Textbooks

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JimmyB123

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
For those people that prefer the electronic textbooks, are you able to purchase an ebook and export that pdf to an application, such as notability? I like notability because you can annotate the textbook on there so I was wondering how others got their ebooks into that application.

Members don't see this ad.

Download the textbook from the Piratebay for free, then open it in Notability

Reactions: 1 user
Notability is a bad application to annotate ebooks IMO [it seems more designed for the lecture slides than large books]. For those unaware, the two common formats a person will run into is the epub format and PDF, the later is what you would have to use to annotate in a program such as notability.

To answer your question though; Some ways to get epub to PDF is through a computer program called Calibre, although this process will never look perfect as epubs always look rough going through a conversion process regardless of the program you use. Very doable however.

I have not extensively used, but MarginNote does an OK job at making notes on the ol' epubs

Personally, my favorite book program now is actually just iBooks, but that comes at the cost of annotating.

Members don't see this ad :)
I annotate some textbooks in Notability and it works fine, especially for file sizes <100 mb. I use Notability on my iPad mini as well as my Mac and I love it. I do agree that Notability is better for lecture slides because it sometimes loses my spot which is very annoying for books that have lots of pages, which is pretty much every book I have.

I hate that I love real textbooks instead of electronic. Lol. Funny because when I read for leisure, it's iPhone all the way.

Reactions: 1 users
Purchasing an ebook? Don't do it. Once you are in school you'll get plenty of opportunities to 'borrow' ebooks from upperclassmen and classmates. No comment on Notability.