Texas tuition

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Thangbill

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
i wonder why med school tuition is relatively inexpensive in Texas, even at Baylor and Utsw. Is it because of oil industry, or limited need-based grants, or large endowment?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Large endowments. The state hands a lot of money to the medical schools in exchange they accept a minimum of 90% TX residents. Texas is extremely committed to servings its own, and keeping its own as practicing physicians in the state.

In contrast; I know Cali residents always complain about how hard it is to get into CA schools, which is absolutely true. A huge problem with California is the state is broke AF (My family used to live there) so all they could really do is write IOU's to universities that wanted to try to open more medical schools/branches.

Reactions: 1 users
Because Texas is the best state in the nation, obviously.
#Secede

Last edited:
Reactions: 11 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Is that the reason why Texas schools are not as good as Cali? I mean ut western is good but I mean compare to Ucla or ucsf or others you know? I heard now they open ut austin and another that might drag ut western and baylor down because the endowment is further distributed.

Is that the reason why Texas schools are not as good as Cali? I mean ut western is good but I mean compare to Ucla or ucsf or others you know? I heard now they open ut austin and another that might drag ut western and baylor down because the endowment is further distributed.
There's soooooo many things that factor into that it's impossible to say "This is why". Things like more competitiveness in CA means higher matriculant stats, sociological theories could suggest the high Asian population of CA increases competitiveness, higher in state tuitions allows more access to resources. It's just impossible to say really.

But as far as Dell med at UT Austin bringing the other schools down, that's not going to happen. They've gotten $150 million in donations alone to help the school, and UT Austin is the wealthiest public school in America with $18 BILLION in endowments.

Because everything is bigger in Texas, except our tuition

Texas is honestly the place to live. A billion cheap med schools that mostly take 90% instate. Low cost of living. Lots to do. 3 NBA teams. Never snows. No state income tax...

The UT endowments are huge for many reasons but a very big reason is Oil. A lot of the revenues the state makes from the oil industry presence in Texas go towards higher education.

There are tons of programs for Texas premeds like STARS, APRIME, JAMP, EMSAP, Boston

The UT endowments are huge for many reasons but a very big reason is Oil. A lot of the revenues the state makes from the oil industry presence in Texas go towards higher education.
It's true. In EP, the school is named after an oil tycoon PLF.

What do you mean by good? Do you mean US News ranking? I don't think there are schools in Cali that compare to UTSW or Baylor for MD only on holistic terms (research ops, pedigree, cost, clinical opportunities) other than UCSF and Stanford. Baylor does not have the same endowment pool as the UT system. UTSW is also a research powerhouse and is perfectly capable of sustaining itself in that regard without relying on the spreading of endowment. Dell is going to be a small, scalable enterprise and won't be comparable to the other schools for some time.

Texas is honestly the place to live. A billion cheap med schools that mostly take 90% instate. Low cost of living. Lots to do. 3 NBA teams. Never snows. No state income tax...
Recently, it does snow a lot in Texas, but it's the good quick kind of snow unlike in NY. There are two NBA teams and the Spurs lol. Oh and the Cowboys too. The cost of living is relatively low, but not in Houston though.

The state shuts down though for 1/2 inch of snow :rolleyes:

How do these programs contribute to the low tuition?
I was just trying to show how tex is commited to medical students at all levels, including college level. I have a friend in APRIME, and she said college-med school take 6 years and no mcat required.

What do you mean by good? Do you mean US News ranking? I don't think there are schools in Cali that compare to UTSW or Baylor for MD only on holistic terms (research ops, pedigree, cost, clinical opportunities) other than UCSF and Stanford. Baylor does not have the same endowment pool as the UT system. UTSW is also a research powerhouse and is perfectly capable of sustaining itself in that regard without relying on the spreading of endowment. Dell is going to be a small, scalable enterprise and won't be comparable to the other schools for some time.
Yeah I saw in US news ranking for primary care and research categories. What is pedigree?

texasforever.jpeg
"Texas forever." Tim Riggins said it best.

Reactions: 3 users
i wonder why med school tuition is relatively inexpensive in Texas, even at Baylor and Utsw. Is it because of oil industry, or limited need-based grants, or large endowment?
the question that should be asked is: Why is tuition too high in other states? :love: