Thank yous to fellowship interviewers?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Thepassageofgas

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all--

Do you send thank yous to all your interviewers at fellowship programs ? Just the PD? No one at all?

Thanks--

gas

Members don't see this ad.

Just went through this process, and I wrote thank you's during my travels recently on the interview trail. If you choose e-mail (which almost everyone does these days) it actually opens up an opportunity for you to follow up and show extra interest if you really liked a program. The same is true for programs too as I had several write me back with positive feedback.

That being said, absolutely program-specific and some are almost like Fort Knox and won't send anything back. Go with your gut, but a quick thank you to those who took the time to interview you (especially if you really liked the program) certainly cannot hurt you.

Members don't see this ad :)
They should be sending you thank you notes for considering being their slave for a year.

I sent thank you emails or letters to all places. I also called my top choice and thanked the coordinator. A little class goes a long way. Acting like they would be privilages to have your presence is not the way to go.

I sent emails with new questions, or asking for clarification on topics discussed during interviews. Sending a thank you doesn't show your interest in the program, as a plain thank you takes no thought. If you want to show interest, ask more questions during the interview process or via email later. Not only are you able to clarify for yourself, and better assess and rank the program, but you also show that you listened and are giving what they said on interview day more consideration.

If, however, the purpose of the thank you is actually just to say thanks, and not confirm interest, then thank away. I just don't see much of a point in sending thank yous for a job interview, and I'm generally a very considerate person in real life.

Sent from my SM-G920V using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
I have always sent a short email to each interviewer with something like: "Thx for meeting me, I enjoyed talking about X, I think I'd be a good fit because of Y, look forward to hearing from you."