The 2012-2013 Underdog Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Good luck Underdogs! I'll be cheering for all of you and perhaps may even join you depending on my MCAT score later this summer.

Members don't see this ad.

Well, I have been aware of this post for a while, and happy that I am now applying and wanted to give my stats. CGPA 3.19, SGPA 3.55 MCAT 32 M. Happy to be applying and hopefully we can all get in. Also I have a disciplinary suspension for a fight from 8-9 years ago when I first began college but hopefully that will be an obstacle I can overcome,

Well, I have been aware of this post for a while, and happy that I am now applying and wanted to give my stats. CGPA 3.19, SGPA 3.55 MCAT 32 M. Happy to be applying and hopefully we can all get in. Also I have a disciplinary suspension for a fight from 8-9 years ago when I first began college but hopefully that will be an obstacle I can overcome,

Nice mcat! We all make mistakes, hopefully they can see past em! Goodluck :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey I am looking at this formula you guys are using and I am just wondering how you decided what factor to multiply the gpas with. Is that a formula that you have heard medical school using before?

Hey I am looking at this formula you guys are using and I am just wondering how you decided what factor to multiply the gpas with. Is that a formula that you have heard medical school using before?

dont worry about a formula. just post your stats if you think you are an underdog

Your stats are fine. And your institutional action, while raising a flag, was many years ago and can be attributed to being a young guy. You'll be fine.

did you win? J/K

My buddy got in last cycle with a similar 'blemish'...one thing he did, not sure if it helped or not, was to get an extra LOR from someone who vouched for his character (in his case, a church leader who had known him for a long time, and talked about how he has matured)

I personally think that yours is so long ago that it will have little if any impact

Good luck everyone!

As for me, I got a 24N (P/V/B 7/9/8) on my 4th and most recent attempt on the MCAT with a 3.77 GPA. I had no idea how to study for it the first couple times around and got really bad anxiety about it as a result. All excuses aside, I only talked to AZCOM (dream school) so far and they said they only really look at the most recent/ highest. I was pretty excited until they told me they didnt accept anyone with less than a 27 last year! Their average is only 28, I don't see how that makes much sense. I just hope I get in somewhere, though! =/ With that 24, my LizzyM score would be a 98.2 so its still higher than the average matriculant, I guess. I am still extremely nervous, however.

Good luck everyone!

As for me, I got a 24N (P/V/B 7/9/8) on my 4th and most recent attempt on the MCAT with a 3.77 GPA. I had no idea how to study for it the first couple times around and got really bad anxiety about it as a result. All excuses aside, I only talked to AZCOM (dream school) so far and they said they only really look at the most recent/ highest. I was pretty excited until they told me they didnt accept anyone with less than a 27 last year! Their average is only 28, I don't see how that makes much sense. I just hope I get in somewhere, though! =/ With that 24, my LizzyM score would be a 98.2 so its still higher than the average matriculant, I guess. I am still extremely nervous, however.

with such a high GPA, i think you should apply to less competitive schools especially the new schools. I will not be surprised if you get multiple interviews. check out last years underdog thread

with such a high GPA, i think you should apply to less competitive schools especially the new schools. I will not be surprised if you get multiple interviews. check out last years underdog thread

I'll definitely check it out! What are some of the "less competitive" schools, you are referring to?

Heres my school list so far:

ATSU-SOMA
AZCOM
Nova
Pacific Northwest
Rocky Vista
Touro (Ca & NV)
Pikeville
West Virginia
Western Univ (both OR & CA)

Do I got a shot?

Last edited:
I'll definitely check it out! What are some of the "less competitive" schools, you are referring to?

Look at last yr's UD thread and see where people with similar numbers scored interviews.

Good luck everyone!

You should apply wherever you want. 24 is not that bad considering the average for the top programs is a 27 or 28. With the higher than average GPA, you balance out. Hopefully you have strong EC.

You should apply wherever you want. 24 is not that bad considering the average for the top programs is a 27 or 28. With the higher than average GPA, you balance out. Hopefully you have strong EC.

on second thought , i completely agree with this! just make sure you apply broadly.

