MSW TF-CBT Program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wesleysmith

LCSW
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am looking for opinions on the subject of trauma-focused cognitive behavioral therapy. My program offers a specialization which starts at the beginning of the summer after my first year and continues till graduation the following Spring. It is very enticing in that it offers additional courses (in addition to the 60 required credits) to be taken during the summer when I only have 6 credits for my core program, as well as on sight training throughout by field instructors who have completed "specialized training". Everything about it seems excellent; good supervision, additional courses, extra field education, additional seminars, etc.; all in all it sounds VERY structured, which is appealing. There are only two things that I am concerned about: the experience is geared towards treating children exclusively AND the fact that it is "trauma focused" CBT. I like the idea of working with kids and TF-CBT sounds interesting, but I'm worried that this experience is so specific I will ONLY be employable in a pediatric setting that's geared towards trauma.

So I guess what I am asking is do you think this experience could be transferable to adults as well or should I only enter it if I am set on working with kids after graduation? And also, general thoughts on TF-CBT?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Good Morning WesleySmith. In my very limited opinion, I think that you should take advantage of the program
and add those skills to your expanding repertoire. I don't think it will pigeon hole your employment. I do think it could give you an advantage to work in settings with adolescents and provide you a niche if you ever delve into private practice.
When I worked one VA, 16 of the SW'rs concentrated in children and family in grad school and had 5-10 years at Child Protective Services. It did not hinder them a bit :)
My concentration is Mental Health/Substance Abuse and I am taking a CBT course this fall. The fact that your program offers an entire specialization around it is very interesting! How do you see yourself using it in the future? I personally think it can be applicable to adults, however I an a neophyte to the field and others may disagree. Let's hope that others chime in and offer their thoughts and opinions?

Last edited:
Hey submarine, I would definitely be interested in working in child and family therapy ( I almost opted to focus on this during school, still may) but as I said, I am afraid to specialize before I have any hands on experience only to find out I've placed my self in a position I don't want to be in; I'm sure my adviser/field instructor could shed light on the subject, but I don't start until 09/02 so they don't, uh, exist yet. I'm just obsessing as always and wanted to get ideas sooner than later, so naturally I came here, thanks for your two cents on the subject. Have you heard anything about TF-CBT at the VA? One of the things I thought was this training might be a positive in that environment if I can transfer the skills to adults.

Members don't see this ad :)
Have you talked to current students or alumni who have had the same specialization? When I interviewed for my internship at the VA, I was told that clinicians incorporate CBT (in addition to other modalities of course) into their treatment plans. My program has a trauma specialization but I believe it is all encompassing and not just germane to children. I almost chose that but opted for mental health instead. You are now making me think twice about my decision

Being trauma-informed is generalizable to other populations, not just children. Some employers actually look for training in CBT in their job descriptions. I think most mental health agencies are trying to become trauma-informed nowadays, so you'll have a good background to start with. I won't hesitate to take that class if I were you.

Thank you, It's great to know that training in a trauma focused modality is actively being sought out, I will definitively be looking into the program. As I mentioned, I'm more concerned that the focus on treating children will have an impact on my ability to work with other populations after graduation (in the eyes of my potential employers that is). I'm sure this will not be a major concern, I just felt like knocking on the internet and seeing who answered.

Actually, most therapists are more familiar, and comfortable, working with teenagers and adults. Definitely having the skills to work with children is a huge plus. I work on-call at a hospital and a few of my colleagues try to avoid the NICU and pediatric units because of their unfamiliarity with working with children. Being trauma-informed is the big buzz word nowadays, especially with neuroscience research into attachment, trauma, and the brain. It's a good way to incorporate some neuroscience knowledge into your training.

Reactions: 1 users
Thank you for your replies, they were very helpful!

I took TF-CBT training last month and it was very helpful. I'm already applying it in practice. If I were you, I'd go for it!

Thanks! After some online research, discussing it here, as well as with various faculty members, I've decided I am definitely opting for the trauma concentration at my program this Fall.

Last edited: