Thank you notes don't matter?? ! ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Turtlez

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've heard many times that post-interview thank you notes in any form don't affect how programs rank applicants whatsoever. Someone told me there were studies that proved this. Can someone link me those studies? Any thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

I've heard many times that post-interview thank you notes in any form don't affect how programs rank applicants whatsoever. Someone told me there were studies that proved this. Can someone link me those studies? Any thoughts?

In general they don't matter. Just like telling a place that you are ranking them #1 doesn't really matter. There may be a few programs here and there where those things will matter, but as a whole they don't.

Programs are used to seeing applicants saying all kinds of stuff to try and get in. Maybe you tell your top 3 programs they are all number one. If you really rank Program A first, but Programs B and C have you ranked to match and you don't, they know you lied. You see that enough and they start to just not care what people say.

Thank you cards at my program were all piled into one big box. They weren't passed out or read, though our PD let us residents read through them when we sat down to give our input. So n=1, they made zero difference.

N=1 but My program immediately ranks people after the interview, therefore even if you send one, you've already been ranked. Same thing with sending those, "you're my number 1,"doesn't matter since they've already ranked you.

Really goes back to what everyone has been saying:

1) do your best at every interview
2) rank programs based on your priorities as programs will do the same

Of course there are a few programs this might matter at, but I think the majority of places, specialities it does not pull any weight.

None the less, I try to do this as a matter of respect and how I was brought up. Academic medicine is a smaller community than most realize and it's always nice to thank those faculty that have busy lives who make the time to interview you. Just don't expect the card to pull any weight. If anything, I'm sure a succinct email would be optimal as I'm sure it gets annoying getting inundated with tons of cards.

Now if your thank you card includes a Starbucks Gift Card, that's another matter.

I kid, I kid. Please do not send gifts.

Reactions: 3 users
Doesn't matter

Yeah, about how I feel about it now. I am doing my rank list and wait on March 18th to see where the hell I am going.

Got me to the point I don't even care anymore where.

Between where I want to go, family wants me to go, SO wants to go, and program responses and non-responses.

**** the whole messed up process. :laugh:

Reactions: 3 users
I'm a senior resident and did applicant interviews along with the faculty this year. After interviews we all got together, and discussed and ranked the applicants. Done deal. Thank-you cards mean nothing, the decision is made on interview day. A couple of people sent me cards. I said "oh that's very nice" and then recycled them.

You forgot to add: "Disclaimer–this is not representative of every residency program and/or specialty"

I interviewed at about 58 programs in 3 specialties. I would say the majority of my thank you notes were responded to - some generic responses some more specific. I can't tell you that they had an impact - but I did end up getting at least 10 "you are at the top of our list/ we are seriously considering to rank you, etc. type e-mails"
-But I would think the greatest impact would be from your application (USMLE, MSPE, grades) and interview.
-if the thank you note did have some impact I would imagine it to be very small
-the only way to really get an answer is to do some survey for each specialty for PD but apparently the responses from the PD and administrators here at SDN is that they don't mean much.

I interviewed at about 58 programs in 3 specialties. I would say the majority of my thank you notes were responded to - some generic responses some more specific. I can't tell you that they had an impact - but I did end up getting at least 10 "you are at the top of our list/ we are seriously considering to rank you, etc. type e-mails"
-But I would think the greatest impact would be from your application (USMLE, MSPE, grades) and interview.
-the only way to really get an answer is to do some survey for each specialty for PD but apparently the responses from the PD and administrators here at SDN is that they don't mean much.
How long ago did you apply? I wonder if programs are becoming more careful about responding with "you are at the top of our list" emails or if it's still the same

wow that takes commitment to interview that much. Must have been hell..........

Reactions: 1 user