Members don't see this ad :)

:xf: I have a lot of EC's, but no research unfortunately. I did work in a lab for a while though. I was vice president for the Health Occupations Students of America club at my school (did a lot of cool stuff with that), I fed the homeless every week for about two years, shadowed 3 doctors, volunteered in the ER for about a year, and played college basketball. A few others but those are the highlights.

:xf: I have a lot of EC's, but no research unfortunately. I did work in a lab for a while though. I was vice president for the Health Occupations Students of America club at my school (did a lot of cool stuff with that), I fed the homeless every week for about two years, shadowed 3 doctors, volunteered in the ER for about a year, and played college basketball. A few others but those are the highlights.

Above average EC's
About average stats

Apply broadly

Research is not essential for Osteopathic programs.

Research is not essential for Osteopathic programs.

Right, I just feel like I see too often (on SDN anyways) that people that are applying to an Osteopathic program have publications and such.

But, thanks for advice guys! Was my initial list broad enough? I'm not 100% sure on what that means lol.

Good luck everyone!

Your LizzyM is higher than mine and I'm not an underdog.

Apply anywhere you want.

After today's MCAT looks like I'll be adding my name here in a few weeks. Sigh.

What do you guys think?

Both my science and cumulative GPAs are 3.3. I'm registered for the 7/6 mcat. I have taken the first four AAMC's and my average is in the low twenties. I think I can improve my score by practicing and taking more FL's until my test day, but I'm not sure the improvement will be enough to get me in some schools.

My plan is to still take the test, submit my primaries to only schools I don't care about being reject from (aka the three new ones), and continue studying while waiting for my score. If I score 25+ with no section less than 6, I will go ahead and add on more schools. If my score is below 25, or if I bomb verbal, I will retake in August.

What do you guys think?

Both my science and cumulative GPAs are 3.3. I'm registered for the 7/6 mcat. I have taken the first four AAMC's and my average is in the low twenties. I think I can improve my score by practicing and taking more FL's until my test day, but I'm not sure the improvement will be enough to get me in some schools.

My plan is to still take the test, submit my primaries to only schools I don't care about being reject from (aka the three new ones), and continue studying while waiting for my score. If I score 25+ with no section less than 6, I will go ahead and add on more schools. If my score is below 25, or if I bomb verbal, I will retake in August.

I would only apply to one school, your least desirable for now in case of an auto reject. Also, do not take the MCAT if you are not at least scoring 26-27 or higher on practice exams, so postpone if necessary. Many people do worse on the actual exam than their practice.

Those three new schools may not be your top choices. But with a 3.3 and a mid twenties MCAT they may be the only schools you are reasonably competitive at.

I would only apply to one school, your least desirable for now in case of an auto reject. Also, do not take the MCAT if you are not at least scoring 26-27 or higher on practice exams, so postpone if necessary. Many people do worse on the actual exam than their practice.

Those three new schools may not be your top choices. But with a 3.3 and a mid twenties MCAT they may be the only schools you are reasonably competitive at.

If I'm going to postpone, I will postpone to August. I don't think I will benefit much by pushing my mcat by only three weeks.

Will August MCAT be considered late?

If I'm going to postpone, I will postpone to August. I don't think I will benefit much by pushing my mcat by only three weeks.

Will August MCAT be considered late?

If you study the right way, three weeks is a lot of time to improve your score.

Your LizzyM is higher than mine and I'm not an underdog.

Apply anywhere you want.

Thanks, man! I guess I just feel like an underdog now since AZCOM said they don't let anyone in with less than 27. Some holistic approach, huh? lol but if I remember right your MCAT was a 33, so even though my "LizzyM" (or whatever that formula above is) score is better than yours, I'd imagine they'd be much more inclined to let you in!

Thanks, man! I guess I just feel like an underdog now since AZCOM said they don't let anyone in with less than 27. Some holistic approach, huh? lol but if I remember right your MCAT was a 33, so even though my "LizzyM" (or whatever that formula above is) score is better than yours, I'd imagine they'd be much more inclined to let you in!

Wait where does it say that they don't let anyone in with less than a 27?! :scared:

Wait where does it say that they don't let anyone in with less than a 27?! :scared:

I feel the same exact way!! I called their admissions office yesterday and she said last year no one was accepted with a score less than 27, and the majority of matriculants had 30's. How does that make sense if their AVERAGE is 28?

