TEXAS: UTHSC-San Antonio School of Dentistry vs UTSD Houston

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Aristocrates

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know this comparison question has been asked before but I couldn't find any recent posts.

My understanding of UTHSC-SA is that it is a gunner school and students are in it to win it for themselves. My understanding of Houston is that it is a more family-like community where everyone helps each other out. If I am wrong, please let me know!

I have talked to grads from UTSD Houston and I was made aware of the recent changes they have made to their curriculum, which has made the courses more system based. Does anyone know if UTHSC-SA has also made this change to their curriculum?

Also, I spoke to a 2014 Houston graduate and he mentioned being $300k in the hole after 4 years. I do understand that Houston has a higher cost of living but is SA that much better?

Overall, which dental school would YOU choose and why? If anyone is or has attended either of these schools please chime in on the topic!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey doc toothache! Your posts on SDN have really helped me out throughout my undergrad.

Fortunately, I have been accepted to Houston and I have an interview in San Antonio this month. I don't mean to sound boastful whatsoever but I strongly believe my undergrad credentials and work experience will allow me to gain admittance into SA. I am a Texas resident, I received an AA 22, GPA 3.97, over 140 hours of shadowing, and over 150 hours of work experience as an ortho assistant (the hands-on experience and one-on-one patient interaction is amazing). Your input in this topic would be very appreciated!

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats on the acceptance!
Just out of curiosity, how did your friend accumulate over 300k in debt? Was he not a TX resident?

Hey doc toothache! Your posts on SDN have really helped me out throughout my undergrad.

Fortunately, I have been accepted to Houston and I have an interview in San Antonio this month. I don't mean to sound boastful whatsoever but I strongly believe my undergrad credentials and work experience will allow me to gain admittance into SA. I am a Texas resident, I received an AA 22, GPA 3.97, over 140 hours of shadowing, and over 150 hours of work experience as an ortho assistant (the hands-on experience and one-on-one patient interaction is amazing). Your input in this topic would be very appreciated!
Wait! You have letter of acceptance from Houston?

Congrats on the acceptance!
Just out of curiosity, how did your friend accumulate over 300k in debt? Was he not a TX resident?

Thank you! He is a Texas resident but school for him was about 25k a year and with a lot of things he had to purchase out of pocket it totaled around 120k. Housing can be pretty expensive in Houston (I understand around $1200/month) and you add in the cost of living, that can be another 100k. I'm not sure if he included his undergrad tuition...

Wait! You have letter of acceptance from Houston?
Yes! I am under a conditional early acceptance program with Houston. Being in this program "will in no way interfere with my ability to apply to or attend the dental school of my choosing in the future" as per the contract I signed. Although I'll admit it still felt strange applying to SA.

Thank you! He is a Texas resident but school for him was about 25k a year and with a lot of things he had to purchase out of pocket it totaled around 120k. Housing can be pretty expensive in Houston (I understand around $1200/month) and you add in the cost of living, that can be another 100k. I'm not sure if he included his undergrad tuition...

You're welcome! I'll PM you!

Housing can be pretty expensive in Houston and you add in the cost of living, that can be another 100k.
16okdA

Utsd has student housing that is 550 per month.

The ones right across from campus? Isn't it hard to get one if you are a D1?

If you apply for it the day applications open you should get in. It's first come first serve so it doesn't matter if you're a D1.

Members don't see this ad :)
They are both good schools, and you can't go wrong with any of these two choices. Good luck on your dental education!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Thanks RoseEndo! I think my final choice will be Houston.
I have a friend who is a D2 in UTHSCSA and he recommended Houston on the part that SA will undergo a change in their curriculum soon (this may leave room for little hiccups in the transitioning process).
Houston is already settled down with their systems based curriculum, which is what I'm used to.
Another factor he told me is that there is not much interaction between the D1/D2s with the D3/D4s, since they are currently spending most of their time in two separate facilities 5 minutes away from each other.

These aren't the only reasons I am choosing Houston but it is an important factor when looking at both schools.

Reactions: 1 users
Thanks RoseEndo! I think my final choice will be Houston.
I have a friend who is a D2 in UTHSCSA and he recommended Houston on the part that SA will undergo a change in their curriculum soon (this may leave room for little hiccups in the transitioning process).
Houston is already settled down with their systems based curriculum, which is what I'm used to.
Another factor he told me is that there is not much interaction between the D1/D2s with the D3/D4s, since they are currently spending most of their time in two separate facilities 5 minutes away from each other.

These aren't the only reasons I am choosing Houston but it is an important factor when looking at both schools.

Yay classmate!

Reactions: 1 user