The 2012-2013 Underdog Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey there guys,
I'm at a c3.23/ s 3.08. Degree in Cellular, molecular and developmental biology from UW Seattle. My wonderful MCAT will come out in 2 days, wish me luck.

Thank you to everyone with your wonderful words of encouragement.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey there guys,
I'm at a c3.23/ s 3.08. Degree in Cellular, molecular and developmental biology from UW Seattle. My wonderful MCAT will come out in 2 days, wish me luck.

Thank you to everyone with your wonderful words of encouragement.

Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Before Postbacc sGPA and cGPA ~2.6. It was ugly.

After Postbacc with AACOMAS calculation: sGPA: 3.1 (postbacc GPA ~3.8) cGPA: 3.2

MCAT: 33Q Jan 2012

ECs: Nothing fancy, some basic lab research, volunteer EMT, worked in hospital and school clinic, tutoring...

LORs: DO letter, one professor, on PhD (Postdoc). They should be pretty good.

I think I'm an underdog because everyone has a high GPA and low MCAT, but I have a low GPA and average MCAT...also no biochem :(

Do I have a chance?

After Postbacc with AACOMAS calculation: sGPA: 3.1 (postbacc GPA ~3.8) cGPA: 3.2

ECs: Nothing fancy, some basic lab research, volunteer EMT, worked in hospital and school clinic, tutoring...

I think I'm an underdog because everyone has a high GPA and low MCAT, but I have a low GPA and average MCAT...also no biochem :(

Do I have a chance?

You have great chance of getting an acceptance if you apply early and broadly.
Are you applying this cycle or the next?

Do I have a chance?
This MCAT score is not average for DO. You are not an underdog....

Do I have a chance?

Your scores and ECs are not much different than mine. We are not underdogs.

Do I have a chance?

Committee letter?

Do PB programs typically have a committee? I didn't know that.

Most typically do now, yes. If your school offers a committee letter, and you don't have one, that's usually a red flag.

Members don't see this ad :)
Most typically do now, yes. If your school offers a committee letter, and you don't have one, that's usually a red flag.

Sure, I understand that. I just didn't know that PB programs had committees. My old undergrad won't write you a committee letter if your GPA isn't above a 3.5 and if you didn't have LORs from 2 science teachers and 1 non-science teacher sent to them beforehand. There were a few other requirements, but I don't remember them. Their reasoning was "if you don't have all these things, we cannot write you a positive recommendation."

In other words, "if you aren't a cookie cutter premed, we won't write you ****."

Committee letter?

no committee letter. i didn't have any contact with the pre-med committee at all. I am aware that this probably is a disadvantage (hence underdog) but I was forced to avoid them. It wouldn't really be in my best interest to have my committee letter at the mercy of the committee head in particular. My existing letters from the same school are solid and none of my awesome professors ever asked me why I didn't go through the process. Can't share the backstory, sorry.

does anyone know if the adcoms make a very big deal out of not having a committee letter if your school offers one? I went the alternate route of two hard science, one DO letter. Have more on hand but I believe the schools won't accept more.

Sure, I understand that. I just didn't know that PB programs had committees. My old undergrad won't write you a committee letter if your GPA isn't above a 3.5 and if you didn't have LORs from 2 science teachers and 1 non-science teacher sent to them beforehand. There were a few other requirements, but I don't remember them. Their reasoning was "if you don't have all these things, we cannot write you a positive recommendation."

In other words, "if you aren't a cookie cutter premed, we won't write you ****."

Well, I think it would be more important if your PB school had one, if they do, and you didn't get one, that may be something that gets looked at.

I realize that the process at some schools is a bit lengthy, but I guess they expect you to be on top of it. Dunno.

no committee letter. i didn't have any contact with the pre-med committee at all. I am aware that this probably is a disadvantage (hence underdog) but I was forced to avoid them. It wouldn't really be in my best interest to have my committee letter at the mercy of the committee head in particular. My existing letters from the same school are solid and none of my awesome professors ever asked me why I didn't go through the process. Can't share the backstory, sorry.

does anyone know if the adcoms make a very big deal out of not having a committee letter if your school offers one? I went the alternate route of two hard science, one DO letter. Have more on hand but I believe the schools won't accept more.

From everything I've read, and people I've spoken to, it was important, yes. Schools would expect "worthy" candidates to have the support of their school's Pre-health Committee. Again, from what I've read here, conversations with past pb's, and nontrad forums.

Completely understand and respect your privacy. Check other threads on the subject. Our pre-health dept informed us about the process, and warned us to get on top of it early.