Yea sounds pretty sketch to me lol do you live in the area, or west coast? A lot of their matriculants are from the west coast i noticed

Yea sounds pretty sketch to me lol do you live in the area, or west coast? A lot of their matriculants are from the west coast i noticed

Yeah I live about 5-10 minutes from the school lol stupid MCAT!! +pity+

AZCOM weighs the MCAT more favorably than GPA. Confirmed during my interview last cycle when one of the interviewers mentioned to me that the Dean is trying to push the average MCAT score of matriculants higher.

Also example: Me (2016) - 2.96 sGPA 3.14 cGPA 33Q
DbDan (2015) - 2.9ish GPAs, 33Q

However, I doubt they are only looking at 27+. I remember reading somewhere last cycle that someone with a 25 got an interview.

AZCOM weighs the MCAT more favorably than GPA. Confirmed during my interview last cycle when one of the interviewers mentioned to me that the Dean is trying to push the average MCAT score of matriculants higher.

Also example: Me (2016) - 2.96 sGPA 3.14 cGPA 33Q
DbDan (2015) - 2.9ish GPAs, 33Q

However, I doubt they are only looking at 27+. I remember reading somewhere last cycle that someone with a 25 got an interview.

I wonder if that person got an acceptance... if it was the person in last years UD thread, it didnt specify.

That really sucks though =/ Using the formula from the UD thread ((sGPA*10) + (cGPA*10) + MCAT) for midwestern matriculants would be 97... With my stats I'm 98. Someone show that formula to the admissions committee! lol Good luck, everyone!

I wonder if that person got an acceptance... if it was the person in last years UD thread, it didnt specify.

That really sucks though =/ Using the formula from the UD thread ((sGPA*10) + (cGPA*10) + MCAT) for midwestern matriculants would be 97... With my stats I'm 98. Someone show that formula to the admissions committee! lol Good luck, everyone!

Right? I have a score of 102....but my mcat is 26. AZCOM is my top choice too. Im gonna withdraw my app if they wont take a 26 instead of a 27....

Right? I have a score of 102....but my mcat is 26. AZCOM is my top choice too. Im gonna withdraw my app if they wont take a 26 instead of a 27....

Stay in the game, especially if AZCOM is your top choice. You never know what will happen.

Stay in the game, especially if AZCOM is your top choice. You never know what will happen.

Right? I have a score of 102....but my mcat is 26. AZCOM is my top choice too. Im gonna withdraw my app if they wont take a 26 instead of a 27.... [/QUOTE said:
Yeah, thats true. Hopefully since we are applying early we will get some love from them. If they let both of us in,all they have to do is let in one person with a 30 and another with a 33 and their average will still be 28. :xf: Has AACOMAS received your MCAT scores yet, hopeful?

Yeah, thats true. Hopefully since we are applying early we will get some love from them. If they let both of us in,all they have to do is let in one person with a 30 and another with a 33 and their average will still be 28. :xf: Has AACOMAS received your MCAT scores yet, hopeful?

Nah they havent yet which is irritating. I sent them on the 19th. You?

Negative... I sent the 19th as well. I don't understand why its not instantaneous... Its electronic lol

Right? It doesnt matter though aacomas has screwed something up and the first batch of apps hasnt gone out yet anyway.

cGPA 3.3
sGPA 3.3
MCAT (1ST) 230
MCAT(2ND)--waiting.

The only thing I have really going for me is that I have a ton of work experience including working on an ambulance for four years and being an ER scribe for one. Stupid MCAT.

MCAT took me 2-3 days to get to AACOMAS so I'd say it's typical. It's not like the two systems are interlinked and instantaneous. I bet someone still verifies manually.

You have a point. Then, I think I should apply to one of regionally biased schools just to have my application verified, and once I have scored well on the mcat, I add on the other schools.

I truly don't think postponing three more weeks will benefit me much. It's only verbal that is killing my score, and three weeks of practicing is not likely to raise my verbal score.

I am really confused and today is the last day I can postpone.

MCAT took me 2-3 days to get to AACOMAS so I'd say it's typical. It's not like the two systems are interlinked and instantaneous. I bet someone still verifies manually.

