The 2012-2013 Underdog Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
You could do a crappy undergrad w/ virtually no science courses, then a post bacc, all sciences and do well.
That's what happened to me, but I was wondering if that was the case for him/her too :)

Members don't see this ad.

cGPA 3.5
sGPA 3.28
MCAT: 21 on first practice test :( taking July 6th.

but I am a KY resident applying to UP-KYCOM so hopefully even if I get a 21 I'll still get an interview atleast...
i got into pikevilly with those gpas. however, you need to fix your mcat. im sure you'll increase your score with more testing. :thumbup:

Lots of people in here with similar/better stats than me. I'm joining this thread for real.

3.2/3.22/33Q

Members don't see this ad :)
Lots of people in here with similar/better stats than me. I'm joining this thread for real.

3.2/3.22/33Q
you aren't really the big of an underdog. that mcat will open lots of doors

you aren't really the big of an underdog. that mcat will open lots of doors
Agreed. Those GPAs are just a standard dev off from most average matriculants, MCAT is above average. Apply early and you should be fine.

cGPA: 3.41
sGPA: 3.04
MCAT: 29O
underdog cus of that sGPA, ugh, i dont have any C's either, just a lot of B/B- so slightly iffy to retake, really hoping that 29 shows im no dummy at science
would the fact i went to a prestigious college sort of mitigate the grades? obv i dont expect a whole lot of sympathy of course...
I think retaking the B- would be good. Have you calculated how many retakes for say a 3.3 (the average)?

I think retaking the B- would be good. Have you calculated how many retakes for say a 3.3 (the average)?

Yes, but the classes I could retake either aren't offered around where I live in the summer, or the units don't match up for a retake (i.e. I took the original course at a semester system school, and the retake is at a quarter system school) and I plan to apply June 1st.
I'm aware that its low, but I saw it was only around 1 standard deviation below the avg, and along with applying June 1, the 29 MCAT might help? Would no retakes be looked favorably, in the fact that I didn't have to retake a class because I got a C the first time?

cGPA: 3.41
sGPA: 3.04
MCAT: 29O
underdog cus of that sGPA, ugh, i dont have any C's either, just a lot of B/B- so slightly iffy to retake, really hoping that 29 shows im no dummy at science
would the fact i went to a prestigious college sort of mitigate the grades? obv i dont expect a whole lot of sympathy of course...
Your sGPA is what makes you an underdog...If it was 3.2+, you wouldn't be classified as an underdog. As it stands now, I think you will get in with no problem IMO.

So any thoughts on gpa wise how much of an underdog I am with my gpas? I recalculated my gpa and i actually have a 3.26 cum but a 3.33 science.

3.2/3.22/33Q
You are not an underdog at all. Some schools value MCAT more than GPAs...NOVA is one of them and I know that from a reliable source.

So any thoughts on gpa wise how much of an underdog I am with my gpas? I recalculated my gpa and i actually have a 3.26 cum but a 3.33 science.
If your mcat is 29+, you will not be an underdog...It's only your cGPA that is below average matriculated students.

Members don't see this ad :)
Fellow Underdogs, lets kick some butt.

3.002/2.94/24M

Originally applied 2 years ago with a 2.73/2.5/18N. Some improvement lol.

Hey yellowperil, sorry for being nitpicky/ridiculous, but could you please bold and underline the title before the stats like this: The Underdogs of 2012. They had it like that in last year's thread and it made it a little easier on the eyes. Thank you.

Also, I'll be a fellow Underdog this year. Just waiting on my Spring grades before I join. Does anyone else feel like this year's Underdogs so far seem a little less underdoggy overall? Could just be that we're still pretty early in the cycle and not as many people have jumped in or the competition is noticeably going up. Either way, I can't wait to get this thing going. Let's kill it!

Hey yellowperil, sorry for being nitpicky/ridiculous, but could you please bold and underline the title before the stats like this: The Underdogs of 2012. They had it like that in last year's thread and it made it a little easier on the eyes. Thank you.

