Thanking Letter Writers

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

notchandlerparsons

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So in my gap year I've been working as a cook at a somewhat pricy restaurant.
I've recently been promoted to Sous Chef of a new restaurant, starting in the Fall.

Would it be appropriate to thank my letter writers by inviting them and their families out to have a meal at my restaurant and comp/discount it?

Members don't see this ad.

nah, just write a nice note. anything more is too much (it might seem to look like favor buying)

nah, just write a nice note. anything more is too much (it might seem to look like favor buying)

It's after the fact though.
Ideally I'll have my first acceptance by the time I start as Sous.

And this is the 2nd application cycle that all of my letter writers have submitted on my behalf.

Members don't see this ad :)
It depends how close you are. I agree with @Spector1 that this might be a bit much to do for everyone, but I'm planning on sending a gift to a mentor of mine for writing the letter and everything else he's done for me

I agree that it depends on your relationship. If the only thing you're thanking them for is their letters, this seems like a bit much.

Invite them after you get your first acceptance. Tell them you want to celebrate your success and thank them for their part in it. It isn't necessary (IMHO a heartfelt thank you note is the best way to show gratitude) but it will be appreciated and remembered. Also, comp the meals, not a discount, as offering them a discount on a restaurant meal as a thank you seems like not much of a "gift". If that's all you can afford, better to just spend the money on stationery and write a nice note.

Invite them after you get your first acceptance. Tell them you want to celebrate your success and thank them for their part in it. It isn't necessary (IMHO a heartfelt thank you note is the best way to show gratitude) but it will be appreciated and remembered. Also, comp the meals, not a discount, as offering them a discount on a restaurant meal as a thank you seems like not much of a "gift". If that's all you can afford, better to just spend the money on stationery and write a nice note.

I'm sure I could get their meals comped as Sous Chef of the restaurant.
Or at worst, just pay for it with my employee discount haha.