Thank You Cards/Emails

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tenndoc

bringer of sarcasm
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just curious... how many SDNers actually sent their interviewers a thank you card or email? what did you say in yours? i sent my interviewers and the dean an email today(interview was yesterday and the cards wouldnt have gotten there before the next committee meeting). i love this school so i hope this would leave a positive impression and not seem too brown-noser-ish

Members don't see this ad.

I sent all of my interviewers a physical thank you letter. I kept it short, thanking them for their time, and i also picked out one aspect of the school that the tour had seemed particularly interested in showing off and commented on that, mostly to make it not insanely brief. I don't think i got any of my interviewer's email addresses, but even if i had i would have surely sent a physical letter- even if i chose to supplement that with an email. AFAIK, thank you letters are always well received and in some cases almost expected. I do not believe that it would be considered 'brown-noser-ish' whatsoever, unless you got that vibe from a specific interviewer.

this was the first time ive done it

Members don't see this ad :)
I sent only one in an email. I figured it wouldn't make much of a difference.

Just curious... how many SDNers actually sent their interviewers a thank you card or email? what did you say in yours? i sent my interviewers and the dean an email today(interview was yesterday and the cards wouldnt have gotten there before the next committee meeting). i love this school so i hope this would leave a positive impression and not seem too brown-noser-ish

UT-Memphis? ;)

I hope all went well! I got an interview invite, but I've already decided to attend Quillen. I am curious though. How was it?

To contribute to the thread, I usually just sent physical letters but I did send an email to one interviewer bc he made it a point to give me his email address and tell me that was his preferred method of communication. I'm sure your letter will be fine (even if it doesn't get there before the meeting) bc honestly, I think "thank you" letters have become an expectation. So, sending an email would "seal" your chances of acceptance about as much as wearing a suit to the interview did. Of course, doing neither could definitely hurt your chances. Lol.

Last edited:
UT-Memphis? ;)

I hope all went well! I got an interview invite, but I've already decided to attend Quillen. I am curious though. How was it?

To contribute to the thread, I usually just sent physical letters but I did send an email to one interviewer bc he made it a point to give me his email address and tell me that was his preferred method of communication. I'm sure your letter will be fine (even if it doesn't get there before the meeting) bc honestly, I think "thank you" letters have become an expectation. So, sending an email would "seal" your chances of acceptance about as much as wearing a suit to the interview did. Of course, doing neither could definitely hurt your chances. Lol.

true story... had an interview session where one of the interviewees actually wore jeans and a fedora :thumbdown:thumbdown:thumbdown:thumbdown:thumbdown:thumbdown:thumbdown:thumbdown:thumbdown:

true story... had an interview session where one of the interviewees actually wore jeans and a fedora :thumbdown:thumbdown:thumbdown:thumbdown:thumbdown:thumbdown:thumbdown:thumbdown:thumbdown:

Lies....Wha???? Interview or no interview....There are absolutely ZERO situations where a fedora is appropriate....:laugh:

Lies....Wha???? Interview or no interview....There are absolutely ZERO situations where a fedora is appropriate....:laugh:
if you can pull off the fedora, by all means.. but not during a professional interview

I sent all of my interviewers either emails or thank you cards mailed to them. I can't imagine it affecting the decisions of the admissions committees one way or the other, but it's the decent thing to do. A brief thank you card is always appreciated.

Personally, I think the idea of sending thank you letters to your interviewers is ridiculous. Dear Dr. X, thank you for doing your job and interviewing me, I look forward to learning my decision 3-8 months from now. Haha I don't think so.

Personally, I think the idea of sending thank you letters to your interviewers is ridiculous. Dear Dr. X, thank you for doing your job and interviewing me, I look forward to learning my decision 3-8 months from now. Haha I don't think so.

I have to agree with this.

same but im desperate to try anything to boost my chances for this school. ive never sent out the thank yous before and ive netted 3 waitlists, 1 acceptance, and 1 rejection.

"dr x,
I just wanted to thank you again for your time and attention on [day interview was]. i am grateful for the opportunity to interview at [school]. i had a great visit and i enjoyed my time at [school]. i was blown away by the facilities, faculty, and atmosphere and i sincerely hope to attend [school] this fall. thank you again.

sincerely,

tenndoc"

I only sent thank you notes to interviewers that I really connected with, which was like four of them, and they were emails. The schools that I didn't send thank you notes still accepted me so I don't think it really makes a difference, I guess it's just common courtesy though.

I got a thank you for my thank you. should I send a thank you for the thank you to my thank you?????

pls help, freaking out here! O_O

I got a thank you for my thank you. should I send a thank you for the thank you to my thank you?????

pls help, freaking out here! O_O
a thank you for a thank you for a thank you? we need to go deeper....
images

"dr x,
I just wanted to thank you again for your time and attention on [day interview was]. i am grateful for the opportunity to interview at [school]. i had a great visit and i enjoyed my time at [school]. i was blown away by the facilities, faculty, and atmosphere and i sincerely hope to attend [school] this fall. thank you again.

sincerely,

tenndoc"

^^ sounds kinda generic. can you zusch it up a tad with some particular deets about the interviewer/facilities/something like that? throw in a personal anecdote to seal the deal. "I really enjoyed your story about the blah blah blah..." etc?

It's customary to send a thank you card/email to any interview you go in, regardless of medicine. It usually has no bearing on your decision but it adds a nice touch and shows that you have good personal skills.

It's customary to send a thank you card/email to any interview you go in, regardless of medicine. It usually has no bearing on your decision but it adds a nice touch and shows that you have good personal skills.

I don't think it's a nice touch if it's expected. Though I guess you're right if you consider brown-nosing a "good personal skill". If anything I think that applicants should get a thank you for all the money and time we spend traveling to the interview!

I don't think it's a nice touch if it's expected. Though I guess you're right if you consider brown-nosing a "good personal skill". If anything I think that applicants should get a thank you for all the money and time we spend traveling to the interview!

In most professions knowing when to flatter the right people will help you immensely. Thank you notes are just a part of good etiquette that interviewees should be trying to develop, especially in regards to med school/residency when sometimes the best way to make a good impression is good etiquette.