Thank you's?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rx87

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wanted to poll others on "thank you etiquette" following interviews.

What are your thoughts on:

1) typed thank you letters with handwritten signatures sent by snail mail versus handwritten thank you notes on cards sent by snail mail
2) sending to each resident versus one note for the whole residency class? particularly for larger programs that have 6 or more PGY-1's

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

prob do handwritten letters to each resident and person u interviewed with

Just wanted to poll others on "thank you etiquette" following interviews.

What are your thoughts on:

1) typed thank you letters with handwritten signatures sent by snail mail versus handwritten thank you notes on cards sent by snail mail
2) sending to each resident versus one note for the whole residency class? particularly for larger programs that have 6 or more PGY-1's

Thanks!

Email.... ive received hand written cards and they all seem to end up unturned trash in a few minutes. I world rather read an email than anythingwritten by hand. Better yet don't send anything at all. I does not impact whether it ranked or not.

Members don't see this ad :)
Email.... ive received hand written cards and they all seem to end up unturned trash in a few minutes. I world rather read an email than anythingwritten by hand. Better yet don't send anything at all. I does not impact whether it ranked or not.

I would sent a hand written card to the program director.

I would sent a hand written card to the program director.

Just to the program director or would you bother sending to everyone you interviewed with and residents?

I would send handwritten notes to everyone you interview with.

I would send handwritten notes to everyone you interview with.

I know candidates at my program interview with at least 15 different people...I would not realistically expect them to send a hand written note to all of us.

Honestly, these notes are not going to change your ranking. If you're good, you're good...and if you suck on the interview-it will not change my mind about not ranking you.

I know candidates at my program interview with at least 15 different people...I would not realistically expect them to send a hand written note to all of us.

Honestly, these notes are not going to change your ranking. If you're good, you're good...and if you suck on the interview-it will not change my mind about not ranking you.

That's what I figured about being interviewed by so many people throughout the day. I agree with your opinion on the notes. I wouldn't do it with the expectation of moving up in the rankings, more just because I really do appreciate the opportunity to interview with the program. :)

I would at least send a thank you to the program director.

Everyone is going to send a thank you note. Be unique. Send a gift basket. Otherwise just send an email. :)

Everyone is going to send a thank you note. Be unique. Send a gift basket. Otherwise just send an email. :)

Although it is an unique idea, I personally think gift basket is a bit too much for a poor pharmacy student like myself to send.

I really hope we are not judged and ranked solely on the quality of our gift baskets but on the quality of our interview performance. :)

lol? A gift basket? I think that's going overboard.

Again, as stated above, it's just a courtesy thing, not a "oh he'll defn get the position now!"

Members don't see this ad :)
The director of the hospital I am doing my rotation received an edible arrangement from the current PGY-1 resident LOL. He said he would have ranked him the same regardless, but it was memorable.

I have heard hand written thank you note to the director and residents and shoot an email to the remaining staff that interview you.

The director of the hospital I am doing my rotation received an edible arrangement from the current PGY-1 resident LOL. He said he would have ranked him the same regardless, but it was memorable.

I have heard hand written thank you note to the director and residents and shoot an email to the remaining staff that interview you.
when you say handwritten, you mean a hallmark card that says "thank you" and you write a quick thanks inside?

Because my handwriting is terrible and I was thinking type up a quick letter saying thanks and what i enjoyed the most...

Yeap. Usually the school bookstore has some thank you cards with your school on it, but I am sure hallmark cards are just fine.

I think as long as you send a thank you note of some sort (even a letter on nice stationary) you will be ok. :)

Don't ever send a gift to the program director or anyone else - that just shows desperation.

How long after an interview should the thank you emails be sent? 2 days, 5 days, a week?

I just shot emails out to the interviewers~ I think once you match...then it may call for handwritten and signed thank you cards =]

plus...i only received an email back from 1/5 of my interviewers..

If you're mailing out hand-written cards to multiple people (PD, residents) are you putting sealed cards in one big mailer or mailing out each card individually?

I just shot emails out to the interviewers~ I think once you match...then it may call for handwritten and signed thank you cards =]

plus...i only received an email back from 1/5 of my interviewers..

I second this. The preceptors at the hospital (which had over 120 applicants) were talking about how an email is enough and that the card just adds paper and clutter.

I've only been shooting the directors a card and everyone else a thank you email.

I second this. The preceptors at the hospital (which had over 120 applicants) were talking about how an email is enough and that the card just adds paper and clutter.

I've only been shooting the directors a card and everyone else a thank you email.

I think this is a good system.

Hand written thank you note/card
Nothing fancy
Mail it the same day or the next
Send to program director

What does it show? Social graces, perhaps?

That is generally the consensus
Of course there will be some differing opinions...

But I've also heard that your thank you's should be somewhat different for each one that you write. So for a large interviewing team, are you guys sending the preceptors individual emails or all together in one? It would be difficult to write multiple different ones...

If you decide to go that route then individualize them a bit.

I got a thank you card that had like this glitter on it glued on, and it had rubbed off so when I opened it I got glitter all over my desk and coat.

Was not happy about that.

Did not penalize applicant though, haha...if they match ill tell them to hold the glitter next time.

I got a thank you card that had like this glitter on it glued on, and it had rubbed off so when I opened it I got glitter all over my desk and coat.

Was not happy about that.

Did not penalize applicant though, haha...if they match ill tell them to hold the glitter next time.