Also, I'll be a fellow Underdog this year. Just waiting on my Spring grades before I join. Does anyone else feel like this year's Underdogs so far seem a little less underdoggy overall? Could just be that we're still pretty early in the cycle and not as many people have jumped in or the competition is noticeably going up. Either way, I can't wait to get this thing going. Let's kill it!

Yes! i was just noticing this as well.

cGPA: 3.65 sGPA: 3.45 and 22R (officially became underdog today), retake in progress.

Sorry to hear that man, when are you retaking?

June 21st or July 14th.

I did well on VR/PS which were my lowest scores on my AAMC, and my best score during my AAMC was BS, and I did about 40% of what i was scoring.

So I've been pretty down in the dumps lately after coming to grips with the fact that I have A LOT of re-taking to do before applying to even DO schools. :(

I just feel like my life is being put on hold and I will be stuck in some crappy community college while all my friends are moving on to med/grad schools and real world jobs....ugh. And by the time I do finish retaking everything my MCAT will probably have expired

The worst part is that my parents will very disappointed in me moving back home to re-take classes at the CC level

Someone tell me it will all be ok lol

for those who missed I am the ultimate underdog lol:

2.4 cgpa
35R mcat

So I've been pretty down in the dumps lately after coming to grips with the fact that I have A LOT of re-taking to do before applying to even DO schools. :(

I just feel like my life is being put on hold and I will be stuck in some crappy community college while all my friends are moving on to med/grad schools and real world jobs....ugh. And by the time I do finish retaking everything my MCAT will probably have expired

The worst part is that my parents will very disappointed in me moving back home to re-take classes at the CC level

2.4 cgpa
35R mcat
Have you considered simply doing another career? Med school is not the only thing you can do with your life. You can even do clinical things like respiratory therapy.

2.4 cgpa
35R mcat

What's your sGPA just to get a better picture?

2.4 cgpa
35R mcat

just do a semester and do a crazy course load, enough to get you a 2.7 and do a DO post bacc if you cant wait.

Underdog here.

CA Resident
cGPA: 3.25
sGPA: 3.21
MCAT: 24 (Will retake in August/September)

Last edited:
just do a semester and do a crazy course load, enough to get you a 2.7 and do a DO post bacc if you cant wait.

I think this is a very real option. Doing a year of retakes and then doing a post-bacc like LECOM will hopefully get you into DO school.

Add me as a very big underdog, CA resident, graduated from UC Davis with a Genetics degree.

Cum GPA: 2.95
Sci GPA: 2.88
MCAT: 31Q

I've retaken about 5 classes, and am thinking about taking two classes from UNECOM online before I submit my app, which will bring both my GPA's very close to 3.0, but I am not sure if I will be able to get to that before I submit. I have very average extra curriculars, so hopefully applying early and my MCAT will help. Any advice or encouragement is welcome, and I am definitely open to post-bacc programs with linkage.

2.4 cgpa
35R mcat
junkfoosow, you shouldn't give up if your heart is really in medicine. The MCAT is such a rigorous test and your score shows mastery of the concepts. YOU ARE CAPABLE. I think you should consider retaking retaking the classes or SMP.

Add me as a very big underdog, CA resident, graduated from UC Davis with a Genetics degree.

I've retaken about 5 classes, and am thinking about taking two classes from UNECOM online before I submit my app, which will bring both my GPA's very close to 3.0, but I am not sure if I will be able to get to that before I submit. I have very average extra curriculars, so hopefully applying early and my MCAT will help. Any advice or encouragement is welcome, and I am definitely open to post-bacc programs with linkage.

Check my MDApps profile <------------- Play your cards right, apply early, and impress at the interview. You still have a chance without a Post-Bac. I applied to like 20 schools, and received 5 interview invites... all it takes is one acceptance.

Go aggies, my friend. Go aggies! I'll be rooting for you. Just in case you didn't know, 1 in every 3 Davis applicants ends up matriculating in a DO school, so the acceptance rate is probably a bit higher than that. Great odds if you ask me.

Oh wow. I'm an Aggie too!

