The 2012-2013 Underdog Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
oh nice wasn't sure there would be a list. So it was about 54%
It's a deceiving number though. Some didn't bother to update at all.

Members don't see this ad.

a lot of people from last years list got in; he's saying it's deceiving because some of the people that got in didn't update, so it looks like they didn't get in.

Members don't see this ad :)
a lot of people from last years list got in; he's saying it's deceiving because some of the people that got in didn't update, so it looks like they didn't get in.

ahh kk true, if I didn't count the ones that were blank I got around 73% got in which could be a good approx or prob even higher. But yea it still doesn't account for the ones that received an interview, but did not update from there so who knows really

ahh kk true, if I didn't count the ones that were blank I got around 73% got in which could be a good approx or prob even higher. But yea it still doesn't account for the ones that received an interview, but did not update from there so who knows really

is the number really that high? not that im complaining, but seeing that there are so many good DO candidates on the "what are my chances" forum

Last edited:
is the number really that high? not that im complaining, but seeing that there are so many good DO candidates on the "what are my chances" forum

the 73% is a rough calculation from the last years underdog thread who got in, the ppl who posted in this type of thread from last year, notified they received an acceptance and out of all the ppl who participated that is the percentage. That is pretty good considering their GPA or MCAT was below average for D.O schools.

One key thing for people to remember...

Many of us feel like underdogs, especially on SDN, where 3.6 is "marginal" and a 30 is "time to retake". But this isn't reality. At many osteopathic schools a B+ average and a decent MCAT will get you a look, and if everything looks good maybe an interview. It's called being an average applicant.

As far as non-stat based underdogs. This should include international students, people with a significant criminal history (not one old possesion/drinking ticket or something similar), or people with very minimal ECs (not people with zero clinical experience/shadowing - because they should NOT be applying since they don't understand the profession they are trying to enter).

One key thing for people to remember...

Many of us feel like underdogs, especially on SDN, where 3.6 is "marginal" and a 30 is "time to retake". But this isn't reality. At many osteopathic schools a B+ average and a decent MCAT will get you a look, and if everything looks good maybe an interview. It's called being an average applicant.

As far as non-stat based underdogs. This should include international students, people with a significant criminal history (not one old possesion/drinking ticket or something similar), or people with very minimal ECs (not people with zero clinical experience/shadowing - because they should NOT be applying since they don't understand the profession they are trying to enter).

Yea SDN....everyone on this site tend to be on top of their game.
I believe this thread does include people with previous criminal history, and academic dishonesty or such from their school etc.

Yea SDN....everyone on this site tend to be on top of their game.
I believe this thread does include people with previous criminal history, and academic dishonesty or such from their school etc.

It is very hard to know if they have previous criminal history,or academic dishonesty unless they reveal it. This is the internet forum so I have to go off what people posts.

Well, I'm not sure if I will be re-applying this year or not, as I am still on 3 wait lists, but I will have fairly bland GPAs (something like a 3.5 cGPA, 3.3sGPA) and an above average MCAT (30-O). The catch is that I had to take 17 credits this past semester to graduate along with interviewing at 3 schools. Needless to say, my sGPA for the semester was not the greatest. To make matters a bit worse, these were all upper level sciences, one of which was a B- and another probably a C. I am reporting on the application that I will be retaking cell bio and ochem 1 (taken sophomore year, got a C+).

Last year, I applied really late, as in wasn't complete with letters until Feb. I didn't interview at LECOM until Feb and AZCOM/CCOM until Apr. I only applied to four DO schools, and DMU was the only one to not give me an interview. I'm not sure if I will have the same success getting interviews this cycle. I hope that a bit of a limp to the finish line doesn't hurt me, but we'll see. I'm applying June 1st, and to pretty much any school that doesn't have a strong bias against out-of-staters.

I realize that I'm probably not an underdog, just an average applicant, but I'm curious to find out how a difficult semester will affect my chances.

Oh, and I have plenty of EC's, but shadowing hours are a bit thin (about 50 hrs or so) and I don't have any research experience (track took up a lot of time, didn't realize that washing dishes/counting nematodes in a lab was important for med school).

Well, I'm not sure if I will be re-applying this year or not, as I am still on 3 wait lists, but I will have fairly bland GPAs (something like a 3.5 cGPA, 3.3sGPA) and an above average MCAT (30-O). The catch is that I had to take 17 credits this past semester to graduate along with interviewing at 3 schools. Needless to say, my sGPA for the semester was not the greatest. To make matters a bit worse, these were all upper level sciences, one of which was a B- and another probably a C. I am reporting on the application that I will be retaking cell bio and ochem 1 (taken sophomore year, got a C+).

Last year, I applied really late, as in wasn't complete with letters until Feb. I didn't interview at LECOM until Feb and AZCOM/CCOM until Apr. I only applied to four DO schools, and DMU was the only one to not give me an interview. I'm not sure if I will have the same success getting interviews this cycle. I hope that a bit of a limp to the finish line doesn't hurt me, but we'll see. I'm applying June 1st, and to pretty much any school that doesn't have a strong bias against out-of-staters.

I realize that I'm probably not an underdog, just an average applicant, but I'm curious to find out how a difficult semester will affect my chances.

Oh, and I have plenty of EC's, but shadowing hours are a bit thin (about 50 hrs or so) and I don't have any research experience (track took up a lot of time, didn't realize that washing dishes/counting nematodes in a lab was important for med school).
If you are waitlisted at LECOM, you have a very good chance of getting off the waitlist. From what I read on the LECOM school thread 2011-2012, about 90% of those who are on the waitlist was offered a seat last year ( 2010-2011).

i think most using this thread can identify true "ud'ers," and those just trolling thru sdn. And **most** can identify who they might be similar to in stats, and so forth.