:laugh:

For a second, I read that as they glued on the glitter themselves like back in arts and crafts. At least your coat will look pretty and festive. :D

I've been Sending places personal Thank you letters if they had less then 6 individuals who interviewed me. I know it's time consuming, but it never hurts. I've had Great experiences on my interviews thus far... with one more to go.

A gift basket is doing "the most"!!! lol

On a side note:
I'm curious to see how this whole Match will turn out!

I've been Sending places personal Thank you letters if they had less then 6 individuals who interviewed me. I know it's time consuming, but it never hurts. I've had Great experiences on my interviews thus far... with one more to go.

If you are sending hand-written thank you cards, are you guys writing it very much like a formal letter with the address and date at the top of the letter? I am not sure how this will look on the thank you card?
Thanks

If you are sending hand-written thank you cards, are you guys writing it very much like a formal letter with the address and date at the top of the letter? I am not sure how this will look on the thank you card?
Thanks

I went to Target, bought a batch of 10 thank you cards, wrote each one specially to the individual interviewers. Then I put all of the thank you cards in 1 envelope and sent it. I made sure that delivery conformation was obtained as well.

would not sending thank you cards count against you or thank you emails?

my reasoning is everyone know how you did, if you did well you're set if you messed up you can send in a basket of roses and it wouldn't make any difference

my reasoning is everyone know how you did, if you did well you're set if you messed up you can send in a basket of roses and it wouldn't make any difference

I agree

To me, I think it's not for you to try and win points with the program. The program most likely had a ton of applicants, but they picked you for one of their interview spots. It's just showing appreciation that they gave you a chance to interview with their program.

i asked a pgy2 he said its really just tie breaker for ranking but its mostly how u did on the interview

i'm wondering if i should send thank you email a couple weeks past the interview, any thoughts?

i asked a pgy2 he said its really just tie breaker for ranking but its mostly how u did on the interview

i'm wondering if i should send thank you email a couple weeks past the interview, any thoughts?

Go for it! Nothing to lose at this point.

I personally like to at least get an email. So far only one person has sent a thank you at all.

FTR - I advocate sending thank yous for any job interview and this is a job interview.

yea i've been sending directors cards and residents emails.

this latest one though, they told me they only have temporary offices and keep moving...so i have no idea where to send mail.

There lies the problem, edible arrangements only works on female DOPs. Send it to a dood... Lol. I kid I kid.

Last edited:
Okay I'm worried I created a terrible discourtesy.

I had interview at a program and I promptly wrote the program director a hand-written card and mailed it out.

Today I get an email from the PGY1 residency coordinator saying that they were following up with me on my interview and letting me know which preceptor attended my group session. They then listed all the preceptors and their email addresses. They stated they were happy to have me for an onsite interview and email if I have any questions.

Is this implying I should have sent all them an email thanking them?

I'm going to shoot out emails today thanking them for interviewing me but this email just seems a bit odd and I'm not sure how to take it.

Okay I'm worried I created a terrible discourtesy.

I had interview at a program and I promptly wrote the program director a hand-written card and mailed it out.

Today I get an email from the PGY1 residency coordinator saying that they were following up with me on my interview and letting me know which preceptor attended my group session. They then listed all the preceptors and their email addresses. They stated they were happy to have me for an onsite interview and email if I have any questions.

Is this implying I should have sent all them an email thanking them?

I'm going to shoot out emails today thanking them for interviewing me but this email just seems a bit odd and I'm not sure how to take it.

I wouldn't overthink it. They probably just want to make sure you have their contact info for any questions you have after the fact. At all my interviews the preceptors emphasized that I contact them with more specific questions after interview day but I didn't feel obligated to email each and every one of them. They may have just realized they neglected to provide business cards to you.

I had this interview and the itinerary had nothing like lunch or airport shuttle back ( it was an out of state interview for me). However, after the interview on my way out, I was offered lunch, to be taken to the city's downtown for a tour and even to be taken back to the airport. I am not sure if they liked me or it was just courtesy but the other candidate was not at lunch (was in state candidate) and left earlier than I did.

I am confused about ranking because they have a very good program, they have only one spot and other interviews I had have 2 spots. I want to increase my chances of getting a residency but now more confused than ever.

I need help.:confused::confused:

I had this interview and the itinerary had nothing like lunch or airport shuttle back ( it was an out of state interview for me). However, after the interview on my way out, I was offered lunch, to be taken to the city's downtown for a tour and even to be taken back to the airport. I am not sure if they liked me or it was just courtesy but the other candidate was not at lunch (was in state candidate) and left earlier than I did.

I am confused about ranking because they have a very good program, they have only one spot and other interviews I had have 2 spots. I want to increase my chances of getting a residency but now more confused than ever.

Rank exactly in your order of preference. Ranking someone just because they will rank you will not increase your chances. It's hard to explain it in a forum post, but trust me, it does not.

If you read on the match site how it works it helps I think. Rank your order of preferences without regard to how you think you will be ranked. The Match tries to give you your first choice before any other sites v

I guess an email would be nice...we're just so damn busy that we don't really notice, maybe my RPD will make a mental note.

But to keep the process legally defensible, the criteria is set early on and any effect of a thank you letter on moving up or down on the list would fall under the nefarious "institutional fit" category.

So yes send a quick email (it takes a while for the hospital mailroom to wind letters to our department), but don't gush mushy effusiveness.

Hint: saying crap like "i love love love your program and it's the best fit for me" is meh, sincere things like "i enjoyed meeting with you and learning about your institution, thank you for taking the time to meet with me blah blah" sounds better.