Thanks Emed..some Of The Goodness I Speak Of

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gatorkev

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Positive Pro-pa Article
CHECK THIS OUT:

On the Verge of Death ? But Why?
Alert PA Orders Blood Test That Changes patient's Life

Nancy Verhei thought she was surely dying. She just didn't know from what. She was exhausted, her muscles ached, she had arthritic pains in her hands and hips, she was losing her hair and she was always extremely thirsty.

Nancy was only 50 years old.

She had been in and out of the doctor's office every two months for the past two years. Her lab work had always come back okay.

Then in May, 2002, she went in to see Jennifer Barlow, PA, who ordered a specialized iron test ? a ferritin test. That little test not only saved Nancy's life ? it revealed a genetic disorder that affected Nancy's entire family.

Nancy's ferritin reading was 440 ? and a normal reading for a woman ranges between 12 and 150. That high test result prompted a DNA test.

Nancy was diagnosed with hemochromatosis, which causes iron overload. First, excess iron accumulates in the liver and causes liver enlargement. Then, other organs are affected. The disease may lead to skin pigment changes, diabetes, heart problems, arthritis, testicular atrophy, cirrhosis of the liver, liver cancer, chronic abdominal pain, severe fatigue, and increased risk of certain bacterial infections. More than one million Americans don't know they have hemochromatosis. Because it takes time for iron to build up, symptoms usually don't show up until middle age. (In 2002, Kaiser Permanente's Center for Health Research participated in a study to find out who should be screened for iron overload ? and when. Study results should be available in 2005.)

Nancy's diagnosis prompted her siblings to be tested as well. Susan had a ferritin reading of 1,100. Paul had a ferritin reading of 2,900, as well as undiagnosed diabetes with a blood sugar reading of 700. Mark is a carrier with a 330 ferritin reading, and Patty's ferritin was 2,400, with triglycerides of 2,000! None of Nancy's siblings were Kaiser Permanente members, and none of them knew they had hemochromatosis. Patty and Paul could have died from the complications. Seven of Nancy's cousins have since been tested ? five had hemochromatosis.

Treatment is simple: having the blood drawn, just as it is for blood donations.

Nancy has been having her blood drawn for a little more than a year. She has also changed her diet ? no longer cooking in cast iron pans, for example, and avoiding fortified cereals. Now she is down to the point she only needs to have it drawn every three or four months. She says, "I feel like a new woman. Most of my symptoms have disappeared. When I have my blood drawn, I sit with others in the Oncology Department. I look around and feel fortunate to have Kaiser Permanente as my health provider. I don't know what I would have done without Kaiser."

Nancy wants to get the word out about hemochromatosis. "This is the most common genetic mutation ? and no one knows about it!" She adds, "I want to thank the efforts of Jennifer Barlow for saving my life and the lives of several of my family members. I feel forever grateful for Kaiser Permanente's intervention and help."

For more information on hemochromatosis, go to http://www.americanhs.org.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

11-03-2003 07:28 AM

CornellSPA

great article....
......and speaking of great articles, do not miss my interview in Shape Magazine (December 2003) p. 64! It a great plug for PA's!

President, AASPA

Report this post to a moderator

Members don't see this ad.

ok but i want to know what is the best option of treatment of hepatic cancer in patient with haemochromatosis??????