus. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 3–4
Statistics. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 3–4
English. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 6
Literature . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 3
Public Speaking. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 3
Economics. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 3
Humanities or Social Sciences. . . . . . . . . . . . . .15

Interviewed on the 22of Feb and still haven't heard anything. I'm driving myself insane just waiting! Of all the schools I applied, Tech is definitely my number one choice!!! :D

Hey Chelleonline! Good luck with everything! I read your post, great post!. I hope you get accepted in Amarillo because I really look forward to meeting you! :banana::banana::banana:

The confetti is totally real! :D

Thanks! Looking forward to meeting you too. Banana:banana:banana?? Are you telling me what your favorite snack is? Lol.

Interviewed on the 22of Feb and still haven't heard anything. I'm driving myself insane just waiting! Of all the schools I applied, Tech is definitely my number one choice!!! :D

I'm still waiting too :/

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm still waiting too :/

I would try calling Mr. Schwettmann. He can tell you everything you need to know. when the adcom is meeting. he told me over the phone I got in when I called him.

I would try calling Mr. Schwettmann. He can tell you everything you need to know. when the adcom is meeting. he told me over the phone I got in when I called him.

Thank you for the suggestion! I definitely need to do that! I might go crazy if I wait any longer. :laugh:

I chose Abilene because its closer to home. I interviewed in Amarillo though, so not too sure how the Abilene campus looks like. When did you interview?

I interviewed on March 15. Looking back now, I probably should have picked an earlier interview date, but I have weekend organic classes and didn't want to miss any class so I picked the weekend of Spring break.

I'm such a nerd... when I first saw your response, it actually said "bananabananabanana and now I realize that the animated emoticon just didn't show up at the time so I saw the words only. HAHAHA

:laugh: that made me laugh so hard! Chelleonline, I thought the same thing! I just saw the word banana, not the emoticon!

I interviewed on March 15. Looking back now, I probably should have picked an earlier interview date, but I have weekend organic classes and didn't want to miss any class so I picked the weekend of Spring break.

Don't worry, I feel the same way. I wanted to pick an earlier date but there was so much going on with school!

Last edited:
I interviewed in Abilene on Feb 15 and have not heard back yet either. I emailed and asked about my status today and was told that offers should be sent out next week.

I interviewed in Abilene on Feb 15 and have not heard back yet either. I emailed and asked about my status today and was told that offers should be sent out next week.

Thanks for the update. Did they say whether they're just sending offers out next week for the people who interviewed on Feb. 15 or also other interview dates?

Thanks for the update. Did they say whether they're just sending offers out next week for the people who interviewed on Feb. 15 or also other interview dates?

No problem! They didn't say, but I'm assuming those 2 groups will be sent out at the same time! If not, then maybe the Feb 22 group will receive offers the following week

Is Tech done interviewing for the entering class of 2013?

Last edited:
Interviewed feb22. Accepted march 25
Excited as one can be.

I don't know if students have already applied for FAFSA but for those of you that have already done your homework, what is the difference between taking a 6.8% student loan through FAFSA versus a X% loan from a bank? Benefits and downsides to both? I do know through FAFSA, graduate/professional school has UNsubsidized loans, which means we pay interests once we sign on the dotted line. Thanks.

I don't know if students have already applied for FAFSA but for those of you that have already done your homework, what is the difference between taking a 6.8% student loan through FAFSA versus a X% loan from a bank? Benefits and downsides to both? I do know through FAFSA, graduate/professional school has UNsubsidized loans, which means we pay interests once we sign on the dotted line. Thanks.

I know the biggest downside to a private loan is the interest rate. One of my private loans was at a 12% (at the highest in 2008 before the crash) adjustable interest rate. I think it adjusted every quarter but I'm not sure. In 2009/2010 my government un-subsidized loans were at 2.25% adjustable rate..... well one loan is adjustable the other two were fixed at 1.5%. I kept getting emails to consolidate at a 1.25% fixed rate but I never did b/c those loan weren't my biggest ones (10K on one & 5K on the other two) so consolidating 20K at 1% fixed when the 10K was fixed at 1.5% wasn't worth it to me. The bad thing about private loans is that I couldn't consolidate them after the market crashed in 2008 even though I was told several times before that I could. 2008 is also when I graduated from my undergrad and I really did need to consolidate to get a lower monthly payment (fyi pharm techs don't get paid a lot). I would have borrowed more from the government loans but they have a cap on how much you can borrow each year. Bottom line if you have to borrow then max out the government loans before you go to private loans. It makes me sick to my stomach to see my statements every month from Sallie Mae and see how little is going to my principle and how much Sallie Mae is making off of me.

I'm soooo conflicted--I just got my acceptance to Tech yesterday (yay) and I really love the program and staff/faculty but they were the last school I heard from. In the mean time I had been accepted to the other 2 programs I applied to and I thought that I knew where I was going because I hadn't heard from Tech but now that I have I'm having a difficult time choosing. I have a family with a 3 1/2 yr old and I would be going solo for 2 years until I could satellite to Dallas if I go to Tech which btw did I mention I really loved everything about the visit/interview I had versus commuting to UNT which I would be able to stay in Dallas but they are a new program that is still going thru the accreditation process (which I'm not worried about) ughh now I'm rambling..... What to do-such a difficult decision!! Any comments-any others in this predicament?