2.4 cgpa
35R mcat

Your GPA is a little bit lower than mine, but your MCAT is a full 5 points higher than mine. I got in first try. I think you should retake courses to get as close to 3.0 as possible, but only for 1 year. By this time next year, assuming you are anywhere above 2.7-2.8 you should be able to find your way into a school somewhere. That 35 will go a lot further than you might imagine. Your only problem right now is that the GPA is below the cutoff for any school (that I'm aware of).

If you were above 2.5, I'd suggest applying this year and seeing what happened. Because even if you didn't get in, it would be easy to show improvement for the next cycle.

Play your cards right, and impress at interviews (you'll probably have 1-3 interviews granted) and you have a very real chance this year I'd say. My cGPA was a little higher, my sGPA was pretty much identical, and my MCAT was a point lower. I got in first try without needing retakes.

Best of luck, and PM if you have questions or want to talk strategy.

Too many aggies in this thread. Need more anteater D:

Finishing informal post-bac (physics 1&2) this summer and then MCAT Aug 16. Just took GC2 & biochem (A & A-) in my first round of PB classes.

B.S. in Psychology
cGPA: 3.07 (4 semesters of C's in Japanese and did poorly in upper level math/econ classes)
sGPA: 3.5
MCAT: TBD

CA resident (undergrad in VA)
Touro-CA is my dream school

I failed a p/f econometrics class but at the time I didn't realize my school counts p/f fails as an F on your GPA calculation... Hopefully I have this wrong... if your school calculates p/f as an F, AACOMAS wants to see it as an F? If I mark it as a non-pass, cGPA:3.15.

Well, I will start the new underdog thread for the upcoming cycle. I hope everyone get accept into at least one school. I have a lot of free time upcoming summer/fall semester. I will not apply this cycle, but the 2013-2014 cycle.Good luck everyone!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Copied from DJACK thread
"Please consider your statistics before posting in the thread. Each person has their own definition of what an Underdog is or should be. However, posting that you think you are an Underdog with a 32+ MCAT and a 3.5+ GPA doesn't exactly qualify you as one, and doesn't help anyone who is going to really struggle to get in.

When posting statistics to share on this thread, please post as like this:
sdn name- cGPA, sGPA, MCAT
That way this year we can also ensure everyone can use both the cGPA and sGPA as a reference, as well as the MCAT.

The Underdogs had great success last year and hopefully this year we can keep it up!
The Underdogs of 2012
SDN name/cGPA/sGPA/MCAT

MedPR: 3.20, 3.22, 28
Colesmalls: 3.26 3.33 TBD
mfas: 2.95, 3.48, 25
NurWollen: 3.46, 3.19, 29
DocFelt: 3.20 3.20 TBD (June 21st)
underdog12: 3.15, 2.95, 34
Temperature101: 3.15 , 3.28 TBD
Ibn Alnafis MD: 3.33, 3.35 TBD
wildcard0187: 3.24, 3.04 TBD
physcigirl27: 3.1, 2.66 28
LPpostbacc 3.14/3.76/TBD
Alexandriagrece: 3.46,3.32, 23T
Camshark: 3.22, 3.4 TBD
junkfoosow: 2.4, 2.7, 35
as1212559: 3.3, 3.0 29
Technay: 3.1, 3.1 20S
chicago5950: 3.5, 3.28, TDB (21 on first practice test)
jccalalafc: 3.41, 3.04, 29
Sasha3: 3.45, 3.65, 22
Gsun88: 3.002, 2.94 24
GHETTOFLOW21: 2.95 2.88 31
pewpewmeister: 3.25, 3.21 24

Last year's Underdog Thread: http://forums.sdn.net/showthread.php?t=820171
2010-2011 thread: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=736438
What is an underdog? Formula from last year's thread...
Formula:
MCAT/2 + sGPA*10 = Applicant Score

The science GPA of an average applicant
The average applicant (according to the 2011 applicant data: 25.66 MCAT, 3.26sGPA) will then have their "applicant score" as 45.43, as per the formula: (25.66/2) + (3.26*10) = 45.43

