Thank you note after Interview?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hey everyone,

I read the old threads about this issue. Just wondering what everyone thinks about sending a thank you note after an interview. If yes, which kind? Email or snail mail?

Members don't see this ad.

Definitely a good thing to do. I imagine email is fine.

Last year I'd say I got thank you notes from about 40% of applicants down from 50% some years earlier. I'd also estimate that the split was 80-20 in favor of email over snail mail down from 50-50 in years past.

It is never a bad thing to express your gratitude. Some interviewers are also adcom members and to some of them it matters quite a bit and they will put in an extra "good word" when decision time comes around. In other cases, the interviewer has written their comments and will have no further opportunity to mention your good manners to the committee and whether or not you say thank you won't matter in that regard but it might make someone's day to get a nice note by email or US postal service.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
This is something I've been wondering about as well, and had a (kind of) related question— I know at some schools you are given the name of your interviewer ahead of time. A few people have told me they sent a brief email ahead of time introducing themselves to the interviewer. Anyone know if this is standard practice or how it is generally received by interviewers?

Maybe I'm super old fashioned but I always sent a thank you card. I always asked though before I left if that was okay and where to send it. I just think its more personal than an email.

Reactions: 1 users
Hey everyone,

I read the old threads about this issue. Just wondering what everyone thinks about sending a thank you note after an interview. If yes, which kind? Email or snail mail?

Of course you should! IMHO, snail mail is the way to go.

I'm quite perverse about this. A mailed thank you note I'll simply throw away, but I'll respond to an emailed one with a thank you of my own.

Hey everyone,

Reactions: 1 user
What about MMI style interviews?

What about MMI style interviews?

Typically, you wouldn't send in a thank you note. However, if someone on your interview day really goes above and beyond, then feel free to do so. I mailed one in to one of the assistants after an MMI last year.

-Bill

Would it be redundant if we already thanked them during interviews?
I feel bad about clogging people's inboxes.

Would it be redundant if we already thanked them during interviews?
I feel bad about clogging people's inboxes.

I don't think so.

When I was working as a manager, I always appreciated notes from applicants. A short note not only demonstrates good manners, but indicates that the applicant has a genuine interest in the position. A "thank you" note wouldn't necessarily land someone a job, of course, but they definitely got some bonus points. YMMV.

-Bill

This is something I've been wondering about as well, and had a (kind of) related question— I know at some schools you are given the name of your interviewer ahead of time. A few people have told me they sent a brief email ahead of time introducing themselves to the interviewer. Anyone know if this is standard practice or how it is generally received by interviewers?

To me, this would be highly irregular. Anything they need to know about you they will be given by the school or expected to extract from you during the interview.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I know this has already been discussed, but only send notes if it's something you want to do, and don't expect anything of it. I never sent thank you notes when I was interviewing. Some places have policies in place regarding thank you notes (e.g., whether they want them or not, snail mail vs. e-mail, etc.). In general I'd go with e-mail, but I understand the appeal of going "old school" and sending in a paper note.

Should i sent one to everyone I met (Dean, admissions officer, administrative assistant, one other admissions member, and interviewers) or just the interviewers? I had some great conversations with some of the people who were not official interviewers. I'm sure many were unofficial interviewers. Can I send one to each? And if the admissions committee only has one email including the dean and the other staff should I send everyone i met on admissions a note through the same email?

Yeah I made my best impression at the interview, I feel like they have all they need to make an informed decision. Once I have an acceptance, I'll send a letter, but that's just me.

Should i sent one to everyone I met (Dean, admissions officer, administrative assistant, one other admissions member, and interviewers) or just the interviewers? I had some great conversations with some of the people who were not official interviewers. I'm sure many were unofficial interviewers. Can I send one to each? And if the admissions committee only has one email including the dean and the other staff should I send everyone i met on admissions a note through the same email?

Send a personalized email or handwritten note to individuals but don't send an email to an entire group. It is unnecessary and starts to feel like spam.

Just to up-date what I wrote a few years ago; I'm still running at about 50% thank yous but they are now 100% email, nothing by US mail. All arrive after I've written my evaluation of the candidate so they have no influence on my assessment.

Send a personalized email or handwritten note to individuals but don't send an email to an entire group. It is unnecessary and starts to feel like spam.

Just to up-date what I wrote a few years ago; I'm still running at about 50% thank yous but they are now 100% email, nothing by US mail. All arrive after I've written my evaluation of the candidate so they have no influence on my assessment.
Is it fair to assume that your written assessments are completed so soon after the interview that even if someone was able to send an email within a couple of hours, it still wouldn't have any impact?

Is it fair to assume that your written assessments are completed so soon after the interview that even if someone was able to send an email within a couple of hours, it still wouldn't have any impact?

We are encouraged to complete the assessment within 30 minutes and some of the clinicians are adept at this as they are at charting a patient encounter. I tend to turn it over in my mind a bit more but usually not more than a couple hours after the interview.

*staples a $20 to my thank you letter*

Reactions: 4 users
I send emails. A couple people have sent a thank you back, most have not.

For something that's going to be promptly discarded, I'd rather not go through the hassle of actually mailing something lol

No one is going to go from "wait list" to "accept" merely because of a thank you note. This is yet another pre-med delusion.

Like my learned colleague, I make my final decisions as soon as I get back to my office after the interview. Not only are they made, they get transmitted to the wily old Admissions dean.

It's just good manners. It probably won't have any impact on your admission, but you should try to have good manners. Manners go a long way. Don't mention your app, or anything else. Just say thanks.

What I did:
1. Asked someone who I can send a thank you note to (in my MMI case, it was to the admissions email who then forwarded it/attached it to my application)
2. Write a thought out email thanking everyone for their time and what I liked/learned from the school
3. Twiddle thumbs waiting for next II