The 2012-2013 Underdog Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Thats what I was afraid of, I think I will keep preparing for the MCAT and see where it goes, if Im doing good on the FLs at the end of the summer, Ill take it, if Im not, its a great way to solidify my science background for retakes.
I was going to apply this year to the one instate school in hopes of getting a guaranteed look(3.1 GPA and 23 MCAT and you are guaranteed an interview), but maybe Id just be better off waiting.

If their Sgpa requirement is low then do early admission.

Members don't see this ad.

If their Sgpa requirement is low then do early admission.

Theres no specific early admission program, but I surely could get things in right away and get in on the first round of interviews.
They dont have a specific minimum sGPA, I know the school has has admitted as low as a 26 MCAT
Thanks for the help dude, I appreciate it

Agreed. I also have a strong Osteopathic background having held positions in Pre-SOMA for 2 years and having the national director write me a letter.

Yes, but only because I got the fee waiver.

Congrats on the fee waiver. I got denied both even though I only make $24k gross per year. I guess that's not quite close enough to the poverty line.

Good luck on your apps. I guess I'll be seeing you in the secondaries threads!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hispanic, c3.14/s3.61. If I go through the retake I want to do, I can pull to 3.7 sGPA getting a B, but I don't know if I have the time considering I'm doing a summer research fellowship and the MCAT.
Even with a 25 MCAT, you won't be an underdog. If you can pull a 30+ MCAT, you will have a good shot at MD.

Congrats on the fee waiver. I got denied both even though I only make $24k gross per year. I guess that's not quite close enough to the poverty line.

Good luck on your apps. I guess I'll be seeing you in the secondaries threads!
lol thanks, but I would rather make more money and put real food on the table than apply to schools.

lol thanks, but I would rather make more money and put real food on the table than apply to schools.

I completely understand. I'm taking classes primarily to avoid having to start paying back student loans. Definitely can't afford that.

ACCOMAS wont accept my damn replacement grade because at my school we call our bio I and bio II classes intro to ____. Well I took the Bio II class at another school since the course descriptions matched up and now they wont accept it because it is a second level class versus a intro class. What the hell the course descriptions are the same....

SGPA down from a 3.22 to a 3.05

Hispanic, c3.14/s3.61. If I go through the retake I want to do, I can pull to 3.7 sGPA getting a B, but I don't know if I have the time considering I'm doing a summer research fellowship and the MCAT.

Focus on the MCAT. 3.6 vs. 3.7 matters a lot less than than 2 or 3 pts on the MCAT, unless you are already 35+.

ACCOMAS wont accept my damn replacement grade because at my school we call our bio I and bio II classes intro to ____. Well I took the Bio II class at another school since the course descriptions matched up and now they wont accept it because it is a second level class versus a intro class. What the hell the course descriptions are the same....

I can't believe that, especially when the two course descriptions were relatively the shame. That sucks, it really does. :( Now I am starting to worry about the class I just finished that I worked my ass off for (to replace a C grade to a B+ [3.5gpa]).

wow thats awful, how do you know did they email you or something?

I'm pretty sure you can appeal that though.

Ok guys im NOT trolling.....ive got a 3.64 cGPA and 3.94 sGPA. Took the mcat 5/19 ( super hard btw ) and dont have my score yet....just for my knowledge what kind of MCAT score would make me an underdog for DO?

Members don't see this ad :)
trolling. nice wow lingo.

question. do you guys think cGPA 3.77 sGPA 3.76 and a 24R (7,7,10) is an under dog?

Go put it in the underdog score equation and you tell us. Mcat is low but gpa might offset it somewhat. I say very low % md, decent % do

Ok guys im NOT trolling.....ive got a 3.64 cGPA and 3.94 sGPA. Took the mcat 5/19 ( super hard btw ) and dont have my score yet....just for my knowledge what kind of MCAT score would make me an underdog for DO?

This is why the mcat is graded against your other takers for that one test. The difficulty of the test will change between them but your percentile shouldn't deviate too much

This is why the mcat is graded against your other takers for that one test. The difficulty of the test will change between them but your percentile shouldn't deviate too much

Actually the mcat scale for every test Is pre set and does not take into account the other test takers for that test. And I felt like ps was kinda reasonable but vr and bio were just a joke they were so hard. The bs had unreasonable discretes

An UD? I think 20-22. The gpa's are above avg for md schools.

Focus on the MCAT. 3.6 vs. 3.7 matters a lot less than than 2 or 3 pts on the MCAT, unless you are already 35+.
I wish I was at 35+. I will definitely take that into consideration. I don't want to do poorly on a retake either. It might simply not be worth it.

well my science gpa is going to go down some. GAY. apparently motor development is not biomechanics even though it was upper level kins and basically the same content.

well my science gpa is going to go down some. GAY. apparently motor development is not biomechanics even though it was upper level kins and basically the same content.