Yea, that makes sense if someone has to still verify it manually. I would just think it wouldn't be any different (speed wise) than like an email or something lol

Me and several other applicants I know had to call AACOMAS to get our MCAT scores through. It should only be taking 2-3 days but it was well over a week. AACOMAS said that they were having a glitch in their system so I'd give them a call if it's been more than 4-5 business days. it only took a minute for them to fix it.

I just postponed my July 6th mcat test to September. My last practice test (AAMC 9) was 24 (10PS, 6VR, 8BS) and I dont think I can improve that VR score to an 8+ in two weeks. I figure out that it would be better to get an MCAT score of 27+ in September than a 23-24 in July. I think that my application might look stronger with a 27+ instead of a 23-24 even late in the cycle since my GPAs are not that good (3.15cGPA, 3.28sGPA). I am an URM. Looking at the stats for URM in the first page of this thread, I see that even with a 24 mcat, I would be OK but I dont wanna take any chances. Was that a smart move to postpone? What do you think?

I just postponed my July 6th mcat test to September. My last practice test (AAMC 9) was 24 (10PS, 6VR, 8BS) and I dont think I can improve that VR score to an 8+ in two weeks. I figure out that it would be better to get an MCAT score of 27+ in September than a 23-24 in July. I think that my application might look stronger with a 27+ instead of a 23-24 even late in the cycle since my GPAs are not that good (3.15cGPA, 3.28sGPA). I am an URM. Looking at the stats for URM in the first page of this thread, I see that even with a 24 mcat, I would be OK but I dont wanna take any chances. Was that a smart move to postpone? What do you think?

I think you would have stood a chance with 24 if you apply early. Your PS and BS are good enough. Besides, I believe you can still improve these two sections by July 6.

I am in similar position, and decided not to postpone. I will still take the July 6th and continue studying, just in case I need to retake in August or September, I would be ready.

Anyways, good luck, and never give up :)

I think you would have stood a chance with 24 if you apply early. Your PS and BS are good enough. Besides, I believe you can still improve these two sections by July 6.

I am in similar position, and decided not to postpone. I will still take the July 6th and continue studying, just in case I need to retake in August or September, I would be ready.

Anyways, good luck, and never give up :)

3.15cGPA, 3.28sGPA and 24 on the MCAT are not very competitive. I think I read somewhere on SDN that DO schools don't care as much about URM status as the MD schools do. I think the decision to postpone was a very good one. Better to apply bit later with stronger stats then early with below average stats.

Yea, well my GPA is a 3.22/3.18. It seems like GPA has been a tad more important than MCAT in past years.

3.15cGPA, 3.28sGPA and 24 on the MCAT are not very competitive. I think I read somewhere on SDN that DO schools don't care as much about URM status as the MD schools do. I think the decision to postpone was a very good one. Better to apply bit later with stronger stats then early with below average stats.
These data suggest that they do care about URM status especially AA but I don't wanna take any chances.

AACOM Data on Averages for Matriculation by Race 2011

Data posted as cGPA | sGPA | MCAT.
Click on this text for the source document.

White: 3.50 | 3.38 | 26.52

Asian: 3.45 | 3.33 | 27.11

Hispanic/Latino: 3.45 | 3.33 | 25.30

Multiple Races (No Hispanic in the calculation): 3.44 | 3.28 | 26.37

Black/African-American: 3.32 | 3.14 | 22.31

Foreign: 3.46 | 3.41 | 28.35

Native American: 3.52 | 3.37 | 25.33

so basically hispanic gets very little advantage, asians/white people have it the hardest, and if you're black you just have to be breathing during the mcat to reach matriculation status...oh ok.

so basically hispanic gets very little advantage, asians/white people have it the hardest, and if you're black you just have to be breathing during the mcat to reach matriculation status...oh ok.

lmfao cole i should slap you
:laugh:

This guy started some racist crap on another thread so I recommend you all just ignore him...he seems to get a rise out of throwing his ignorance around...

calm down he just has a sense of humor (which most of you seem to lack), it's a forum guys, stop taking things too personal. laugh once in a while, applications have you all uptight :p <3