The 2012-2013 Underdog Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
not sure if underdog, but certainly feel like it today.

c.gpa 3.47 s.gpa 3.72 MCAT 24...just got mcat today :( BS10 VR6 PS8
Try this year's thread.

Members don't see this ad.

I only created this account to share my experience. I don't care if anyone believes me or not, as long as this story can encourage at least one person to pursue his/her dream, I am happy :)

I struggled throughout college and ended up graduating with a 2.1 science GPA and 2.5 overall GPA, majoring in Bio at a state school. This was the result of poor study habit and sickness. I'm not sure what took over me, but I was crazy enough to still pursue medicine. I did 3 years informal postbac (basically retook about 20 classes to boost my GPA). I could not apply to any postbac programs with GPA cutoff. Then I took the MCAT and was pretty sad to only get 26: 10BS,10PS,6VR. At this point, my GPA (so hard to repair) was around 2.8 after many retakes. I retook the MCAT and sadly, it actually dropped to 22. However, I had many good clinical and volunteering experiences. I had no research experience, whatsoever. Because of my GPA, professors did not accept me into their research lab. I had no leadership position and not URM. However, I did not give up. I applied to a DO Postbac program and was accepted (could not believe it!). From my performance, I was accepted into their DO class. Because of my stats, I'm sorry I cannot go into more specifics, but this is one of the hardest DO schools to get into. Because of this acceptance, I did not apply to any other medical school (I get to say I've never been rejected from a medical school!)

PS: I'm currently ranking in the top 10% of my DO class :) I have a very balanced life. I still spend a decent amount of time with friends and family and getting 8 hours of sleep every night.

Good luck to everyone! Do not give up! You just gotta find a school that believes in you! Someday you could be an "Overdog" :thumbup:

Last edited:
DO schools also ask for ridiculous deposits to secure your seat.
Word. The privates anyhow.

I always thought that if you can pay/take out loans for $200k for 4 years then why can't you pay an extra $500 for more applications?
Because you actually have to have that money for applying/interviewing. Once you have a seat in a class is when the magic money becomes available. And trust me it is both magic and fleeting.

Members don't see this ad :)
I only created this account to share my experience. I don't care if anyone believes me or not, as long as this story can encourage at least one person to pursue his/her dream, I am happy :)

I struggled throughout college and ended up graduating with a 2.1 science GPA and 2.5 overall GPA, majoring in Bio at a state school. This was the result of poor study habit and sickness. I'm not sure what took over me, but I was crazy enough to still pursue medicine. I did 3 years informal postbac (basically retook about 20 classes to boost my GPA). I could not apply to any postbac programs with GPA cutoff. Then I took the MCAT and was pretty sad to only get 26: 10BS,10PS,6VR. At this point, my GPA (so hard to repair) was around 2.8 after many retakes. I retook the MCAT and sadly, it actually dropped to 22. However, I had many good clinical and volunteering experiences. I had no research experience, whatsoever. Because of my GPA, professors did not accept me into their research lab. I had no leadership position and not URM. However, I did not give up. I applied to a DO Postbac program and was accepted (could not believe it!). From my performance, I was accepted into their DO class. Because of my stats, I'm sorry I cannot go into more specifics, but this is one of the hardest DO schools to get into. Because of this acceptance, I did not apply to any other medical school (I get to say I've never been rejected from a medical school!)

PS: I'm currently ranking in the top 10% of my DO class :) I have a very balanced life. I still spend a decent amount of time with friends and family and getting 8 hours of sleep every night.

Good luck to everyone! Do not give up! You just gotta find a school that believes in you! Someday you could be an "Overdog" :thumbup:

This is a great story :thumbup:. Congrats man. I hope you match into the speciality/pc of your choice.

i only created this account to share my experience. I don't care if anyone believes me or not, as long as this story can encourage at least one person to pursue his/her dream, i am happy :)

i struggled throughout college and ended up graduating with a 2.1 science gpa and 2.5 overall gpa, majoring in bio at a state school. This was the result of poor study habit and sickness. I'm not sure what took over me, but i was crazy enough to still pursue medicine. I did 3 years informal postbac (basically retook about 20 classes to boost my gpa). I could not apply to any postbac programs with gpa cutoff. Then i took the mcat and was pretty sad to only get 26: 10bs,10ps,6vr. At this point, my gpa (so hard to repair) was around 2.8 after many retakes. I retook the mcat and sadly, it actually dropped to 22. However, i had many good clinical and volunteering experiences. I had no research experience, whatsoever. Because of my gpa, professors did not accept me into their research lab. I had no leadership position and not urm. However, i did not give up. I applied to a do postbac program and was accepted (could not believe it!). From my performance, i was accepted into their do class. Because of my stats, i'm sorry i cannot go into more specifics, but this is one of the hardest do schools to get into. Because of this acceptance, i did not apply to any other medical school (i get to say i've never been rejected from a medical school!)

ps: I'm currently ranking in the top 10% of my do class :) i have a very balanced life. I still spend a decent amount of time with friends and family and getting 8 hours of sleep every night.

Good luck to everyone! Do not give up! You just gotta find a school that believes in you! Someday you could be an "overdog" :thumbup:

lecom-e?

As they say, persistence is key, and it paid off for you. I'm glad to hear your story.

That is an amazing story and I wish you the best