TFA cGPA 3.7 sGPA 3.4 MCAT 31 School list?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aschulte

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Like others, I have been a long time reader and am finally posting for advice. With my MCAT score freshly in, I am having trouble making a good school list.

I have just finished my two year commitment in Teach For America.
Will be starting a new job as an ER scribe next month.

Undergrad Stuff
Research in analytical chem lab - 2 years
Student Government Vice President
Sorority Vice President
Shadowed ENT doctor
Middle School/High School/Community College Math & Science tutor - 4 years
University Ambassador - 4 years
Organic Chemistry Lab TA - 1 year
University Club Volleyball - 3 years

Wondering what my chances are for the following list:
Drexel
George Washington
Georgetown
Indiana
Loma Linda
Loyola
Oregon
Utah
New Mexico
Nevada
Hawaii
Arizona
UC Riverside
UC Davis
UCLA
Washington
Colorado

Any thoughts or advice would be much appreciated, thank you! :)

Members don't see this ad.

What state are you from? From reading your list, it appears as if you are applying to too many OOS schools that you really have no chances at. Your MCAT score is good, your science GPA is a bit low but I think you still have a decent shot if you apply to a well thought out list. You have no chance at Hawaii, New Mexico, Nevada, Utah, Colorado, and Indiana if you are a California resident. These schools tend to heavily favor in state applicants. You can cross Loma Linda off unless you are Seventh Day Adventist or fit their mission somehow.

Am originally from CA (undergrad). Have been in Nevada the last two years for Teach For America.

Am originally from CA (undergrad). Have been in Nevada the last two years for Teach For America.

In that case applying to Nevada should be fine. I would still cross the other schools I mentioned off your list unless you have significant ties to those states. I would also not apply to Riverside unless you live in the Inland Empire or have connections there. I would suggest adding schools such as Creighton, Cooper, Medical College of Wisconsin, Temple, Jefferson and NYMC just to name a few...