Thank you's

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Is there a preferred way to send a program's faculty thank you's? One resident where I interviewed recommended regular mail. Is that standard or is email or phone preferable for some programs?

I'll send you a thank-you letter if you answer this :)

Members don't see this ad.

There is another thread about this a little further down the board.

A handwritten letter via regular mail is still the standard. Email is better for keeping in touch with the program director and coordinator later on. However, if you have some sort of innate inability to write and mail by hand, email thank you's are probably OK.

It's pretty hard to get in touch with most of us by phone these days, and getting the program director or chair via a cold call is probably going to be nearly impossible. I would recommend against having anyone paged to try to get in touch with them for something as simple as a thank you.

The added benefit of a written note is that it is the most likely form of communication to get added to your file. Emails get deleted, but its hard to just throw out a nice handwritten card.

There is another thread about this a little further down the board.

A handwritten letter via regular mail is still the standard. Email is better for keeping in touch with the program director and coordinator later on. However, if you have some sort of innate inability to write and mail by hand, email thank you's are probably OK.

It's pretty hard to get in touch with most of us by phone these days, and getting the program director or chair via a cold call is probably going to be nearly impossible. I would recommend against having anyone paged to try to get in touch with them for something as simple as a thank you.

The added benefit of a written note is that it is the most likely form of communication to get added to your file. Emails get deleted, but its hard to just throw out a nice handwritten card.

Muchas gracias senor! At some places I interviewed, I had 6 faculty interview me. That's why I was hoping email might be accepted. Do I send all 6 interviewers a thank you card or just one to the program? Who should I address it to?
I'll check out the other forum too, and apologize for re-posting a thread.

Members don't see this ad :)
Muchas gracias senor! At some places I interviewed, I had 6 faculty interview me. That's why I was hoping email might be accepted. Do I send all 6 interviewers a thank you card or just one to the program? Who should I address it to?

I've noticed that emails are perfectly acceptable, and at many placed (especially when interviewer's provide their email address) are preferred.

You can do either. For 6, I'd probably just do one to the program, and send it to the coordinator or program director.

Again, I know it is easy to over-think this stuff, but a thank you note is not going to get you into, or exclude you from, residency. It's just the right thing to do. Rather send an email to spare yourself minimal effort? Fine, you don't need to justify it to me.

You can do either. For 6, I'd probably just do one to the program, and send it to the coordinator or program director.

Again, I know it is easy to over-think this stuff, but a thank you note is not going to get you into, or exclude you from, residency. It's just the right thing to do. Rather send an email to spare yourself minimal effort? Fine, you don't need to justify it to me.

Yes, I have been going crazy over what is proper etiquette, etc.
I was planning to send one to the PD, one to the chair if they interview me, and one to any interviewer who I especially liked or connected well with. But then, I always feel bad about not sending the other interviewers a card, and wonder if they will somehow discover this and hold it against me. Obviously, I realize that these people are receiving dozens of thank you cards every day, and it's unlikely they give a fig about who sends what. But there is always that "what if" in the back of my mind.

It's not a question of whether the thank you card will help me get in. I know it won't. But I want to make a good impression regardless, and I think the card (or email) definitely figures into that impression.

Edit: Also, some people have suggested listing specific interviewers in their letter to the PD. But somehow it seems like a weird thing to do..could just be me though.

I'm writing paper thank-you notes to PDs and emails to all the other faculty. I figure everyone deserves a thank-you, but emails are just as good for most people. I don't see what all the fuss is about. I doubt anyone keeps track of these things, but it's just a nice thing to do.

I'm writing paper thank-you notes to PDs and emails to all the other faculty. I figure everyone deserves a thank-you, but emails are just as good for most people. I don't see what all the fuss is about. I doubt anyone keeps track of these things, but it's just a nice thing to do.

If it helps me get in. I'll send 18th century figurines to a program :idea:

How are people handling this issue now days? I feel like one hand written letter to the program is simpler than sending 4-5 different personalized email to each interviewers.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I get email thank-you notes from both residency and fellowship applicants. Hardly anyone is sending paper notes anymore as far as I know. Those interviewers are volunteering their precious time to sit down with you, I think a three line note is worth your effort.

I forward every one of them to the residency coordinator, who puts them all in your files, though. So be very careful about using a stock template where you don't change much. Honestly, that reflects more poorly on you than not sending anything at all, even if that's not really fair.

Reactions: 1 users