Texas Tech School of Medicine (Lubbock) Class of 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Warped Apostle

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
BOOM! Let's get this thread started.

Members don't see this ad.

I hope I get to join this thread in a few weeks!!! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
What are some areas to stay away from when searching for housing? On the other hand do you have any areas you would recommend? Some justification for your reasons would also be very helpful.

Hey Warped Apostle, I was just checking your MDApps, and saw you were waitlisted. I was wondering when the schools send out waitlist notifications?

And sorry I can't help you out in regards to your question.

Hey Warped Apostle, I was just checking your MDApps, and saw you were waitlisted. I was wondering when the schools send out waitlist notifications?

Wait listed after a deferment?

I was waitlisted and accepted off of the waitlist last year (two days before the deadline for acceptances!). I ended up taking a one year deferment, so I will start school this august.

I was put on the wait-list about a week and half after the match. I felt like all the schools started letting people know about if they made the wait-list around the same time.

What are some areas to stay away from when searching for housing? On the other hand do you have any areas you would recommend? Some justification for your reasons would also be very helpful.

Being an undergrad at Tech, I would suggest avoiding : The Cottages, University Pointe, University Fountains, Raider Pass, or Lynwood Town Homes. There isn't really anything wrong with these places, they are just the common undergrad party apartments/areas. I'm not quite sure on good places yet, as I have been on campus while in Lubbock (thank you scholarships). Hopefully that gives you some direction. I am sure when we have the welcome weekend thing in March (I think?) they will help us out. I haven't really started looking yet.

Reactions: 1 user

I'm an MSII at Tech and I agree with the above comment- you want to stay away from the undegrad area because of parties and traffic (but Lynnwood Townhomes are common for people in our class)- other popular apartment complexes are The Grove, Ashton Point, The Edge, Las Colinas, and Quail Creek.

The Edge is the closest to campus but you have to be over 21 to live there so it eliminates the undergrads (it's more expensive though)

Ashton Point is gated which is nice and it isn't too far from campus

The Grove is furnished and you get roommates since they don't have 1 bedrooms but very reasonable and I believe almost if not all of your utilities are included.

I'm in Las Colinas and love it (I have a 2/1.5 townhouse for myself)- the managment gives $100/month off rent for medical students so it was really affordable. Each apartment has 2 reserved covered parking spaces right by your door too.

Quail Creek has the same deal as Las Colinas since they are from same owner.

I would say our class is close to 50-50 in apartments and owning/renting a house. There are lots of good deals around Lubbock for rentals and many people in our class own homes.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm an MSII at Tech and I agree with the above comment- you want to stay away from the undegrad area because of parties and traffic (but Lynnwood Townhomes are common for people in our class)- other popular apartment complexes are The Grove, Ashton Point, The Edge, Las Colinas, and Quail Creek.

The Edge is the closest to campus but you have to be over 21 to live there so it eliminates the undergrads (it's more expensive though)

Ashton Point is gated which is nice and it isn't too far from campus

The Grove is furnished and you get roommates since they don't have 1 bedrooms but very reasonable and I believe almost if not all of your utilities are included.

I'm in Las Colinas and love it (I have a 2/1.5 townhouse for myself)- the managment gives $100/month off rent for medical students so it was really affordable. Each apartment has 2 reserved covered parking spaces right by your door too.

Quail Creek has the same deal as Las Colinas since they are from same owner.

I would say our class is close to 50-50 in apartments and owning/renting a house. There are lots of good deals around Lubbock for rentals and many people in our class own homes.

Thanks for your input. What are the general price ranges for a 1 bedroom apartment? Is there a website where owners put up condos/townhomes that are for rent? Also, is their an online location where students sell their furniture or old textbooks?

Also an unrelated question is, if there is any preview day or something similar in the spring?

Thanks for your input. What are the general price ranges for a 1 bedroom apartment? Is there a website where owners put up condos/townhomes that are for rent? Also, is their an online location where students sell their furniture or old textbooks?

Also an unrelated question is, if there is any preview day or something similar in the spring?

http://www.lubbockapartments.com/ seems to be a pretty good resource. As for the other stuff I am not entirely sure - one of the MSI or MSIIs could probably be more help. I am pretty sure there is a welcome weekend sometime in the Spring though.

I'd venture to guess 450-900 for 1 bedrooms. decent 2 bedrooms can be had for 600 or so which many people choose to live in alone for the extra room.

no clue on townhomes. lubbockapartments.com might have something though.

facebook and class-wide emails seem to be the common way to sell things.