Nothing that can't be addressed in secondary essays...

Do I have a chance?

You will be fine; post-bac work + your MCAT will get you in granted you're not a weirdo

haha, good thing my school is totally different from your school. My UG premed committee just collect the letters and send them to schools.

Felt like posting on here w/ my stats:

cgpa 3.47
sgpa 3.53
-last 90 hours have a 3.8+

MCAT: taking july 26th (practice avg. 28)

Basic EC's
-volunteer in ER (~50 2 months)
-volunteer in transportation dept.(~120 7 months)
-tutoring children in underserved program
-sending books to prisoners to read
-setting up a shadowing program for my premed club
-shadowed 2 doctors (MD and DO) ~200 hrs each
-the DO is from the 1st class at western so he said he'd call and tell them about me, idk if it'll help

I've worked as a lab tech in a private lab for 2 years running specimens for doctors...i wonder if this helps and have a CNA license that I haven't used yet due to the horrible pay

That's pretty much it, back to studying for mcat :(

cgpa 3.47
sgpa 3.53

Basic EC's
-the DO is from the 1st class at western so he said he'd call and tell them about me, idk if it'll help

I've worked as a lab tech in a private lab for 2 years running specimens for doctors...i wonder if this helps and have a CNA license that I haven't used yet due to the horrible pay

Not an UD...thanks for playing.

haha, good thing my school is totally different from your school. My UG premed committee just collect the letters and send them to schools.

Sounds like they just send a letter packet, not a true committee letter.

cgpa 3.47
sgpa 3.53

Basic EC's

you have stats good enough for low tier MD schools and with the right mcat you would almost assuredly get an acceptance at one..I dunno why you would think you're an underdog.

I have a feeling I may be an even bigger underdoggy than I thought... I have a feeling 1) AACOMAS is going to count a few sCourses as nsCourses (lowering my sGPA to 3.1) and 2) I am going to void my June 21st MCAT and retake (hopefully) late July.

I am really stuck. I haven't submitted my App yet, but as of now I only have AZCOM listed to receive an app because they don't screen and I have two MCAT scores >20 under my belt already. Should I submit it to just get verified, even with my MCAT scores perhaps not being available until late August if I do take it in July?

Another question: Are you considered only a re-applicant if you'd applied to certain schools before, or are you considered a reapp after submitting just to AACOMAS before? :scared:

This MCAT is killing me. On BR practice sections I am averaging 8-10s, but on my AAMC tests I am averaging 7s (besides VR, which are 9 and 10s). *sigh*

I have a feeling I may be an even bigger underdoggy than I thought... I have a feeling 1) AACOMAS is going to count a few sCourses as nsCourses (lowering my sGPA to 3.1) and 2) I am going to void my June 21st MCAT and retake (hopefully) late July.

I am really stuck. I haven't submitted my App yet, but as of now I only have AZCOM listed to receive an app because they don't screen and I have two MCAT scores >20 under my belt already. Should I submit it to just get verified, even with my MCAT scores perhaps not being available until late August if I do take it in July?

Another question: Are you considered only a re-applicant if you'd applied to certain schools before, or are you considered a reapp after submitting just to AACOMAS before? :scared:

This MCAT is killing me. On BR practice sections I am averaging 8-10s, but on my AAMC tests I am averaging 7s (besides VR, which are 9 and 10s). *sigh*
You are a reapplicant if you have applied in a cycle before.

Hey fellow UDs! I have been verified with only one school on my list. I have a very low science gpa, no mcat yet. Should I still stick to this strategy, or add on my other 15 schools? Have any of you seen the advantage of holding off on sending my application to other schools?

I think I may no longer be an underdog pending verification my grades. Last year when I applied I didn't know about the repeated coursework thing for post bac students. Using that it looks like my science Gpa is 3.35, cum 3.25. New mcat score is 31R. I feel like despite being a re-applicant I should have a good shot this time. Thoughts?

I think I may no longer be an underdog pending verification my grades. Last year when I applied I didn't know about the repeated coursework thing for post bac students. Using that it looks like my science Gpa is 3.35, cum 3.25. New mcat score is 31R. I feel like despite being a re-applicant I should have a good shot this time. Thoughts?

what was your score last time?

Whatever it may have been, I do feel like you've got a good shot this year, great job!!

What is my UD status looking like?

MCAT: 24 (10 PS, 6 VR, 8 BS)
cGPA: 3.75
sGPA: 3.46

IMO, you are an UD, b/c that MCAT is on the low side. It's odd though, b/c if you could figure out how to bring up that VR by a couple points, and squeeze another point out of BS, you'd have a solid shot at an MD school next year (depending on your state school's stats, etc.). Assuming your EC's are solid as well.