Sounds like we had the same major. I took motor behavior and biomechanics as well. And yes the courses were very similar at my uni.

they took my exercise phys and a couple others like biomechanics. They should accept ALL of them but for some they arent...

cGPA: 3.417
sGPA: 3..381
MCAT: n/a yet

URM female. Lots of shadowing, loads of patient contact, lots of EC. I still have quite a few prereqs left as I'm not apply tile 2013 ( spring/summer '12 orgo 1/lab, genetics, physics 2; fall '12 chem 2 another bio; winter '12 orgo 2, chem 2 lab, biochem). But I want to get on board here early. I'm a non trad so my cGPA won't change much.

This is not true.

they took my exercise phys and a couple others like biomechanics. They should accept ALL of them but for some they arent...

I'll let you know if they did when I get verified

Poliscidoc, I am also beginning to worry that AACOMAS won't take my retakes. How were you notified of that and can you appeal it? I feel like this may be a bump in my road that will take longer for my app to be submitted... and I definitely need the retakes with a <3.0 GPA at this point

trolling. nice wow lingo.

question. do you guys think cGPA 3.77 sGPA 3.76 and a 24R (7,7,10) is an under dog?

Definitely not.

It's not really graded against other test takers. It's scaled the same for all test takers (on that day) if that's what you mean though.

Just wanted to say good luck to all the underdogs this year! I always enjoy following your stories and I am always pulling for you all!

Poliscidoc, I am also beginning to worry that AACOMAS won't take my retakes. How were you notified of that and can you appeal it? I feel like this may be a bump in my road that will take longer for my app to be submitted... and I definitely need the retakes with a <3.0 GPA at this point

When I got verified I looked at the course work section and noticed that they removed my Repeat R02 and L02 beside the class. I called and they said sorry man they sound the same but because your school doesn't do Bio I and Bio II your screwed.

cGPA: 3.417
sGPA: 3..381
MCAT: n/a yet

URM female. Lots of shadowing, loads of patient contact, lots of EC. I still have quite a few prereqs left as I'm not apply tile 2013 ( spring/summer '12 orgo 1/lab, genetics, physics 2; fall '12 chem 2 another bio; winter '12 orgo 2, chem 2 lab, biochem). But I want to get on board here early. I'm a non trad so my cGPA won't change much.

Unless avging below a 26 on the mcat, not too much of an osteo UD.

When I got verified I looked at the course work section and noticed that they removed my Repeat R02 and L02 beside the class. I called and they said sorry man they sound the same but because your school doesn't do Bio I and Bio II your screwed.

Yea they changed some of my stuff as well. I sent them a message to ask about it.

Unless avging below a 26 on the mcat, not too much of an osteo UD.
Really? Ok. Ive only taken one practice. I just know my Cgpa won't budge. I've only got my sgpa that I can "fudge".

You gonna have to get a really good mcat score (28+) to compensate for that sGPA. Why dont you send the two-class descriptions to them?

Theres no specific early admission program, but I surely could get things in right away and get in on the first round of interviews.
They dont have a specific minimum sGPA, I know the school has has admitted as low as a 26 MCAT
Thanks for the help dude, I appreciate it

Hey I'm a SD resident also....very underdog for MD...closer to 3.0 cgpa but a 3.45 sgpa and MCAT taken 5/31. I emailed USD and they said there are exceptions to their cutoffs if there are other qualities that make you competitive. I have major upward trend (3.6 cgpa without HS college credits) and worked full time in college to support family so I'm crossing my fingers that it helps! Good luck to us!

Definitely not.

It's not really graded against other test takers. It's scaled the same for all test takers (on that day) if that's what you mean though.

That's what I meant ;)

Right now I am at cGPA 3.54 and sGPA 3.51. What MCAT would put me at UD status? My avg is 26 right now for practice tests (AAMC 3,4,7). I still am doing some content review and my test is scheduled for july 6th. Any opinions on a target score to aim for? I plan to apply broadly.

right now i am at cgpa 3.54 and sgpa 3.51. What mcat would put me at ud status? My avg is 26 right now for practice tests (aamc 3,4,7). I still am doing some content review and my test is scheduled for july 6th. Any opinions on a target score to aim for? I plan to apply broadly.

ud??? 23-24

Right now I am at cGPA 3.54 and sGPA 3.51. What MCAT would put me at UD status? My avg is 26 right now for practice tests (AAMC 3,4,7). I still am doing some content review and my test is scheduled for july 6th. Any opinions on a target score to aim for? I plan to apply broadly.

with that GPA, even a 26 should open some doors for you.

with that GPA, even a 26 should open some doors for you.

You really think so? I mean I know the avg matriculant is ~26, and I'd like to think I have good ECs and LORs. With a month to go, think I can get it up to a 28? I would be pumped with that.

You really think so? I mean I know the avg matriculant is ~26, and I'd like to think I have good ECs and LORs. With a month to go, think I can get it up to a 28? I would be pumped with that.

Well, you're GPA is average at worst. If you get a 26 on the MCAT, you'll have the score of an average matriculant. Remember, every single average matriculant has one thing in common: they got into med school.