The overall GPA of an average applicant
The average applicant (according to the 2011 applicant data: 25.66 MCAT, 3.41 overall GPA) will then have their "applicant score" as 46.93, as per the formula: (25.66/2) + (3.41*10) = 46.93

The science GPA of an average matriculant
The average matriculant (according to the 2011 matriculant data: 26.51 MCAT, 3.36sGPA) will then have their "applicant"score" as 46.855, as per the formula: (26.51/2) + (3.36*10) = 46.855

The overall GPA of an average matriculant
The average matriculant (according to the 2011 matriculant data: 26.51 MCAT, 3.48 overall GPA) will then have their "applicant"score" as 48.055, as per the formula: (26.51/2) + (3.48*10) =48.055
just out of curiosity, how many other underdogs for 2012-2013 completed some form of post bac work? I'm just wondering if I'm the only one who didn't do a post bac.

Fellow Underdogs, lets kick some butt.

3.002/2.94/24M

Originally applied 2 years ago with a 2.73/2.5/18N. Some improvement lol.
Great improvement...If your ECs are great, I think you might have a shot at the low tiers DO.

Joining the underdog group
3.1cGPA 2.85 sGPA
28R MCAT, retook in April

You guys seem really well informed and I haven't seen much talk about this so I thought I'd ask, what do you consider "top tier" DO schools?
Would appreciate any insight!
Thanks!

My stats didn't show up on the list. No love for the UpwardTrend. ;)

UpwardTrend: 3.10, 3.80, TBD (6/21)

My stats didn't show up on the list. No love for the UpwardTrend. ;)

UpwardTrend: 3.10, 3.80, TBD (6/21)

You are not considered as an underdog since the 3.8 in science gpa. If you add a 22 on mcat (hopefully you won't score that), then you are considered as an underdog.

Guess I can't be considered an underdog anymore...3.4 cGPA/3.3 sGPA and 31S MCAT. Good luck to all the underdogs in this thread though!

Its odd to me that people are being denied the underdog status. Being an underdog goes beyond GPA/MCAT . One can have excellent stats but little to no clinical experience,lack of community service, mediocre/bad Letters, lack of funds to apply to as many schools as they ideally should, etc In previous years' underdog threads there were many people whose statistics were around most schools average and they were still welcomed to the underdog club.

Its odd to me that people are being denied the underdog status. Being an underdog goes beyond GPA/MCAT . One can have excellent stats but little to no clinical experience,lack of community service, mediocre/bad Letters, lack of funds to apply to as many schools as they ideally should, etc In previous years' underdog threads there were many people whose statistics were around most schools average and they were still welcomed to the underdog club.

I agree. I think anyone who wants to, can be part of the thread. There is no thread bouncer, just an organizer. Each reader can interpret for themselves who they deem to be an UD....

Feel free to copy the previous list and add your name to it.

I agree. I think anyone who wants to, can be part of the thread. There is no thread bouncer, just an organizer. Each reader can interpret for themselves who they deem to be an UD....

What we need is a sub-category for people that have those issues. They need to be explicit about them. Otherwise it just appears like an average applicant. If we add anyone that wants to be labelled an underdog without some screening process, we are defeating the purpose of the thread.

thread bouncer..haha good one! I still need to find out my final GPA to determine if i am a underdog, but I made my previous post because i noticed that some people were being told they aren't considered underdogs which meant that they can't be added to yellowperil's list. Nobody makes it their dream to be an underdog but if their application is lacking in areas other than GPA/MCAT hence making them underdogs, then the "thread bouncers" shouldn't tell them otherwise. just my opinion.

I think most using this thread can identify true "UD'ERS," and those just trolling thru SDN. And **most** can identify who they might be similar to in stats, and so forth.

IMO, this thread should be for those to find less qualified applicants, which vary from a range of 100:1 long shots to maybe 7:2 odds. ??

How many people were accepted from the last underdog thread anyone know? Did the majority in the last thread make it?