I'm soooo conflicted--I just got my acceptance to Tech yesterday (yay) and I really love the program and staff/faculty but they were the last school I heard from. In the mean time I had been accepted to the other 2 programs I applied to and I thought that I knew where I was going because I hadn't heard from Tech but now that I have I'm having a difficult time choosing. I have a family with a 3 1/2 yr old and I would be going solo for 2 years until I could satellite to Dallas if I go to Tech which btw did I mention I really loved everything about the visit/interview I had versus commuting to UNT which I would be able to stay in Dallas but they are a new program that is still going thru the accreditation process (which I'm not worried about) ughh now I'm rambling..... What to do-such a difficult decision!! Any comments-any others in this predicament?

If I got accepted into an accredited and a non accred. I'd go to the accredited one. but everyone is different. So I cant give you a solid answer. I likes tech;'s clinical focus and they really have some state of the art technology at tech.

Can someone direct me to the link for the curriculum? I can't seem to find it on the website.

I know the biggest downside to a private loan is the interest rate. One of my private loans was at a 12% (at the highest in 2008 before the crash) adjustable interest rate. I think it adjusted every quarter but I'm not sure. In 2009/2010 my government un-subsidized loans were at 2.25% adjustable rate..... well one loan is adjustable the other two were fixed at 1.5%. I kept getting emails to consolidate at a 1.25% fixed rate but I never did b/c those loan weren't my biggest ones (10K on one & 5K on the other two) so consolidating 20K at 1% fixed when the 10K was fixed at 1.5% wasn't worth it to me. The bad thing about private loans is that I couldn't consolidate them after the market crashed in 2008 even though I was told several times before that I could. 2008 is also when I graduated from my undergrad and I really did need to consolidate to get a lower monthly payment (fyi pharm techs don't get paid a lot). I would have borrowed more from the government loans but they have a cap on how much you can borrow each year. Bottom line if you have to borrow then max out the government loans before you go to private loans. It makes me sick to my stomach to see my statements every month from Sallie Mae and see how little is going to my principle and how much Sallie Mae is making off of me.

Thanks for your input. I think what jumped out at me is 6.8%. That is more than mortgage rates!!!

I haven't been accepted yet. *crossing fingers* but I am in a somewhat similar situation. Without saying too much (and jinxing myself), I did receive acceptance offers and have even paid a $500 deposit to secure a spot at another school. I agree with you, I love everything about Tech- the program, staff, faculty, students, even the people in this forum are so nice! If I get accepted into Tech, although there is another option that's closer, I will take the offer with no reservations. I will be bringing my 7 year old with me, while my boyfriend stays back. Hopefully I'll get my deployment choice and he'll join us in Dallas later. At first I didn't think moving here just the two of us would be an option. But, I think that it will be the best for me and my family in the long run. We haven't figured everything out yet, still waiting on the offer first. It will probably be really hard at first getting adjusted to our schedules but I'm sure everything will work out okay. Follow your heart and pick the school that you feel will give you the best experience and education to help you succeed as a future pharmacist. =)

Hey guys I am really torn between a&m and tech and am leaning more so toward's a&m's program... Anyone have an opinion on the matter? It's always helpful to hear another one's perspective.

I haven't been accepted yet. *crossing fingers* but I am in a somewhat similar situation. Without saying too much (and jinxing myself), I did receive acceptance offers and have even paid a $500 deposit to secure a spot at another school. I agree with you, I love everything about Tech- the program, staff, faculty, students, even the people in this forum are so nice! If I get accepted into Tech, although there is another option that's closer, I will take the offer with no reservations. I will be bringing my 7 year old with me, while my boyfriend stays back. Hopefully I'll get my deployment choice and he'll join us in Dallas later. At first I didn't think moving here just the two of us would be an option. But, I think that it will be the best for me and my family in the long run. We haven't figured everything out yet, still waiting on the offer first. It will probably be really hard at first getting adjusted to our schedules but I'm sure everything will work out okay. Follow your heart and pick the school that you feel will give you the best experience and education to help you succeed as a future pharmacist. =)

Hey Chelleonline, Don't worry. A lot of stuff happens between now and July. Had some friends last year who got accepted over the summer and in late spring. Not everyone will accept their offer. I wish you the best of luck for you, your child, and your boyfriend! Things will work out for the best, they always do. Good luck and keep us updated!

Hey Chelleonline, Don't worry. A lot of stuff happens between now and July. Had some friends last year who got accepted over the summer and in late spring. Not everyone will accept their offer. I wish you the best of luck for you, your child, and your boyfriend! Things will work out for the best, they always do. Good luck and keep us updated!

Thanks! The wait is killing me. I don't know how many times I've refreshed my email or checked SDN to see if anyone else has heard from.

I will be giving up my AMA/DAL seat for this upcoming year. I would have loved to attend this school but I will be attending A&M instead. It's really tough to give up my seat to such a great school, but I just can't live in such a cold environment. Brrrrr