"spring training" is a weekend in i think april the school and current first years put on for the accepted entrants. house/apartment hunting, church info, meeting future classmates, more relaxed advice from current students, crash course in the lubbock bar scene, etc.

Members don't see this ad :)
Speaking of housing, how early should I go up there to find an somewhere to live? Coming from Austin, I'm so used to housing-search being a bloodbath.

I know what you mean. I lived on Riverside for all four years at UT.. but we (me and 4 other guys) got a nice condo during my last year there. Best. Parties. Ever.

will you be going to ttuhsc som this fall?!

1 bedroom apartments can range from approximately $550-$1000, mainly dependent on distance to campus. I currently live in the Main Street Condos--you can find information at this website: http://www.mcdougalproperties.com/properties/mainstreet/main_street_condos.php

There's a nice mix of undergrads/law students/med students at Main Street Condos. As far as furniture goes there's always craigslist and if you wait closer to May there will be lots of students graduating and leaving Lubbock.

Hey everyone!

First of all, CONGRATULATIONS!

I visited this page a lot last year looking for advice about apartments, books, etc. So I want to be sure to put my 2 cents in.

If you have the time, I would really suggest coming up here for a quick weekend to go apartment browsing. I came up with my parents for a couple days over my spring break in March and it was just enough time to get a feel for the city and really apartment shop and sign a lease. There is a spring training weekend (usually in April) that is a great way to meet your future classmates. Part of that weekend will involve MS1's showing you apartments. I was not able to attend the spring training, but they are only able to show you the "most popular" apartments. So if you have the time, I would definitely try to come up here on your own.

As someone mentioned earlier, I would definitely stay away from the undergrad apartments (Cottages, U Lofts, Raider Pass, etc). You won't want to be dealing with the undergrad stuff when you need to be studying!

The range of apartments in Lubbock is crazy ($400-1000+). My best advice is even with the "high-end" apartments (Windsor Creek, The Dominion, the Edge), don't be afraid to bargain. I am at the Dominion b/c they gave me a good discount and LOVE it. It's a great location, about ~7 minutes from school once you get on the Marsha Sharp. There are several MS1's that live here too and I think they would all say the same thing.

Something to consider while apartment shopping is a garage. While it's not a necessity, it's wonderful in the winter and apparently in dust storms (although I've yet to experience one). I haven't had any problems with my car not starting or scraping off ice b/c my car is parked in my garage. The Dominion has garages in every unit.

Ashton Pointe is a little cheaper than the Dominion and is also nice. Some of the apartments there have garages. I know several MS1's that live there and like it.

I also looked at Springfield apartments. The gym there is impressive. The management staff seemed really nice. But it basically came down to they couldn't give me a better discount.

The Edge and the Grove are really popular with my class. One downside to the Grove is that you must have a roommate. So it's up to you whether you want a roommate or not. I chose not to have a roommate, so that I don't have any distractions, frustrations, etc.

As for books-- don't buy all your books right away. I'll be selling a couple of mine and guaranteed you'll be getting a slew of e-mails from students selling their books (which will be much cheaper than if you went online). For now, the only book you should own in a pretty new copy is BRS Anatomy. You will highlight in it, write in it, accidentally spill coffee on it while you are trying to stay awake studying...you get the point.

Sorry for the long message-- but really wanted to give y'all some pointers! Please let me know if you want more suggestions, have any questions, anything!

When it snows in Lubbock, does the whole city shut down, or are the roads cleared pretty well? We just had a blizzard in Amarillo a few days ago, and despite the snow-clearing efforts, the roads were still pretty dangerous. Will it be worse in LBK?

It is worse in Lubbock. I grew up in Amarillo, and have been in Lubbock the past 4 years - so unfortunately I am an expert in this area... However, Lubbock generally gets a lot less snow than Amarillo. When my family in Amarillo gets a few inches, it usually barely sticks here. A couple of weeks ago it got pretty bad here, and classes were delayed at the undergrad campus for 3 days. They do a good job of clearing the highways and really heavily travelled roads, but don't have the man power to get to most. The good news is, there is generally only one decent snow storm a year.

I also grew up in Amarillo and I don't think it is any different in Lubbock- you get less snow but the clean up is equivelent and so you will get snow days if it is icy (usually just a delay though since it melts so fast). I will say last year they made us come into class one day when the rest of Lubbock (including TTU) had a snow day and several people were in wrecks so I vote if it is icy then just stay home and listen to the audio lectures posted online!

Does anyone know if Lubbock does preleases?

Yes, just about all of the apartments prelease (especially the undergrad ones) and I know Las Colinas where I am the past couple years has run out of medical student discount spots by early May or so.