Imo, this thread should be for those to find less qualified applicants, which vary from a range of 100:1 long shots to maybe 7:2 odds. ??

+1.

Your last difficult semester won't kill your application. You would have been accepted last cycle if you applied earlier. Being complete in February is beyond late. You don't need to retake any classes with those GPAs, but you can if you wish. Maybe brush up on interviewing skills and do a few mock interviews with people who don't know you very well (physician you shadowed, or family friend or a distant cousin or your dog).

Members don't see this ad :)

I wouldn't call those GPAs bland, theyre alright really

I doubt you'll have a problem getting an acceptance this year if you manage to become complete before October.

3.48 non-sci
3.27 sci
24Q (11PS, 5VR, 11BS)

:xf:

you can add me to the UD list

cGPA: 3.15
sGPA 3.09
MCAT: 8BS, 9PS, 11VR, Q = 28Q

Good luck everyone!

BTW, what are some schools that everyone is looking at as an underdog?

you can add me to the UD list

cGPA: 3.15
sGPA 3.09
MCAT: 8BS, 9PS, 11VR, Q = 28Q

Good luck everyone!

BTW, what are some schools that everyone is looking at as an underdog?

LOL.. opps :laugh: sorry it was past my bedtime.

I just took the MCAT...and now I am officially the under-doggest of all

I just took the MCAT...and now I am officially the under-doggest of all

Hopefully you did well. Was it today's MCAT? Everyone is complaining about it in their thread, I don't blame them, must be extremely difficult. My test date is July 6th and just hopin to do well enough to get an acceptance

thanx angldrps. I was so tempted to void my scores after the biological section...

torshi - yea, I just took it today. I don't want to reverberate the sentiments on the other thread too much, but the biological section was an EFFING BEAST.

Good luck to you guys this application season.

I am jumping in this thread

3.4sGPA
3.3cGPA
26Q(9ps, 6VR, 11bs)

Decent EC's with lots of clinical experience though, no research :(

Hoping for a win this time! Good luck peoples!

I am jumping in this thread

3.4sGPA
3.3cGPA
26Q(9ps, 6VR, 11bs)

Decent EC's with lots of clinical experience though, no research :(

Hoping for a win this time! Good luck peoples!
You're an average applicant. The 6 is not a deal breaker for DO, neither the lack of research.

Someone just got into LMU with a 5 on BS. Closer to an exception than the rule, but a 6 doesn't kill your chances.

Someone just got into LMU with a 5 on BS. Closer to an exception than the rule, but a 6 doesn't kill your chances.
5 in BS which arguablely the most important section in the mcat. That person is very lucky....

Great improvement...If your ECs are great, I think you might have a shot at the low tiers DO.

Thanks!!!! I've been an EMT/Firefighter for about 8 years, worked at a hospital for 4 years, I work with a professor for TB drugs, and I am an AHA CPR Instructor. Also, my one hope is that UMDNJ SOM takes me since I am an NJ resident, graduated from UMDNJ with a Masters, and my professor knows people. In any case, thanks! This raises my confidence a little.

The cutoff I've seen at osteopathic schools is a 6, but you may be right. I haven't checked all schools.

Which schools if you don't mind me asking? Did you call the schools or see it on the websites cuz I don't recall seeing any with a stated cutoff score online.

Which schools if you don't mind me asking? Did you call the schools or see it on the websites cuz I don't recall seeing any with a stated cutoff score online.
Schools like Rocky Vista say it on their website. Others imply it as "6 or higher to be competitive."

Officially can join ! cGPA:3.36 sGPA:3.40 Mcat:TBD

I'm halfway through the material, I spent all last semester studying on and off, but now that school is over, I'm in overdrive mode and gonna study at least 6hrs+ a day! Hope it works :/

I'm halfway through the material, I spent all last semester studying on and off, but now that school is over, I'm in overdrive mode and gonna study at least 6hrs+ a day! Hope it works :/

my date is July 6th as well. I think I'm finish up bio tonight, chem tomorrow. Do some ochem tomorrow as well. Physics is my main concern.

i'm almost done with content, I think I might do my first AAMC this coming weekend, but my physics is weak, and kinda don't want to waste it

I just finished up ochem at school so i am totally refreshed on that, i'm def scared about gchem and physics!! :(

Grades are in, here I am:

nirvikalpa: 3.43, 3.20, TBD (2 extremely low scores already [<20] - banking on June 21st's score!)

I have a great nsGPA (3.72, with a 3.8 in math courses). There are two classes listed as science courses that may be moved to non-science, in which case my sGPA would be more like 3.16.

Soooo nervous, it's really crunch time :scared:

Best of luck everyone!

i just spent the past 2 days calling every single damn school on the aacom school list... and here's all the schools that said "they screen for anything below a 7 or 8"

WesternU
RVU
KCUMB
TCOM
TOURO-NV

Most other schools said whether it's a 9, 9, 9 or a 11 5 11, they don't care.
I asked if they look at the writing score, "yes we view the whole application"
and a few said "what's that? :laugh:"

i just spent the past 2 days calling every single damn school on the aacom school list... and here's all the schools that said "they screen for anything below a 7 or 8"

WesternU
RVU
KCUMB
TCOM
TOURO-NV

Most other schools said whether it's a 9, 9, 9 or a 11 5 11, they don't care.
I asked if they look at the writing score, "yes we view the whole application"
and a few said "what's that? :laugh:"

LOL! no wonder, the writing section is being eliminated by next year. I have a 11 on verbal but only a N on writing. Apparently, I can read but not write. lol