Thanks ABA...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Femtochemistry

Skunk Works
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
ABA website still down for "maintenance." Over 5 weeks and still no word. And the worst part of all is that I am still waiting for my CCM board results. Anyone heard anything? So frustrating!

cheers

Members don't see this ad.

ABA website still down for "maintenance." Over 5 weeks and still no word. And the worst part of all is that I am still waiting for my CCM board results. Anyone heard anything? So frustrating!

cheers
I have been trying and trying to get on and donate. Oh well!

Reactions: 3 users
From the looks of some of the other threads, it seems that this was the situation for the ABA written boards and basic science exam as well. They found their results later than usual, but by the 6th week or so. If the same is true for us, that means we should find out by the end of this week.

Members don't see this ad :)
This is inexcusable by the aba. At least explain to the public and its members what's taking so long.

Obviously there is a problem with the system migration. This is why members feel the ABA is out of touch with the times.

Originally the ABA had said it would be offline for 2 weeks. That is August 15-29th. There is a problem. We all know that. Just post on the darn board the migration is taking longer than anticipated.

Don't leave people in the dark. Quickly approaching 5 weeks now.

The middle of testing season isn't an idea time for a "system migration?"

I swear to god the ABA reads SDN. Within 24 hours of this thread, I got the email: PASSED!!!! Yay!!! No more exams for another 10 years :)

Reactions: 2 users
The physician portal is still down, but the certification directory is up.

Ya something is up. How does it take 5 weeks to upgrade a website? I wonder if they are having server issues or the IT people are fresh graduates from high school! This is so bizzar.

I expect to receive the following email from the ABA within a couple of years.

"We apologize for the inconvenience of the prolonged system migration. In keeping with our core principles, we felt that we should use board certified web designers. However, we found that there was no such board. So we created a website designer board certification committee, the American Board of Website Designers (ABWSD), with the motto of, "Providing the gateway to modern computing". Those who wished to design our new website needed to pass a written and oral examination at a cost of $1000 each, with a one time registration fee of another $1000. Because this was such a lengthy process, we were worried that some of those who had passed may not be up to date on the latest in website design, so we required them to complete forty hours of MOCA to prove ongoing competence. We grandfathered in any website designer over 40 years old who had regularly contributed to the ASAPAC. We believe that the website will now meet the high quality standards you have come to expect from the ABA."

Reactions: 1 users
Passed!! It'll be nice to not have to study for a while :)

Reactions: 2 users
Passed! Now I don't have to take another exam for another 10 ye...oh, wait. Is there a TEE exam at the end of this f*cking fellowship?!?!

...glutton for punishment

Reactions: 6 users
Passed! Now I don't have to take another exam for another 10 ye...oh, wait. Is there a TEE exam at the end of this f*cking fellowship?!?!

I told you not to do that unwarranted cardiac fellowship..........+pity+

Members don't see this ad :)
Ya something is up. How does it take 5 weeks to upgrade a website? I wonder if they are having server issues or the IT people are fresh graduates from high school! This is so bizzar.

There's no excuse for it these days. Virtualization. See how your changes will turn out before you commit to them. Then downtime needs to only be while you do that transformation. In relative terms the ABA's database is puny. It's ridiculous to have it offline for 5 weeks to do a migration. 5 weeks is how long it takes to do a paper to computer database conversion, fer cryin' out loud!

At least the TEE exam is easier than the CCM one.

It's good to see that this professional organization can manage to update their website within a timeframe which would make second-rate a Twilight fansite proud.

Keep up the stellar work, guys! :thumbup:

Just to put my mind at ease- are those of you who passed the CC exam still showing an "in the aba exam system" status when you search your name?

Hoping they just haven't updated because of this ridiculously lengthy system migration. But I would feel better knowing I'm not alone.

I have checked just now, and my colleague who passed still shows up as candidate for CCM.

Welp looks like all that MOCA money is being put to good use.

Reactions: 1 user
well the ABA site is back and running...and ya ummm it actually took these guys 5 odd weeks to "migrate" our data and "upgrade" the site. Check the site out...looks uncomfortably familiar.

Certification directory is updated for ccm

Are you sure? There are several of my colleagues I looked up who are still 'in the ABA examination system'. I hope they didn't fail... :-/

Are you sure? There are several of my colleagues I looked up who are still 'in the ABA examination system'. I hope they didn't fail... :-/

Either they did not pass or they never took the exam...

It's definitely updated. Everybody who has "in the ABA examination system" either did not show up to the exam or failed.

Expect about 15% of your colleagues to fail. Are you surprised they failed, or was it kind of predictable?

Expect about 15% of your colleagues to fail. Are you surprised they failed, or was it kind of predictable?

As critical care anesthesia is small on numbers as a whole, I only know 2 other people who even took the exam. One a former co-resident, the other a former attending. Both very bright. Because they both showed up as 'in the ABA examination system', I wasn't sure if it had updated for everyone.

I would have been surprised to see either of them fail, let alone both, but I guess you never know.

Last edited:
Including myself, there were 4 ccm/anes fellows in my class. Three of us passed it and the other fellow is sitting next year. I was told by an attending that we have not had a fellow fail in the past 5 or so years. I honestly thought I was going to be the first. That exam was so random. A lot of USMLE type of material.

Mine has both. It has a CC box that says certified and then a separate box for CC that states that I am still in examination system and I passed. Not sure what to make of the second box.

CCM folks- have you guys received your score reports?

No. Called the ABA and was told there wasn't anyone to speak to. But they gave me an email address to notify I hadn't received scores. Did that. No response.

Trying my best to keep my frustrations in check. Patience running thin.

For those who passed CCM anesth boards congrats ! Please share your experience and what sources did you find most useful for boards thanks !

No. Called the ABA and was told there wasn't anyone to speak to. But they gave me an email address to notify I hadn't received scores. Did that. No response. Trying my best to keep my frustrations in check. Patience running thin.

The feeling is mutual. I'll give them a call if I don't receive anything in the post tomorrow.....

No. Called the ABA and was told there wasn't anyone to speak to. But they gave me an email address to notify I hadn't received scores. Did that. No response.

Trying my best to keep my frustrations in check. Patience running thin.
But you know if you passed or not already, right? So what are you getting frustrated about? You gotta chill brah.

Has nothing to do with the score itself. It has everything to do with the huge sum of money I have paid this organization over the last several years.

Its funny, when I dont meet their registration deadlines, they charge me more money.

Score reports were supposedly mailed to all of us on 9/23 per the website.

When I call to clarify why I have not received mine, I am told there is no live human that can help me.

But I can email some unknown entity to inquire. Except, the entity is obviously is too busy to respond.

I get better customer service when I spend $1.99 at McDonalds than when I spend THOUSANDS of dollars with the ABA.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Just received my letter in the post. It was mailed late; probably due to the website overhaul.....and now to wait on the certificate which will take anywhere from 2 months to 2 years ;)

Got mine today too. What percentile is the minimum passing? They just give a minimum scale score.