Thank you/what do you think of my MCAT study plan?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

southpawcannon

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thank you everyone for reading and responding to my previous posts. I know I don't always reply to everyone's response, but want you to know your efforts and wisdom never go unappreciated. Related to a recent post of mine, I've decided along with the help of you guys and dean of a medical school branch in my town that an SMP next fall would be in my best interest. Being the cut-off to submit all material for SMPs tend to be by June, I've decided I need to begin prepping for the MCAT over the holidays and take the exam by early May. I will be taking Physics II and Organic II, both on Mon, Wed, and Fri, and working my current job. Most Saturdays and all Sundays will be free from work, and I will be free til early afternoon on Tuesdays and Thursdays. So, I'm thinking review Tues, Thurs and Sat, take a practice exam on Sunday. Each week until time to take the MCAT. That should leave me at a minimum of 50 study days and 12 practice exam days. The subjects I've not had in some time are Freshman Biology, Anatomy and Physiology and Inorganic Chemistry. Anatomy, piece of cake. Phys, I need to brush up on. Prior to OChem class, I'm sitting in on Gen Chem II for a refresher. I took Genetics this past summer and comprehend it well. Physics I and II and OChem I and II should be fresh in my mind as well.

How might I structure my plan even further studying each of these subjects? Would spending a month to six weeks on each BS, PS and VR initially be a good idea, taking weekly tests, then come back to an intense overall review the last month or so, taking an entire practice MCAT exam a couple of times?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
i think it's best first to take a practice mcat exam before you start your actual studying :) once you get your result, review what are your strengths and weaknesses at the current moment. i found this way to be much productive where i focused brushing up my weaknesses which eventually became my strengths. after a few weeks i took another practice mcat exam to see if there were other weaknesses (or whether or not my strengths were still strengths). by repeating this cycle over and over with studying and reviewing in between, i was able to keep track of my studying progress.

during the last 3 weeks before taking my actual one, i was taking heavy load of practice tests. i knew my strategy was working b/c i was getting similar scores in all four sections by this time :thumbup: i ended up getting 2 pts higher on my actual mcat so i was glad!

so basically i recommend you to take lots of practice exams near your real one. by doing so your mentality will be focused on the actual test, and you won't be distracted/worried about reviewing the last minute. the beginning few weeks or a month should be basic studying/review of each section. good luck :D