Thanks for Your 2 Cents

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

capnamerica

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I will be applying to MD programs this coming cycle. I am a Canadian citizen with US PR status. My sister is doing her residency here in Canada currently and her husband is currently doing his residency in a Florida hospital near Gainesville. As a result, is it safe to say that I have strong ties to Florida?

I was also wondering if you could take a look at my MDapps and comment on my chances of admission at American medical schools, specifically University of Florida, as it would be ideal for me to live near my sister, in order to get support should I need it.

Also, I WILL be rewriting my MCAT this summer. What MCAT score do you think I need to get accepted at an American med school?

Also, is there anything lacking with regards my ECs?

Thanks so much!

Members don't see this ad.

My sister is doing her residency here in Canada currently and her husband is currently doing his residency in a Florida hospital near Gainesville. As a result, is it safe to say that I have strong ties to Florida?

Though this will vary by committee member, if I were on the committee I'd say no.

I was also wondering if you could take a look at my MDapps and comment on my chances of admission at American medical schools, specifically University of Florida, as it would be ideal for me to live near my sister, in order to get support should I need it.
While your odds of getting into an MD school are good, your chances of being accepted to U of Florida are very poor. Though your statistics are on par with matriculants (provided you perform better on your MCAT retake), U of Florida only accepts < 3% out-of-state US applicants. This number is smaller still for international applicants. Though I encourage you to apply anyway, don't plan on getting in.

Also, I WILL be rewriting my MCAT this summer. What MCAT score do you think I need to get accepted at an American med school?
The table below will show you your chances depending on your MCAT score. In your case, a 30+ should be enough to yield a few acceptances.
https://www.aamc.org/download/157450/data/table24-mcatgpagridall2008-10.pdf.pdf

Also, is there anything lacking with regards my ECs?
No, I think your ECs are outstanding. You have a wide variety activity and a huge number of cumulative hours, well done.

Members don't see this ad :)
A 3.8/33 are the median acceptee stats for UFlorida. Non-state residents are often held to a higher standard, so the higher you can score on the MCAT, the better. Last year, there were 946 OOS applicants, of which 5 matriculated into the 2010 class.

Thanks for the reply you guys. Catalystik, I was just wondering what you think my chances of admission are at other med schools (ie. not Florida). I just want to get in somewhere...don't really care where at this point. Yes, I am that desperate.:(

I was just wondering what you think my chances of admission are at other med schools
Ask me again after your second MCAT score comes back. Right now, for MD I'd say not so good with the MCAT score of 27 and the weak VS, considering you have no forgiving in-state school to apply to. Florida does have two DO med schools; have you considered applying there?

Additionally, I'd have concerns about weak or nonexistent clinical experience with sick people, as it's not clear that you had patient interaction in the research activity. What is your plan for that? Also, do you have any hands-on, noncampus involvement in a community service that serves the wider population than your fellow students?

It would be good if you initiated the research project you designed prior to submission so it can be included on the AMCAS application.

Your leadership/mentorship, teaching, and campus involvement are superb, and will hopefully overshadow other weaknesses. You might be fine for the right school, but it's your job to create an application that will appeal to a broad number of schools to gain the greatest consideration and chance of success.

Your activities list gives the impression you'd planned to go to dental school and then changed your mind. What happened with that? Is that your backup plan?

Last edited:
Ask me again after your second MCAT score comes back. Right now, for MD I'd say not so good with the MCAT score of 27 and the weak VS, considering you have no forgiving in-state school to apply to. Florida does have two DO med schools; have you considered applying there?

Additionally, I'd have concerns about weak or nonexistent clinical experience with sick people, as it's not clear that you had patient interaction in the research activity. What is your plan for that? Also, do you have any hands-on, noncampus involvement in a community service that serves the wider population than your fellow students?

It would be good if you initiated the research project you designed prior to submission so it can be included on the AMCAS application.

Your leadership/mentorship, teaching, and campus involvement are superb, and will hopefully overshadow other weaknesses. You might be fine for the right school, but it's your job to create an application that will appeal to a broad number of schools to gain the greatest consideration and chance of success.

Your activities list gives the impression you'd planned to go to dental school and then changed your mind. What happened with that? Is that your backup plan?

Don't want to do DO as it isn't recognized internationally. I guess I am kind of screwed this cycle then...

I was planning on attending dental school up till my 2nd year, when I changed my mind to medicine. If I removed the dental school advisor position, would my application still give the impression that I want to go to dental school?

Anyways, my backup plan is a MPH if I don't get into an MD program this coming cycle.

If I removed the dental school advisor position, would my application still give the impression that I want to go to dental school?
Maybe you could rename it so it's more vague, like "prehealth advising" or some such? Either that, or have a logical progression from interest in dentistry to an interest in medicine in your Personal Statement (in which case it would be OK to mention the dentist shadowing you've done too).

Actually Catalystik, I might apply to DO schools. What do you think my chances will be at DO schools? Thanks.

Your 3.71/27 make you an excellent candidate, stats-wise, for DO schools. They too expect a decent amount of clinical experience and shadowing hours.

F#$k!!! Lack of clinical experience will be the death of my medical future!!!:mad: