The 2015 LIS pre-vet challenge

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LetItSnow

Skipping the light fandango
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
This was in the rant thread - I'm giving it its own home.

Challenging any pre-vets to shave down their cat and draw/paint anatomically correct musculature on one side and skeleton on the other. Pics must satisfy me that you actually did it and didn't find something on the Internet, though DVMD assures me nothing is out there.

A useful vet school text* will be awarded to the person best meeting the challenge, as decided by an impartial panel consisting of @DVMDream and @dyachei and me.

Contest closes on April 1. I own the rights to any pictures submitted. Starting April 2nd, the judges will evaluate any submissions, picking the best one. If there is only one, it still must meet the criteria to win.

Addendum #1: Musculature/skeleton does not need to be depicted on tail or head; those parts also do not need to be shaved. You do not need to shave feet, either.

*There will be at least three options.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
10259868_748558118573694_1748688367274498399_n.jpg

It's on!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
If cat is already a short-hair, would (non-toxic) paint on the fur be acceptable?

I kind of feel like it's animal cruelty to draw on your cat. Would methods other than actually drawing on the cat be acceptable?

What specifically did you have in mind? I mean, you're free to paint it on or whatever. Draw is a loose term here.

This was in the rant thread - I'm giving it its own home.

Challenging any pre-vets to shave down their cat and draw anatomically correct musculature on one side and skeleton on the other. Pics must satisfy me that you actually did it and didn't find something on the Internet, though DVMD assures me nothing is out there.

A useful vet school text* will be awarded to the first person to meet the challenge in a satisfactory way, as decided by an impartial panel consisting of @DVMDream and @dyachei and me.

Contest closes by April 1. I own the rights to any pictures submitted. Submission times will be determined by posting the pics here.

*There will be at least three options.

I have been wanting cat recently after I placed my last foster into a home. This makes me want to foster another kitty :( :(

Me too. I don't want to be the only one >.<

After further consideration, the stated rules included "shave down." So no markings over fur would meet the criteria.

Give him a lion cut, he'll look majestic

Members don't see this ad :)
Now I gotta find myself a small set of clippers. Hmmmmm

I feel like my foster agency would not be pleased with me if I showed up at this weekends event with a bunch of shaved kitties... But I am so tempted! If I was still pre-vet, I'd be all over this. :shifty:

What specifically did you have in mind? I mean, you're free to paint it on or whatever. Draw is a loose term here.
Could I draw it on a picture of a shaved cat? I could do some really cool detail that way, and I wouldn't have any ethical issues with my cats consuming whatever ink/stain/paint that I used.

@LetItSnow will decisions be made in April, or to whomever satisfies the judges' requirements first? I almost don't want this to become a race, and would like to take time to plan and accustom my cat to handling

Could I draw it on a picture of a shaved cat? I could do some really cool detail that way, and I wouldn't have any ethical issues with my cats consuming whatever ink/stain/paint that I used.
You could use non-toxic face paint, non-toxic finger paint meant for kids, or special pet paint. When the Big Cat Rescue in Tampa had some of their residents paint, they used finger paint.

I have some acrylics here, but I'm going to look for some paints that are kid friendly, since if a child runs the risk of eating it, then it's definitely non-toxic.

Reactions: 2 users
After further consideration, the stated rules included "shave down." So no markings over fur would meet the criteria.

Whelp, I'm out. I might just do it over fur anyway for funsies.

The tagging system appears to be a bit selective lately.... sometimes I am getting alerts and sometimes not...

This shall be interesting... I am looking forward to some good cat pictures... :)

This would probably not be a good idea for those of you with a kitty that doesn't have a warm place to stay/can't handle sweaters if you live in states that do not warm back up until May or later, BTW. ;)

7f57ba9c8be1787cc51defe202719771.jpg

Reactions: 3 users
Luckily, one of my roommates is into knitting and crochet, so a kitten sweater for an indoor cat will be no problem for her ^_^

Good point. Can this open to dogs/reptiles as well? Would make for wider competition

Ohh! It's too bad I'm ineligible since I was gonna shave for ultrasound eventually anyway.

I've seen markers at pet stores that you can buy (to draw on white dogs) and horse people draw on their ponies with special chalk, so that would be the way to go I think.

1461647_10151710624107563_1034644161_n.jpg

I'm pretty sure this is her "Yeah, try me" face. I'm also sure that if I did try it I wouldn't actually survive to see the beginning of vet school!

Ohh! It's too bad I'm ineligible since I was gonna shave for ultrasound eventually anyway.

I've seen markers at pet stores that you can buy (to draw on white dogs) and horse people draw on their ponies with special chalk, so that would be the way to go I think.
Maybe I'm missing something, but how does that make you ineligible?

@LetItSnow will decisions be made in April, or to whomever satisfies the judges' requirements first? I almost don't want this to become a race, and would like to take time to plan and accustom my cat to handling

Hm. Your point is well made. But at the same time, I'm not giving out awards to everyone who does it (not that I expect any/many to do it, but I don't want to be on the hook to award multiple people).

Hm. Options are, as best I can see:

1) First entry that satisfies wins.
2) Set a deadline, and judges pick from the best entry at that time. If it's only one entry, wins by default it meets the requirements.

@DVMDream and @dyachei ... opinions? I'm inclined toward option 2.

Reactions: 1 users
I'm so happy this is a real, official contest now. :D

I was wondering if you'd ever find the actual thread :p

Crushed it.:banana:

Attachments

• 10506947_10152642099204586_5788329107593118132_o.jpg
    10506947_10152642099204586_5788329107593118132_o.jpg
    189.4 KB · Views: 154
Reactions: 10 users
I am particularly fond of the "guts" :cat:

I am still trying to figure out what the orange thing is... and why the lungs are behind the heart... and what happened to the kidneys, spleen and liver (unless the orange things is liver, but I am thinking stomach).... and why the orange thing is between the lungs .. hmm...
I think the orange thing is liver, and she left out stomach, kidneys, and spleen. Which is definitely problematic for the health of her cat...

I am still trying to figure out what the orange thing is... and why the lungs are behind the heart... and what happened to the kidneys, spleen and liver (unless the orange things is liver, but I am thinking stomach).... and why the orange thing is between the lungs .. hmm...
Glad I could provide you such a brain teaser :laugh:

I think the orange thing is liver, and she left out stomach, kidneys, and spleen. Which is definitely problematic for the health of her cat...

This is likely why her cat appears so lethargic...

Reactions: 2 users