Textbooks. Which best?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

edux

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello

I am currently a med student making a possible plan for the textbooks useful in the future. I would buy:

1) just as a start to get on my feet: Anesthesia secrets + pocket anesthesia

2) as a valid reference: Barash

3)to get going through and aid in daily cases preparation: Stoelting's (for clinical) + Jaffe (for surgical)

4)preparation for the written exam: Urman-primary and maintenance of certification + Hall

5)preparation for oral exam: Yao + Lovich

This is it! What do you think guys? Enough/too much? Wrong books?

Members don't see this ad.

You are a med student. Do not buy anything beyond Anesthesia Secrets.

Reactions: 2 users
Hello

I am currently a med student making a possible plan for the textbooks useful in the future. I would buy:

2) as a valid reference: Barash

3)to get going through and aid in daily cases preparation: Stoelting's (for clinical) + Jaffe (for surgical)

4)preparation for the written exam: Urman-primary and maintenance of certification + Hall

5)preparation for oral exam: Yao + Lovich

This is it! What do you think guys? Enough/too much? Wrong books?
Holy christ bro, take it easy

Members don't see this ad :)
Only thing you should read as a med student.

The others are for residents/fellows/attendings. Don't waste time and money on anything else.

don't buy any of that crap. As a med student, read Step Up to Medicine. When you're an intern, read the Washington Manual, MGH Pocket Medicine, and the ICU Book. Learn the medicine b/c it's the foundation

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks for the feedback everybody.
I formulated my question wrong.

I am into the final years of med school and plan to enter into residency and to have a career in the field.

So I was wondering if a plane such as that would be correct from the first years of residency till the very end. I do plan to buy the books on the go while proceeding in the years. I would like to have an idea/opinion from you, if the supposedly needed books are correct or wrong, enough.

It's hard to retain the details of anesthesia texts when you're not practicing anesthesia every day as a resident. I tried reading Faust and Baby Miller starting a few months before my CA1 year. It was not time well spent for me.

As the others have said, you're probably better served by reading specific to whatever rotation you're on as a med student and intern.

Ok thanks. I will read the more basic ones ( secrets and/or pocket ) to prepare for the rotations/shadowing/clerkships.

So as a resident would you think books from 2) to 5) would be fine? What did you use as a resident?

Ok thanks. I will read the more basic ones ( secrets and/or pocket ) to prepare for the rotations/shadowing/clerkships.

So as a resident would you think books from 2) to 5) would be fine? What did you use as a resident?
Wait to figure out where you match. Many programs will have some combination of an academic fund, free books they give you, or a free iPad loaded with ebooks.

Most residents will have Morgan and Mikhael and one of either Barash or Miller but please do not buy it now (not only will you not read it, there will also be a new edition as soon as you are ready to need it).

Most academic institutions have online access. We have many of the major texts and can download pdf chapters for free.

Check your medical school library.

Reactions: 1 user
As a medical student, you should get basic skills like IVs, intubations, and masking. That way when you do shadow a resident, you can talk about textbook things rather than running through these old standbys. Also, if you're nailing your intubations then they will be more likely to throw you cool stuff like spinals and art lines.

Completely agree with reading for the rotation you're currently on. Even as an intern, a lot of the text (anesthesia machine, circuits, etc.) will be out of context. I know we're always inclined to "think ahead" as med students, but reading anything beyond Anesthesia Secrets and/or Pocket Anesthesia would be overkill IMHO.