Hey fellow UDs! I have been verified with only one school on my list. I have a very low science gpa, no mcat yet. Should I still stick to this strategy, or add on my other 15 schools? Have any of you seen the advantage of holding off on sending my application to other schools?

what's "very low?"

is there a list of 10 schools underdawgs should apply to, obviously their r ones not to apply to based on regional bias, but it seems like the rest are all pretty similar in what the require in matriculates.

sGPA 3.2 MCAT 10P/6V/9B 25O, third time taken 21,22,25
EMT, CNA, CPR
100 Dr shadow
400 Community Vol
EC's

I think i have Ar residency.
my List
ACOM
CUSOM
MUCOM
ATSU-SOMA
GA-PCOM
KCUMB-COM
LECOM PA ERIE
LECOM BRADENTON
LMU-DCOM
WCUCOM
WVSOM

what was your score last time?

Whatever it may have been, I do feel like you've got a good shot this year, great job!!

28R
9PS 10VR 9BS

new score
12PS 8VR 11BS

if schools used cumulative scores that'd be great! I'm not really sure what happened with VR this time. I knew I did badly but didn't expect that badly.
Thanks! Now i just have to decide where to apply!

What is my UD status looking like?

MCAT: 24 (10 PS, 6 VR, 8 BS)
cGPA: 3.75
sGPA: 3.46

I think that 6 on VR and you overall score of 24 makes you an underdog. Your excellent GPA will open some doors for you. For someone smart enough to have that GPA, i am sure you are capable of raising your score with a retake.

cgpa 3.47
sgpa 3.53

Basic EC's

you arent a UD imo. in 48 states, you are a good applicant. but in CA and TX, which im not familiar with, i have no idea. could be UD. could be ok. in any case, kick ass on the mcat and you'll wont have to sweat getting an interview

you have stats good enough for low tier MD schools and with the right mcat you would almost assuredly get an acceptance at one..I dunno why you would think you're an underdog.

I think I enjoy the morale and help everyone provides. I checked on the previous UD threads frequently for motivation so that's why I like it. If I can't be one then I'll definitely be a supporter.

28R
9PS 10VR 9BS

new score
12PS 8VR 11BS

if schools used cumulative scores that'd be great! I'm not really sure what happened with VR this time. I knew I did badly but didn't expect that badly.
Thanks! Now i just have to decide where to apply!

You're not a UD either.

With an MCAT 3-4pts below avg DO matriculants??

Meh, maybe you're right. Avg.

26 is average, not 27-28.

Do I have a chance?

Can I ask which PostBacc you attended?

Should I consider myself as underdog with such a low MCAT?
3.74sGPA / 3.79cGPA
26Q MCAT, 10PS/5VS/11BS
Retaking on 7/6.

Recent graduate from undergrad. Started shadowing in May, and used to volunteer in a research lab but volunteering at a hospital now with pt contact.

Last edited:
Should I consider myself as underdog with such a low MCAT?
3.74sGPA / 3.79cGPA
26Q MCAT, 10PS/5VS/11BS
Retaking on 7/6.

Recent graduate from undergrad. Started shadowing in May, and used to volunteer in a research lab but volunteering at a hospital now with pt contact.

not an underdog, but fix the verbal and you have a great shot!

First post, been lurking for some time, and thanks to everyone that has helped others with their questions. It has helped me tons as well! Really appreciate it.

Had bad freshman/sophomore semesters, and had no idea what I wanted to do with my life, but I was aiming for a bio degree. Was working most of the time, still am working, and I have managed to pull off a sGPA 3.7, and 3.7 cGPA during my junior/senior semesters once I transferred.

However, due to my poor performance prior to transferring, my official GPAs drop to:

sGPA: 3.13, cGPA: 3.09
MCAT: TBD

Not sure how significant upward trends are when it comes to reviewing applications, and if they take working part time into consideration (worked as a Marketing Analyst for 3 years, and Administrative Assistant for 4)

Anyway, thanks again everyone.

Edit:

Just to add on:

Have volunteered at 3 medical facilities (~ 482 hours), shadowed a primary care physician for over a year, and a plastic surgeon for ~ 4 months.

Have 5 letter of recs (Organic Chem I/II professor, undergrad research professor, the primary care physician, the plastic surgeon, and my boss that I have worked for since 06')

Not sure what else to do at this point, except to do as well as I possibly can on the MCAT.

Thanks again, any feedback would be great.

Good luck to all the underdogs.

Last edited: