The 2012-2013 Underdog Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
also a side note, I think I had the lowest applicant score on the spreadsheet from last years underdog thread of those who were accepted, so it's possible people!!

Members don't see this ad.

3.34 cGPA, 3.28 sGPA, MCAT TBD 05/15/2012. Best of luck to all!

I enjoyed last year's thread and it gave me hope. So, I thought I would chime in for this cycle:

3.37 cGPA 3.21sGPA 31Q (13 8 10)

Members don't see this ad :)
3.22 cgpa, 3.4sgpa, mcat TBD 5/31.
1st year of classes holding me down (1.65 gpa!) since then 4 years with cgpa of 3.6. How many DO schools are all of you applying to? My MD gpa would be closer to 3.0 :( so Im only applying to in-state school which is VERY regional biased (south dakota) and to north dakota. So Im wondering how many DO schools I should shoot for. Thanks!

An MD underdog, maybe not DO.

I sure feel like one: 8 years out of college, CA resident who had to use 7 grade replacements over the last two years... I guess I can post in the success stories if I get in this cycle. =)

I sure feel like one: 8 years out of college, CA resident who had to use 7 grade replacements over the last two years... I guess I can post in the success stories if I get in this cycle. =)

im sure youll get into one DO school at least; my gpas are even lower than yours ;p.I pray that my mcat is at least a 31 like yours though.

I'm rooting for you underdogs! Especially you junkfoosow, those gpas are underdoggish if ever there were some but way to hit it out of the park on the MCAT! When you get your acceptance it'll give a lot of hope to the rest!

Members don't see this ad :)
idk if ima underdog or not, but 18 years old, no committee letter, average ECs/Work during school,small scholarships etc all the norm, and 3.8cGPA, 3.62 sGPA. MCAT in July and no idea what I'ma get, but hopefully trying to break any score to at least matriculate for Gods sake

GPA isn't low enough to consider you an underdog. Come back if you get sub 24.

2.4 cGpa
2.7 sGPa
35 mcat

I'd say I am an underdog lol :(
Even with that rockin' MCAT you will get screened out due to both of your GPAs... You need to take some time to retake those classes, I would advise against applying this cycle.

Even with that rockin' MCAT you will get screened out due to both of your GPAs... You need to take some time to retake those classes, I would advise against applying this cycle.

Tis true. Most schools have a 2.75 minimum.

I'm rooting for you underdogs! Especially you junkfoosow, those gpas are underdoggish if ever there were some but way to hit it out of the park on the MCAT! When you get your acceptance it'll give a lot of hope to the rest!

I appreciate your optimism! Hopefully it is a matter of when I get my acceptance like you said, not IF :(

I really don't want to get behind/get more in debt. I'd rather start medical school ASAP so I am seriously considering applying to Caribbeans even though I keep hearing its a bad idea

I really don't want to get behind/get more in debt. I'd rather start medical school ASAP so I am seriously considering applying to Caribbeans even though I keep hearing its a bad idea
You'll be more in debt when you can't find a job.

You'll be more in debt when you can't find a job.
My sentiment exactly. Honestly as pre-meds we really don't know what area we will end up specializing in, so taking the opportunity of attending a US DO program far outweighs going Caribbean imo.

Why does anyone go to the Caribbean then? And what about all the Carib schools that boast about their high residency placement rates?
Because a lot of people are misinformed or truly desperate gambling it. Both seem to be reasons driving you to consider it. Just like a politician, don't trust them based on talk. Trust based on evidence. 50% don't make it past MS2. About 25% of the original class of Caribbean students match each year, near exclusively at primary care because the specialty door is closed to them. Please research this thoroughly before accepting a Caribbean degree. If by then end you still feel it's right for you, I hope it works out for you.

I disagree. I know many people who went to Ross/StG, some are Family Practice, some are ER doc's and one is Anestetiologist. The problem is that people who are not cut out for medical school, will go to caribbean and expect an easy way to become a doctor. The truth is, there isn't an easy way to become a doctor. I think if you go to the caribbean, but you are an overall a good candidate but you have one thing lacking, like an MCAT score. You can be very successful. Ross/StG constantly release stats on residency matchings, there are people who get radiology, derm, ER, and other competitive residencies. I dont know about you guys, but I cannot see my self doing anything besides medicine. If it came down to it, you have to do whatever is necessary to achieve your dreams. If you want it bad enough, you will get it done however its necessary.

cGPA: 3.65, sGPA: 3.45, publications, research, medical mission to central america, volunteering, shadowing, MCAT:TBD, but practices were 21-26.

I disagree. I know many people who went to Ross/StG, some are Family Practice, some are ER doc's and one is Anestetiologist. The problem is that people who are not cut out for medical school, will go to caribbean and expect an easy way to become a doctor. The truth is, there isn't an easy way to become a doctor. I think if you go to the caribbean, but you are an overall a good candidate but you have one thing lacking, like an MCAT score. You can be very successful. Ross/StG constantly release stats on residency matchings, there are people who get radiology, derm, ER, and other competitive residencies. I dont know about you guys, but I cannot see my self doing anything besides medicine. If it came down to it, you have to do whatever is necessary to achieve your dreams. If you want it bad enough, you will get it done however its necessary.
They had 1 derm in Canada in a period of like 20 years, so that's pretty bad to say the least. Sure, some people do well from the Caribbean, but that doesn't mean the majority do. This idea that it's the lazies that fail is prevailing, but the fact is that having 75% of your class not making it through or getting residency is failure beyond the individual. And what the hell is an Aneteliologist?

cGPA: 3.65, sGPA: 3.45, publications, research, medical mission to central america, volunteering, shadowing, MCAT:TBD, but practices were 21-26.
Doesn't qualify for underdog unless you score a 23 or below.

Well, I will start the new underdog thread for the upcoming cycle. I hope everyone get accept into at least one school. I have a lot of free time upcoming summer/fall semester. I will not apply this cycle, but the 2013-2014 cycle.Good luck everyone!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Copied from DJACK thread
"Please consider your statistics before posting in the thread. Each person has their own definition of what an Underdog is or should be. However, posting that you think you are an Underdog with a 32+ MCAT and a 3.5+ GPA doesn't exactly qualify you as one, and doesn't help anyone who is going to really struggle to get in.

When posting statistics to share on this thread, please post as like this:
sdn name- cGPA, sGPA, MCAT
That way this year we can also ensure everyone can use both the cGPA and sGPA as a reference, as well as the MCAT.

The Underdogs had great success last year and hopefully this year we can keep it up!
The Underdogs of 2012
SDN name/cGPA/sGPA/MCAT

MedPR: 3.20, 3.22, 28
Colesmalls: 3.26 3.23 TBD
mfas: 2.95, 3.48, 25
NurWollen: 3.46, 3.19, 29
DocFelt: 3.20 3.20 TBD (June 21st)
underdog12: 3.15, 2.95, 34
Temperature101: 3.15 , 3.28 TBD
Ibn Alnafis MD: 3.33, 3.35 TBD
wildcard0187: 3.24, 3.04 TBD
physcigirl27: 3.1, 2.66 28
LPpostbacc 3.14/3.76/TBD
Alexandriagrece: 3.46,3.32, 23T
Camshark: 3.22, 3.4 TBD
junkfoosow: 2.4, 2.7, 35
[/B]

I'm going to start this just to make sure it goes correctly. Whoever goes next feel free to delete my name/stats since I apparently don't qualify as an underdog even though I feel like one.

The Underdogs of 2012
SDN name/cGPA/sGPA/MCAT
MedPR: 3.20, 3.22, 28

All of these are way above 23 Mcat

They had 1 derm in Canada in a period of like 20 years, so that's pretty bad to say the least. Sure, some people do well from the Caribbean, but that doesn't mean the majority do. This idea that it's the lazies that fail is prevailing, but the fact is that having 75% of your class not making it through or getting residency is failure beyond the individual. And what the hell is an Aneteliologist?

Thats Canada, from what I read, it is MUCH more competitive to get into a Med School in Canada then in the States. The problem is, the caribbean will accept almost anyone, most people are not smart or motivated enough to do it. The end result is the drop out/unsuccessful rate. Person with a high gpa, driven, motivated but has a bad MCAT score can be successful. I think its what you make of it, its not easy, you have to jump through more hoops. However, if you want it bad enough and are prepared for the hard work, you will be fine. Its the LAST, LAST case scenario.

All of these are way above 23 Mcat
Yes, but you have both a cGPA and an sGPA above the average of D.O. matriculation. I would suggest next time you ask why someone has that opinion instead of putting forth an attitude of "you're wrong."

Thats Canada, from what I read, it is MUCH more competitive to get into a Med School in Canada then in the States. The problem is, the caribbean will accept almost anyone, most people are not smart or motivated enough to do it. The end result is the drop out/unsuccessful rate. Person with a high gpa, driven, motivated but has a bad MCAT score can be successful. I think its what you make of it, its not easy, you have to jump through more hoops. However, if you want it bad enough and are prepared for the hard work, you will be fine. Its the LAST, LAST case scenario.
Sure, it is harder to get into Canada. I don't see what point you're trying to make. It has nothing to do with the only match that has existed in 20 years for both US and Canada.

Fine, believe as you wish about the Caribbean. In fact, please go there. Many of us here in the forums have seen the actual data and discussed it ad nauseam, so we know the difference between your opinion and the facts. Believe it or not, St. George's actually has some pretty decent GPA/MCAT averages.

Sure, it is harder to get into Canada. I don't see what point you're trying to make. It has nothing to do with the only match that has existed in 20 years for both US and Canada.

Fine, believe as you wish about the Caribbean. In fact, please go there. Many of us here in the forums have seen the actual data and discussed it ad nauseam, so we know the difference between your opinion and the facts. Believe it or not, St. George's actually has some pretty decent GPA/MCAT averages.

Would you mind sharing the data/previous threads? I would love to read more info and people's stories. I never claim to know everything, just saying what I heard from people that went through out and came out successful.

Yes, but you have both a cGPA and an sGPA above the average of D.O. matriculation. I would suggest next time you ask why someone has that opinion instead of putting forth an attitude of "you're wrong."

Misread that initially, apologies :love:

I hear ya, no one wants to wait to get into school but you have to replace those classes. No question. Like others have said, don't go carrib, heres a little reading for you if you are thinking about the carrib, sad story:

http://2medschool.blogspot.com/
http://4medschool.blogspot.com/
http://6medschool.blogspot.com/

This is one of the few decent threads on this often poisonous forum for pre-meds. I would like to add myself in the hopes that I can one day empower someone in my shoes that they can do it.

as1212559 cGPA 3.3, sGPA 3.0, MCAT 29

I hear ya, no one wants to wait to get into school but you have to replace those classes. No question. Like others have said, don't go carrib, heres a little reading for you if you are thinking about the carrib, sad story:

http://2medschool.blogspot.com/
http://4medschool.blogspot.com/
http://6medschool.blogspot.com/

I was at SGU for a year doing an MPH, I was supposed to start their MD program this past January but I left (hints my name on here). I retook the MCAT and re-applied to DO schools and thank the good lord above got in. It wasn't for me and wasn't that great but I believe it isnt as bad as some people make it out to be. SGU has produced many successful doctors they just do things differently. If anyone is serious about applying feel free to PM.

If you're looking for the underdogs, scroll down or click here: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=12487491&postcount=2 It will be yellowperil that will be in charge of keeping the scores updated.

If you're looking for the College Information Book (the MSAR of the DO world), click here: http://www.aacom.org/resources/bookstore/cib/Pages/default.aspx

Please follow proper procedure by giving your cGPA, sGPA, and MCAT. If no MCAT, please write TBD.

For this year, I recommend for you to make an MDApplicants.com profile that yellowperil can then post with your name to have better tracking of your trials and tribulations. Remember, part of the goal in this project is so that next year's underdogs get as much information as possible.

AACOM Data on Averages for Matriculation by Race 2011

Data here is posted as cGPA, sGPA and MCAT. It originates from here: http://www.aacom.org/data/applicantsmatriculants/Documents/2011Matriculantsummary.pdf

White: 3.50 | 3.38 | 26.52

Asian: 3.45 | 3.33 | 27.11

Hispanic/Latino: 3.45 | 3.33 | 25.30

Multiple Races (No Hispanic in the calculation): 3.44 | 3.28 | 26.37

Black/African-American: 3.32 | 3.14 | 22.31

Foreign: 3.46 | 3.41 | 28.35

Native American: 3.52 | 3.37 | 25.33

In general, I would call an underdog someone under these standards:

1) Have at least 2 variables under the average with 1 a standard deviation below.

2) Anyone applying late-November and beyond.

3) Average or below student with no (or nearly no) Clinical Volunteering or Shadowing.

4) Someone with a criminal record.

5) An Osteopathic re-applicant with nearly nothing new to add this year.

These are by no means "fixed," so feel free to post and someone will likely assess your chances.

School Averages (it might take me some time to find all these with sources. Please help.)
I decided to put these here to help you guys with applying. Italics in the name means region bias.

-A.T. Still University, Kirksville |
-A.T. Still University, AZ |
-Alabama College of Osteopathic Medicine, AL | first year taking students
-Arizona College of Osteopathic Medicine | 3.51 | 3.46 | 28
-Campbell University School of Osteopathic Medicine, NC | first year taking students
-Chicago College of Osteopathic Medicine | 3.56 | ? | ? |
-Des Moines University College of Osteopathic Medicine, IA |
-Kansas City University of Medicine and Biosciences |
-Lake Erie College of Osteopathic Medicine - Erie/Seton Hill, PA |
-Lake Erie College of Osteopathic Medicine - Bradenton Campus, FL |
-Lincoln Memorial University - DeBusk College of Osteopathic Medicine, TN |
-Marian University College of Osteopathic Medicine, IN | first year taking students
-Michigan State University College of Osteopathic Medicine, MI |
-New York College of Osteopathic Medicine of NYIT, NY |
-Nova Southeastern University College of Osteopathic Medicine, FL |
-Ohio University Heritage College of Osteopathic Medicine, OH |
-Oklahoma State University OK |
-Pacific Northwest University of Health Sciences WA |
-Philadelphia College of Osteopathic Medicine, PA |
-Georgia Campus - Philadelphia College of Osteopathic Medicine, GA |
-University of Pikeville-Kentucky, College of Osteopathic Medicine, KY |
-Rocky Vista University, College of Osteopathic Medicine, CO |
-Touro College of Osteopathic Medicine in New York, NY |
-Touro University College of Osteopathic Medicine - California, CA |
-Touro University College of Osteopathic Medicine - Nevada, NV |
-UMDNJ - School of Osteopathic Medicine, NJ |
-University of New England College of Osteopathic Medicine, ME |
-Edward Via College of Osteopathic Medicine -Virginia Campus, VA |
-Edward Via College of Osteopathic Medicine - Carolinas Campus, SC |
-West Virginia School of Osteopathic Medicine, Admissions Office, WV |
-Western University of Health Sciences - Pomona, CA + Lebanon, OR | 3.53 | 3.47 | 28
-William Carey University College of Osteopathic Medicine, MS |
that's a really helpful post, thanx

Campell according to their website has a bit of a bias towards in state residents as well as southern states. Some people claim marian has a bias but when I talked to those in admissions they said someone from florida would have an equal shot as someone from their home state. Alabama supposedly, again this is hearsay, prefers alabama residents. However, I think they'll end up having a lot of OOS people.

I was at SGU for a year doing an MPH, I was supposed to start their MD program this past January but I left (hints my name on here). I retook the MCAT and re-applied to DO schools and thank the good lord above got in. It wasn't for me and wasn't that great but I believe it isnt as bad as some people make it out to be. SGU has produced many successful doctors they just do things differently. If anyone is serious about applying feel free to PM.
I wasn't taking any slams at SGU, but the carrib in general. The thing is most pre-med students don't realize the Mt. Everest of a mountain that some carib med students will face... Sure there are some that end up going good places, but in general it is a bad situation. Anyways, back to underdogs..

I wasn't taking any slams at SGU, but the carrib in general. The thing is most pre-med students don't realize the Mt. Everest of a mountain that some carib med students will face... Sure there are some that end up going good places, but in general it is a bad situation. Anyways, back to underdogs..

Yikes I feel like Caribbean is my only option though. I don't want to go there because I think it will be easier, I want to go there because they might give me a shot at my dream to become a physician. Hell I'd go to med school in Iraq if that's what it takes! Being a poor student most of my college career put me in this position but I have changed my study habits as evidenced by my pretty good MCAT. All I need is a chance ya know?

Yikes I feel like Caribbean is my only option though. I don't want to go there because I think it will be easier, I want to go there because they might give me a shot at my dream to become a physician. Hell I'd go to med school in Iraq if that's what it takes! Being a poor student most of my college career put me in this position but I have changed my study habits as evidenced by my pretty good MCAT. All I need is a chance ya know?

thats the general consensus of the underdogs man, we all want just one chance. Whatever you decide to do, do your research before you make any hasty choices and make sure you're willing to do what it takes. People succeed from the carribean it's not as bad as some people say but it's still pretty challenging. I can safely say DO is probably a better option. maybe you could hook up with a DO post bacc program if all else fails?

We hear ya man! No one is doubting any of your passion towards medicine, we are just trying to help you get there. I understand having to worry about finances on getting to your goal, but applying to medical school isn't a cheap process either.

thats the general consensus of the underdogs man, we all want just one chance. Whatever you decide to do, do your research before you make any hasty choices and make sure you're willing to do what it takes. People succeed from the carribean it's not as bad as some people say but it's still pretty challenging. I can safely say DO is probably a better option. maybe you could hook up with a DO post bacc program if all else fails?

Are DO post bacc's generally easier to get into? Do you know which programs would accept my stats? This seems like a legitimate option. Also, does successfully completing the program give you a seat in the DO school?

sorry for the noob questions :)

Well for you, you can do an informal post bacc and retake a ton of classes but im not sure how many credits you have so that may end up taking you a year or more. It will prob cost less than a DO smp but chances are if you do well in a DO smp youll get in somewhere. Leecom offers guaranteed linkage and all you have to do is maintain a 3.0 with a 23 mcat in their program. LMU pretty much takes most of their post bacs from what ive heard and they even count the anatomy credit you do in their SMP so you wouldnt have to do it in med school. There are a ton of others.

I think even though your gpa is pretty low with that 35 mcat youd still get into an SMP but im not sure honestly. Youd have to email the schools and ask them.

Doing an informal post bacc could be good too but theres less guarantee, and it could translate to more time.

In theory both have their advantages/disadvantages.