Every apartment complex I have looked at does, and has started already. As mentioned before, Las Colinas, Parkridge Place, and Quail Creek (Madera Properties) offer a $100 discount for medical students who lease a 2+ bedroom apartmet for 12 months. It ends up being a 2 bedroom (and very big one) for the price of a one bedroom (~$615). Also, I just started looking for an apartment, and if you are interested in a one bedroom kind of close to campus (less than 10 minutes) you should look at Meridian Park. They are pre-leasing right now for $500/month with a 12 year lease. Kind of smaller, but the complex is actually not too bad for the price (not sketchy).

Hello Future Doctors,
Welcome to Tech! I'm a MSI and wanted to let you know that spring training is the second weekend in April.

Do you know how early they allow pre-leases i.e., 2 months in advance or more? I was thinking of going down there to check some out and maybe sign a pre-lease before the big rush.

I signed a pre-lease when I came in early March for spring break so you should be good to go if you were to come now. A lot of people signed pre-leases during Spring Traing in April but it is a busier weekend and most of the apartments that are popular with medical students have a large flow of students there so if you want more personal attention you might come a different time, but spring training is a great experience that I wish I would have made it to.The apartment I am in ran out of pre-leases for medical students in early April the year I moved here (MSII) but it was a lil later last year.

Congratulations everyone!!! I haven't posted here in a very long time since I'm so busy but I am an MSII now. I've very excited for you guys to come to TTUHSC!! I absolutely love it here and couldn't imagine myself anywhere else which is hard to believe since I moved from LA to Lubbock.

I recently got a dog and need to move to a place where I can put a dog door in since I will be starting clinical rotations next year. I am currently living in Los Colinas Apartments on 56th and Chicago. It is about 9-10mins from school and a ton of other medical students live here. I have lived here for 2 years and have never had a problem at all. They have an AMAZING staff and maintenance crew!!!! It's a 2 bedroom/2 bath single floor apartment with a small fenced in area/patio on the corner (there's usually a waiting list for this floor plan). My rent is currently $625 (originally it was $725 but you get $100 off at these apts for being a medical student). Water/Trash/Sewer is $20. It's an electric heater so you will save money over the winter. They are willing to let me sublease my apartment and then you would be guaranteed the same apartment if you want to continue the lease instead of be on a waiting list for this apartment floorplan.

I am looking for someone to take my lease no later than June 1, which would give you time to get settled in get to know people before you start school. This is great for any MBA students starting early! The lease for my new place starts May 1. I am very willing to make negotiate with anyone who is willing to take over my lease. I am willing to show my apartment anytime!

Please email me back at [email protected] if anyone is interested!! Thank you!

Young Trinh, MSII

First off congratulations to all the new MSIs! Enjoy whatever time you have off because when school starts... it doesn't let up.

I signed a 12-month lease with Ashton Pointe (off 4th and Frankford) for a 1 bed 1 bath starting July 29th, 2011 to July 31st, 2012. I am looking for someone to take over this lease, so if you are interested in a 1 bed 1 bath, less then 10 minutes driving to campus please PM me!! I haven't even moved in.

Just some more details about the apartment:
Rent is $690/month which includes a washer and dryer. There is covered parking and its a nice quiet place. It's an upstairs apartment. Also, this apartment is in the newest section of Ashton Pointe - Phase III, so they were built more recently and have newer appliances. Ashton Pointe is a really good complex and has a lot of medical and graduate students.

I need someone to take over this lease because I'm looking for something cheaper due to my changing financial situation.

Congrats on coming to Texas Tech for medical school. As a prior grad, I will say you are coming to the best medical school in Texas!

On a side note, I just moved back to the Lubbock area after finishing residency and have about 50 books from medical school I am trying to get rid of (PreTest Books, High Yield Series, Step Review Books, Board Review Series, etc). They are about 6ish years old; they are more the review type books than actual textbooks. Shoot me an email [email protected] if you are interested. I am just looking for an offer; I am not expecting much. I more just need them gone!

Congrats on coming to Texas Tech for medical school. As a prior grad, I will say you are coming to the best medical school in Texas!

On a side note, I just moved back to the Lubbock area after finishing residency and have about 50 books from medical school I am trying to get rid of (PreTest Books, High Yield Series, Step Review Books, Board Review Series, etc). They are about 6ish years old; they are more the review type books than actual textbooks. Shoot me an email [email protected] if you are interested. I am just looking for an offer; I am not expecting much. I more just need them gone!

Nobody is interested in these?? I'll be taking them to Goodwill by the end of the week and getting a tax write off slip if I do not hear from anyone on here...